CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
This afternoon I did a Tri-Freak sprint try which was a fixed time rather than a fixed distance race. We did 15 minutes in the water on the bike and on the track. This swim was actually only 14 minutes to let people finish that lap and get to their bikes which were on stationary trainers. I have been doing very little tri training of late but I figured I could squeeze out 750 yards in the swim, 5 miles on the bike and 1.5 miles or so on the run. I managed to go .55 miles or 950 yards on the swim, 6.12 miles on the bike and 1.89 miles on the run. Great early season performance for my tired old legs...should be a good season. All you folks that were asking about triathlon on CF workouts...works for me.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Nice job Eugene! There are 3 sprint tris a year at the UA, I've entered two in my time, maybe I'll end up entering another one for fun sometime--race on my fixed-gear and everything!

Dr. G
Old 01-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Kendall Frederick

Profile:  
Sounds good! Our local club (the Hammerheads) does several early season workouts which are similar; we all swim, bike run 30 minutes, so that everyone's doing the same thing at the same time.

I am hoping I can get my calf healed enough to run consistently before the end of February, at any rate. My goals are to place in my age group at several sprint tris this summer, and if the master's swim helps me get a LOT faster in the water, perhaps in an Oly in August. :happy:
Old 01-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Good stuff! I'm aiming for a sprint tri in Louisville, KY in July - .75K swim, 20K bike, 5K run.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Scott - more than enough time to train. The one weakness in CF only tri training is the swimming so you will have to work on that separately. Be sure to work on swim form, swim fitness comes coincidentally with the practice (neurological development) of your swim technique. Check out Terry Laughlin's http://www.totalimmersion.net/ which is THE way to swim.

With those distances transition becomes very critcal, you can lose crazy amounts of time in transition which is a waste because it is free, free in the sense of not costing you any calories. Wear what you will race in under your wetsuit, if it is a no wetsuit swim wear a singlet down in your trunks that you pull over your shoulders as you exit the water. Use an elastic race number belt to put your number on in T1. Don't bother with socks. Consider getting some Pyro's or other similar platform rather than bike shoes so you don't have to change foot gear. Practice running off the bike to get used to that feeling, it's the toughest part of the race.

Keep doing the WOD's (more accurately W'sOD but that looks silly) and throw in 3 days a week of swimming if you can. Do some bike specific workouts and Spinervals is perfect for this. For only 3.1 miles in the run your CF training will handle the lion's share of that...but do some extra anyway.

Take an outside line on the swim...don't line up in the middle, unless you are comfortable with the starting frenzy. It gets pretty rough in the early going of the swim start. Wear your goggles tightly, look for fast feet.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
Adam Gagliardi

Profile:

Eugene thats pretty cool.i love reading you tri advice, as i am going to attempt my first tri' in a few months(just sprints for now). anyway, just wanted to say thanks, and keep osting the good advice----Adam
Old 01-23-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
My pleasure Adam. As much as you read it I like to write it, nice how that works. There are so many little tricks in racing regarding equipment, training, nutrition, tactics, transition tricks and so on that you just can't help but improve from one race to another as you make a list of I should haves.

Feel free to ask questions adn be sure to write about your own race experiences. Hopefully you are doing bricks. That bike/run transition is really a bear and needs to be prepared for.

Relentless forward motion.

eug
Old 01-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Hey Eugene, thanks for the tips! I don't really have anywhere to swim, so I won't have alot of practice leading up to that part. But it is less than a half mile, so I'm hoping I can limp through it (I'm a decent swimmer anyway, but not competition ready). I'm just going out with a couple friends to have a good time, not so much to try to place.

Why is the bike/run transition so hard?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Not so much the transition as in getting out of your bike shoes and into your running shoes, but running on muscles that have just been subjected to biking for however many miles. You will be switching from a quad specific event to a hamstring specific event and it takes a while for all the blood to move from front to back. In order to hurry it along be sure to spin a bit a mile out, then a half mile out get in a big gear and stand for some pedal strokes that mimic running...pull up on the back stroke to involve the hammies more as well. A quarter mile out unstrap your shoes and put your foot on top of the shoe as you pedal into T2. Rack your bike, drop your helmet, get a drink, slip on your shoes and off you go.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
Way to go Gene - I'm learning as much from your posts are I did in all the reading I did last year on triathlons.