CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
Hi guys!

I cracked out the digital camera and put together a little show of my now more or less complete CF setup. I have a basement area and a tree in back of our apartment and I've hammered together a bunch of stuff that doesn't win any points for elegance but *does* get the job done.

Here's a link to the photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikesusangray/HomeGym

Descriptions:

Shots 1-6: rings and suspended pullup bar.

Bar: The suspended bar is very difficult to use! There's a swing set in front of our house that I usually use for pullups but since workmen are currently redoing our facade, living rooms and balconies, there are situations (like today) where I can't get to. I did Cindy on the "hang bar" today - but it was definitely more difficult. The bar tended to rotate, it fell out three times at the end of the series (hit me on the head once) and the whole thing swung around like a Tarzan movie. Completely wasted my underarms ... (Then again: I play wide receiver and corner back - maybe strengthening my hands will be good for my catching skills ... )

Rings: I could not find ANYWHERE in all of Zürich to buy rings. I also tried baking PVC, but whatever stuff they sell at my hardware store here is NOT the same. The stench nearly killed my entire family and neighborhood, but the stuff would not bend at all. So, I did the best I could. I found two different thicknesses of hose material and strung them up. Since I've never used real rings, I don't know how much I'm missing.

Shots 7-8: Plyo boxes.

I didn't want to bother with cutting them to slope. Stapled astroturf to the top. Not much to say - but I'm happy with them. The big one comes out at ca. 27.5 inches, the little around 20. The little one was meant for my son, but it also makes a decent platform for the rings and bar. (Although: I think I'll try putting it beside the bar rather than in front of it next time.)

Shots 9-11: Portable OLY platform

My newest piece, a portable OLY platform. That is, three big construction boards drilled so I can run a rope through and carry them around. Deadly heavy. Carrying the things around could be part of a WOD ... I tried them out today for the first time, doing push presses with a 50K barbell and letting it crash a few times. It put some pretty good dents in the wood and did even more damage to the back (no picture), so I'm not sure how well this will work out. I'm wondering whether I could try adding some kind of rubber stuff to soften the blows.

Shot 12: My basement area.

Actually, It's my workshop/workout room/and place-to-work-on-my-dissertation-when-I-need-some-piece-of-mind-and-it's-hot-out side. It's also my wife's arts and crafts area. Very multi-functional. Unfortunately, the ceiling is so low that I can't do lifts that go above my head. There is some hot water piping at the back end that's OK for non-kipping pullups.

Shot 13: Sand ball. 20#. My son Evan let me use his old soccer ball.

Shots 14-15: Situp and back extension bench.

It works very well for that. The rope anchors my feet and the roll of astroturf lets me lean over the hole for the leg-lift thing. Otherwise, probably the dumbest sports related purchase I've ever made. Bought it about a year ago, before I got interested in CF. Bother.

Shots 16-21: Squat rack

This I just put together last week, and I'm really proud of it. Cheap, simple and it works. I'm not recommending anyone put one in a commercial gym, but it works just fine for me. I think I'll make it a little shallower at some point (i.e., shorten the path between the shelf and the edge of the rack. That would make it a little more stable. But it's OK as is.)

Shot 22: Motivation

I'm doing CrossFit because I want to play football - (1) training my son (8 yrs, biggest kid in his class and passionate about football since he was 3) and (2) winning some games with my flag team and (3) hopefully making the roster with a local tackle team next year. (3) may be a stretch for a 35 year-old-rookie, but hey ... you gotta dream!

Shot 23: Reality check

I've got a disseration to write. (About Harry Potter and Religious Identity, too - it's not even boring!) And a day job as a youth worker. And a wife and a daughter, besides my son and fellow football obsessor. And a lot of other stuff. CF is supposed to be part of that.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought various items might be of interest.

Peace,

Mike
Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Nice set up Mike. How's that slamball holding up. I just made a 20 lber w/ a basketball and it seems to be ok so far. One of my friends just moved to Zurich a few weeks ago. I'll be visiting next Summer. I'll have to look you up.

www.NewJerseyCrossFit.com
Old 04-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
Great job! You may want to spend an entire roll of duct tape on that ball. You should figure out how to buy rings from ringtraining.com or Gill/Jon. Have any friends or family in the US?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Mike Gray

Profile:
Hi guys!

So far, I've only used the ball for throwing upwards in various WODs and practicing cleans, so I'm not sure how well it would like being slammed. For those puposes it's grand.

Hey Michael - when are you going to be around? I'd love to meet up.

About rings: my mom and stepdad live in the US, and they come for a visit every year, so I'll probably work something out with them. OTOH, I wouldn't mind paying postage - particularly if I can find *just* rings. ringtraining.com only seems to sell theirs with straps - and I doubt the straps would be long enough for my tree!

Mike
Old 05-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
James Bailey

Profile:
Hi,

I recently moved to Basel and I'm looking for someone to train with here, do you happen to know anyone in the area. Perhaps we could meet for some training some time.

James
Old 10-03-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
James Bailey

Profile:
Re: Introducing ... Crossfit Zürich (sort of ... )

Hi,

I have a question for you related to my recent thread. Where did you buy your equipment, here or in the States? If here, where did you get your oly bar and bumpers?

James
Old 10-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #7
Daniel Schenck

Profile:

Hi, James. I live in Zurich and have gotten most of my stuff from these guys in Germany. It costs 70 Euro for shipping, but that is a flat rate, and in the end buying from them is much less expensive then buying in CH, if you can even find what you want here. I've recently bought bumpers, bars, a power rack, roman chair, bench, etc from them, and the service has always been good and easy. They handle all the importing and of course give you credit for the German VAT.

Check them out and good luck outfitting your gym...

http://powertecfitness.de/ w/f/s

Last edited by Daniel Schenck : 10-05-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
James Bailey

Profile:

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I did check that site out a while ago but misread the part about delivery to Switzerland. I still have trouble with German.

Where do you put your stuff? Garage?

Would you be interested in meeting up sometime for workouts? I have found that the few times I have trained with someone else it was very beneficial. I could swing by Zurich some time over a weekend.

James
Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
Daniel Schenck

Profile:

I have a small gym in my basement...ceiling is a bit too low, but it works ok...

sure, drop me an email when you'll be in town and we can get together for a wod...
Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
Gregory Topf

Profile:

Hi guys - I am new to Crossfit and just moved to Zurich from DC. I have been looking around at gyms here and am having a tough time finding a squat rack or even an olympic bar at most places so far. I unfortunately am not in a position to build a home gym...any suggestions on places where I could find at least the basics around here, where Olympic lifts can be performed without scaring the clientele at the spa? Any suggestions would be most welcome - thanks!