CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Paul Ibsen

Profile:
Crossfit and bouldering?

So I was just wondering if there was anyone out there in the crossfit community that has any information or experience with crossfit based workouts for rock climbing and bouldering. I have been doing crossfit on and off for a couple of years now, and I have been climbing for about 8ish years and boulder around the V8 to V10 range. I really enjoy doing crossfit, but it really seems to hinder my climbing abilities. So if anyone has experience combining the two effectively to help train for bouldering any information would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and bouldering?

Check out http://www.climb-fit.com WFS

climbing focused Crossfit-type workouts.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

How does CrossFit inhibit your climbing?
Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Paul Ibsen

Profile:

I'm not entirely sure why, but during and after a period (usually a few months) of doing crossfit my climbing grades start going down, and then I have to start working them back up to where they were before I started.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Look at Mountain Athlete.com for climbing specific workouts.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Paul Ibsen

Profile:

Yeah I've checked out the mountain athlete site, but it's kinda expensive to subscribe. So I don't really know what there workouts look like. Have you had any experience with their programming?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Of course it all depends on what you mean by "doing Crossfit." But if you look at any group of really good boulderers, they will tend to be slender people with good finger strength and strong cores. They don't need to move a lot of weight, they don't need the kind of leg strength that many/most Crossfitters work toward, and even longer bouldering problems are not going to raise one's heart rate very high. They probably can't deadlift or squat much, and they would likely not do well in any metcon lasting more than 2-3 minutes. And they don't need those capabilities for their sport.

A typical CF regimen (yeah, I know, that could be anything these days!) is going to be largely not helpful for, and in some ways counterproductive to, one who wants to focus on bouldering, especially if it takes away time that could be spent climbing. I know a lot of boulderers who could use some GPP for other aspects of their lives, but it wouldn't help their bouldering. And that's pretty much all these guys care about!

And keep in mind that bouldering is a very narrow niche in the world of climbing. Any sites that focus on training for "climbing" are probably oriented more toward other areas.