CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
Chris Cypert

Profile:  
After so much discussion about callous care I lost one today. I was doing "Angie" (and posting a pathetic 19:45) and ripped a deeply rooted callous almost entirely off. You can see muscle under the flap of torn callous. I'm going to SFAS on 19MAR and need some pointers on how best to heal up. My issue is that if I just stop doing anything that wears on my hands (pull ups, cleans, dbl swings, etc) I'll be showing up at SFAS with a weaker upper body than I have now. If I tape up my gimp hand and just keep rolling then I may show up to SFAS (where they aren't excactly kind to your hands) with a festering wound. The crux of my question is this:

How do I find a happy medium between letting the wound heal (while quickly rebuilding the callous, which I'll desperately need in a month) and staying active enough to at least maintain my current upper body strength and stamina.

Should I go ahead and cut the callous off or simply keep it covered in hopes that some of it heals back properly? It's only attached by about 1/4 inch of skin, but it's a pretty thick piece.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Uh, Chris?

Read Coach Sommer's reply to an earlier post of yours, here:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/19700.html

You really aren't going to get better advice than that.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
For training while it is healing:

Cut a piece of 18" athletic tape. Poke a hole in the middle and put the finger that's above the tear through the hole. Lay the tape down past the wrist. Wrap a 12" piece of tape around the wrist to secure the tape.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
If it's a fresh tear, in addition to what Lincoln posted, I'd wrap tape around the palm of my hand as well, covering the tape over the torn callous. Oh, and cut that dangling piece of skin off, it's not like it's gonna reattach itself. LOL
Old 02-23-2006, 02:05 AM   #5
Petr Ruzicka

Profile:
Coach Sommer's advice is to bath hand in salt water. I have to say that it is "very interesting experience" indeed but it heals much much faster.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

I agree, but I honestly didn't find it as painful as I expected. (Painful enough that I now pay more attention to *avoiding* rips, however. Maybe I didn't use enough salt?)

Two observations: the salt bath really does help speed the healing / toughening of the skin, and, if you can do Angie or Murph without quitting, you can do this.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
John Velandra

Profile:
Chris,
Tincture is GREAT! PAINFUL... but great.:happy:
Old 02-24-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
Chris Cypert

Profile:  
Thanks guys! David, the guidance I was looking for was more along the lines of what Lincoln offered as opposed to how to treat it. I should have been more specific. The saline is working wonders, however.

On another note, I did leave the flap on and most of it is healing itself. The callous didn't separate from skin. The skin under the callous seperated from muscle. I could see almost a dime sized portion of meat under where the callous was ripped (and so could the prissy commercial gym trainer whom I asked for a first aid kit...she almost met Pukie:lol:) It's healing up quite nicely so far, and I should be able to keep most of the callous as long as my tape up jobs are good and I don't overdo it on pull ups/cleans. I got some tincture and am going to give that a shot (may do my feet some good as well).

Thanks for all the info everyone!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #9
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
It was suggested to me to shave the callouses down. Seemed kind of strange to put a gillette to the palm of my hands...(insert joke) but it keeps the callous from growing to the point where it can get ripped off. Just what was recommended to me.

Not that this helps you now but perhaps it'll keep you from ripping any more.