CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-24-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
Neal Thompson

Profile:
No problem, I hope it helps.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:02 AM   #12
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Chris,

to me, it sounds like you are having a muscular issue (trigger point), rather than a ligament or disc issue, based on the facts that the issue gets better when you are warmed up and working out, and that you can bear full weight. Both are not likely given structural damage.

Have you tried any massage to see if it gets better? Prime candidates for massage would be the back muscles, and glutes, especially the gluteus medius, and maybe the iliopsoas or even your abdominals (although it rather sounds like the lower back muscles or glutes in your case). For some directions on where to massage, see http://www.coventrypainclinic.org.uk...buttockleg.htm and http://altmed.iatp.org.ua/pain/maps/lumbar_pain.htm - follow the links for the muscles enumerated for pics of where to massage. You can massage your own back or glutes conveniently by using a ball against a wall or the floor.

Of course, to rule out structural damage, it would be wise to go to a physician and get a real diagnosis.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #13
Michael Keller

Profile:
Neal, that's very interesting. I think it's really odd how things vary so much from person to person. I'm forcing myself to do OHS with very light weights for a while to see what happens. Air squats/tabata squats don't bother my back at all, but OHS and front/back squats do. Lately, I've been holding a 45 plate and doing deep squats, and that doesn't hurt at all. I wish I could find a way to use more weight. I may have to try the weighted vest route and see if that works.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:03 PM   #14
Tim Boyd

Profile:
hey all, still having a little nagging back pain but the more I exercise and train, the less I feel it. I'm pretty new to the crossfit regimine but I can't see myself doing anything else. Who can tell me when the nausea stops during the work outs. I saw Satan today and it bore the face of Pukie the clown.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:57 PM   #15
Neal Thompson

Profile:
Michael-

I would definitely get a weight vest and build back up slowly.

Tim-
During my first WOD I met Pukie and now I look forward to his visits. You just have to learn to be his friend.:biggrin:

Neal
Old 09-02-2005, 08:33 AM   #16
Jason Davidson

Profile:  
I know I'm a little late, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. The big picture from my standpoint is pelvic and spinal alignment. With all of the ballistic hip movements that crossfitters do (which are excellent)it is almost guaranteed that a pelvic misalignment or subluxation exists. Most common in our guys is to have the sacrum ( at the base of the spine) rotated anteriorly and inferiorly to one side or the other. Also common is to have a posteriorly rotated ilium. These are easily correctable with chiropractic care. Both of these misalignments will cause a good amount of discomfort in the muscles and joints (especially sacro-iliac, and spinal erectors) Go get adjusted!