CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Samantha Lewis

Profile:
Hi everyone! Very new to crossfit and I noticed all the pullups etc in the WOD's and I was wondering if any of you would have advice for someone with very little upper body strength. I tore ligaments in both my wrists 6 years ago but didn't rest them or let them heal for a few years so now I have lot of problems with all upper body work. I don't think I could even do 1 pullup at the moment so is there any exercise I could do to strengthen my upper body & wrists to better prepare them for the pullups?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Robby Beauchamp

Profile:
First thing is to get your wrists checked to make sure you don't have any structural problems that need to be corrected before you begin training. After that key is taking resistance off of the motions until you can build stregth. This can be accomplished a bunch of ways.

For push-ups, you can do them against a wall or other elevated object, gradually lowering the height of the object until you are on the floor.

With pull-ups, you can use a gravitron machine that takes resistance off by using counter weights. You can do jumping pull-ups where you use your legs to help you get up to the bar and lower yourself under control. You can then jump up to the flexed position and hang for time.

Also, a jump-stretch band looped over the bar works great. Loop it over the center of the bar and step into the loop of the band. It will stretch as you decend and assist you with the pull-up. Gradually use lighter and ligher bands as you get stronger.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:34 AM   #3
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
Hey Samantha,

After you have had your wrists checked out as RObby quite rightly pointed out, I have found that working on just hanging in the fully exteneded position helps those who cant manage 1 pull up, once you can hang for about 10-15 secs you should be able to start working on negative only pull ups.
You should also try and strengthen all the muscles of your wrist and forearms for future protection of ligaments.
Good luck

Ham
Old 02-21-2006, 04:28 AM   #4
Petr Ruzicka

Profile:
Jumping pullups are also good. They do not work arms directly as you, well, jump to position, but arms still working and preparing to future workload.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #5
Tony Young

Profile:
Sam,
Ring body rows are a good sub for pullups as well. If you don't have rings you can sub a length of rope looped over the bar with a short piece of PVC handle. Make them any length you want, the longer they are the more weight you'll pull.http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/20199.jpg
Old 02-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Samantha Lewis

Profile:
Wow, you guys have given me a lot to work with here!! Thanks so much for your help, will get on to the checking of the wrists and then I will attempt all the above. No more excuses for not doing it!:happy:
Old 02-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
Chris Cypert

Profile:  
Samantha,

Check out the FAQ page. It answers your questions. Check out 3.7. Here's a link:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Lanny Paykin

Profile:
What does "for time" in the WOD mean?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #9
Jeff Martin

Profile:
It means get it done as fast as possible.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Sammie D.
I will be back in the gym monday and I have all types of cool pull up progressions for you....inset evil laugh.
I see Ring rows, assisted pull ups bands and jumping pull ups in your future as a well as deep end pull ups in the pool.

Fi