CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #31
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Just got some Power Max rings about a week ago, and really like them.
The textured surface is a great idea.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #32
Patrick Datoc

Profile:
I have had the Elite rings for about half a year and completed my first muscle-ups earlier this month. I received the Power Max rings last week.

For me, muscle-ups are easier on the Elite rings, possibly because the straps loop through the tops of the rings which provides some stabilization of the rings as I try to move my head and torso forward through the transition.
In contrast, the Power Max ring straps loop around the tops of the rings and seem to allow some rotation of the rings through the transition. With this subtle movement/slippage between the Power Max ring and strap, I find it harder to maintain the lever advantage of the false grip in comparison to the Elite Rings.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #33
David Sailor

Profile:
Just got the Powermax rings today. I have a set of the steel power rings to compare them too. Without using them yet, still at work, I can say the construction is top notch. I like the ring material better and the webbing is significantly stouter. The setup wasn't difficult and doesn't look to take any more time than the power rings. Definately pleased so far. David
Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #34
Chris Robinson

Profile:
Re: Gill Athletics Rings Vs. Power Rings

Reviving an old thread here . . .

I'm looking into getting a pair of rings and wanted to get feedback from those that have been using the different brands for quite some time. I'm trying to decide between the Elite Rings and the Gill/Powermax rings. For the indefinite future I will be transporting these rings any time I use them. I do not have a place in my apartment to hang them, so whenever I use them it will be at another location (gym, tree, etc.). With that in mind my first inclination was to buy the Elite rings. Everyone says they are much faster to set up and take down and the straps are long enough to reach the ground from most objects. On the other hand, the consensus seems to favor the rough feel of the Powermax. Also, and this is based entirely on pictures, the Powermax rings look slightly more professional/durable.

I know I can't go wrong with either one, but I thought I'd ask and get everyone's thoughts now that they've been using their rings for almost a year.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 AM   #35
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robinson View Post
Reviving an old thread here . . .

I'm looking into getting a pair of rings and wanted to get feedback from those that have been using the different brands for quite some time. I'm trying to decide between the Elite Rings and the Gill/Powermax rings. For the indefinite future I will be transporting these rings any time I use them. I do not have a place in my apartment to hang them, so whenever I use them it will be at another location (gym, tree, etc.). With that in mind my first inclination was to buy the Elite rings. Everyone says they are much faster to set up and take down and the straps are long enough to reach the ground from most objects. On the other hand, the consensus seems to favor the rough feel of the Powermax. Also, and this is based entirely on pictures, the Powermax rings look slightly more professional/durable.

I know I can't go wrong with either one, but I thought I'd ask and get everyone's thoughts now that they've been using their rings for almost a year.
We use both in our gym. I like the texture and the width of the straps in the Power Max rings, but it is much quicker to change heights with the Elite rings. Both have been very durable and the prices are similar. I comes down to what fits your needs. Do you need to be able to change heights quickly and often, or will you be able to get by with the same height during a workout and get a little better grip and better feel in the straps.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #36
Bryan Duffy

Profile:

With the Elite Rings, am I correct in saying that they have 16 foot straps? If so, will I have access to all 16 feet or will I have to double them over in order to hang them, meaning I really only have access to 8 feet? My ceilings are 15 feet high, and I'd like to be able to get them close enough to the ground for push-ups, etc.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #37
William Henniger

Profile:

You will have to double them over so you will use half the length plus whatever the diameter of truss/beam/bar you are hanging them from.

You can order longer straps, go to http://www.strapworks.com wfs

Bill
Rogue Fitness - CrossFit Columbus
http://www.roguefitness.com
Old 10-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #38
Chris Robinson

Profile:

How long are the straps on the PowerMax rings? Are they long enough to do push-ups from most locations? And, when you say that they take longer to adjust, are we talking 5 minutes? 10? or is it something you get proficient at once you've done it a few times?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #39
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

The straps for the Power Max rings are about 9 or 10 feet long. You only need 6 or 8 inches or to go through the buckles at each end so the length that you can reach is pretty much the same as the Elite rings.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #40
Tyler Hass

Profile:

Chris,
I just wanted to help clarify a few things about the design of the Elite Rings. The straps are 16 feet long, which is enough to give the average person the full range of movements. If you have a higher ceiling, I would recommend hanging a few pieces of climbing rope as extensions, from which you would hang the Elite Rings straps.
One thing that might be beneficial for you is that you can set them up overhead, without being able to reach the mounting point. You can just toss the straps over, run them through the buckle and adjust the height. The setup time is usually about 1-2 minutes.
With regards to the texture, I chose a fine microtexture that is optimized for bare hands. Traditional rings have a large texture grain that is designed to work with the leather hand grips gymnasts wear. With either texture style, having chalk available is optimal. If chalk is not a possibility, I think tennis racket overgrips are the next best thing. Wrapping them in athletic tape can also produce more texture, but can chew up your hands a bit more, although less than competition-style rings. Properly chalked Elite Rings have a great feel without tearing up your skin too much.
I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Tyler
from ringtraining.com