CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Ryan Sears

Profile:
I was wondering if anyone has experience using sleds in their workouts. Or if someone had anying ideas on how to make one. this would be a big help
Old 10-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
I'm wondering the same thing. Some pics that show how to construct a sled would be awesome.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:37 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Equipment.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I've seen idea like:

- getting a kids snow sled and piling in weights
- using a tire and having a way to secure an upright pole to stack weights on (welded?)
- pulling logs

all with ropes, chains and the works.

Pulling sleds is awesome work for the posterior chain, glutes, hams, explosive power, etc. Plus go find an incline to pull up....wooohooo.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Dan John has a picture of the Bula Sled somewhere (maybe on the Grivel NA or Gym Jones site). It appears to be a welding project For Dummies (tm), so much so that I have a picture of it taped to my toolbox to remind me to buy the right angle iron for it. The alternative obviously is to buy some 3/16" or 1/4" diamond plate, bend and drill it, then reinforce it with some "rails" and weld on a piece of 1.5" i.d. black pipe.

A pallet works fine, too, though it won't last...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
Tom Taylor

Profile:
I started out towing my kids on the grass with their snow sleds. Because daddy can never run fast enough and I wanted to be able to add weight without waiting for my children to grow or having more I switched to a tire. The tire was free and the eye bolt and washers were about two dollars. So far the easiest way to add weight has been to put a piece of plywood in the bottom and put in dumbbells or kettlebells. All ideas I got from this board. I hook a rope to a weight belt(the only use for it) for dragging. I am trying to make a shoulder harness out of an old backpack as I think it will be more comfortable. The tire allows for a versatile workout:
Tire drag forward and backward
Tire flip
Sledge hammer hits
Agility drills
and more
I'm going outside!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Get an old tire, put a 2x6 inside to act as a shelf, put sandbags/rocks/weight on the 2x6, put an eye bolt in the tread of the tire, tie a rope to the eye bolt, tie the other end to you ... PULL. :biggrin:
Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
Bill Russell

Profile:
Frank at Gulf Coast CrossFit has a great sled that his welder brother made for him.

Maybe Frank will give you some tips on how to make one for yourself. I think he has a pic on his website, you'll find his link on the CF homepage in the affiliates section.

BR
Old 10-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
On the tire sled. . .

You can also get a threaded pipe flange fitting, use screws to attach it to the center of the wood inside the tire. Then get a 18 or 24" piece of threaded pipe to screw into the flange when you want to stack plates on it (and you can take it off when you want a flat surface).

Eugene mentioned a cheap harness from the Cabellas (sp?) Hunting catalog. It is the kind used for dragging game (search the archives).

I had a couple questions about tire sleds. . .

If you just bolt the eyebolt to the tire won't it pull out (even with a washer)?

Does the tire leave marks on cement (like a driveway or sidewalk -not asphalt-)?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Tom Taylor

Profile:
Jeremy,
For the tire I used a larger eyebolt 1/2 I think and two washers inside and two outside. Also I drilled through the tread on the tire not in between. So far no problems it seems really sturdy.

I have been using mostly on the grass but I think you would have to have a pretty fast 0-60mph to leave a mark. I'll give it my all in the morning with some weight in the tire and see if I can burn some rubber.

Thanks for the reminder on the Cabellas catalog I do remember seeing that here a while back.