CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Michael Dowling

Profile:
Re: Rate my program?

Why is it bad to do 5 X 5 dead lifts? I'm doing a strength program that has a lot of 5 x 3 and 5 x 1 for dead lifts and it just feels like not enough work. I've been thinking of increasing the sets too.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Troy Becker

Profile:

Over training. Deadlifts are extremely taxing. Novices might be able to get away with 5x5 deads for a while, but I still wouldn't personally recommend it.

Besides, remember what Louis says (what someone really good at the deadlift told him, actually)- everything makes your deadlift go up.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
Why is it bad to do 5 X 5 dead lifts? I'm doing a strength program that has a lot of 5 x 3 and 5 x 1 for dead lifts and it just feels like not enough work. I've been thinking of increasing the sets too.
Wait until the weights get heavy.

As someone in another thread once put it, "if you think your next set of five might kill you, you probably won't be worried about whether it's enough work."

Same with squats, once they get heavy.

Katherine
Old 03-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

When I was doing the 70s Big program I dreaded each 5RM like I dread doing Fran, and a heavy set of 5 deadlifts often left me unable to walk or think clearly for the next few minutes. Doing 4 more sets would not have been helpful or even possible really unless I decreased the weight significantly, at which point they're not heavy enough to produce a useful stress/adaptation. And doing a single 5RM deadlift set on Friday required a weekend of doing nothing physical if I wanted to recover in time to squat the next Monday. 5x5 with anything close to your 5RM weight would smoke you to the point of being useless.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Ok I just started this program so the weights aren't that heavy and I feel like I'm not doing much when I'm done.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #16
Damon Stewart

Profile:

There's nothing wrong with your program if you're a novice from a weightlifting standpoint...meaning you're able to put more weight on the bar every single session. I'd agree on DL'ing 2x/week but if you're not pulling more than 300# you're probably fine.

I would trend more towards heavy singles, doubles, and triples but it's hard to way without seeing your numbers if that would be a good approach for you. The bottom line is if you're making progress then this is a decent program. Personally I've seen much more progress from a Westside approach than SS but have no problems with 5x5's for novices.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #17
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
When I was doing the 70s Big program I dreaded each 5RM like I dread doing Fran, and a heavy set of 5 deadlifts often left me unable to walk or think clearly for the next few minutes. Doing 4 more sets would not have been helpful or even possible really unless I decreased the weight significantly, at which point they're not heavy enough to produce a useful stress/adaptation. And doing a single 5RM deadlift set on Friday required a weekend of doing nothing physical if I wanted to recover in time to squat the next Monday. 5x5 with anything close to your 5RM weight would smoke you to the point of being useless.
No doubt. Heavy deads are no joke. Key emphasis on heavy. I'm doing 5/3/1 with some conditioning, so my recent venture of 440# deadlift at max reps (7 for me) was just nasty. I can't imagine doing 5 sets of 5 at that weight. The one set left me seeing stars and reaching for the wall to balance myself.

OP: Heed the advice you're being given here. Or not. If not, come back and let us know how it worked for you. You may have discovered the next outstanding training regimen.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #18
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
Ok I just started this program so the weights aren't that heavy and I feel like I'm not doing much when I'm done.
As long as you are adding weight to the bar every time, then it's working.