CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Le Chong

Profile:
Fight Gone Bad/MMA/Need advice

Been doin FGB for a couple of months and have been substituting some stuff.Im training for an mma fight and have introduced my mma partners to this crossfit routine.Here are the routines Im unable to do correctly

1st of all,no Concept machine.Been doin 70# rows>

2nd of all,no 25# ball.Been usin 12 # ball hitting 15' target.

My scores have been decent,and improving,but would like to match exrcises as close as possible.Also,can you guys suggest other routines for mma conditioning?Please,give me some advice on this>Much mahalo in advance
Old 01-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
James White

Profile:
Re: Fight Gone Bad/MMA/Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chong View Post
Been doin FGB for a couple of months and have been substituting some stuff.Im training for an mma fight and have introduced my mma partners to this crossfit routine.Here are the routines Im unable to do correctly

My scores have been decent,and improving,but would like to match exrcises as close as possible.Also,can you guys suggest other routines for mma conditioning?Please,give me some advice on this>Much mahalo in advance
Read the faqs. They provide subs for those exercises and you'll learn that you're missing the point of CrossFit by doing the same WOD repeatedly. Go read them and YOU tell US what the recommended subs are... Not being an a$$hole. Just teaching you how to fish...
Old 01-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chong View Post

Head to the "Crosspit" section of the forums for more detailed info on training for MMA. Also, rosstraining.com's forums have good advice.

What rules are you fighting for MMA? How often are you doing FGB? How long are the rounds, and how many are there?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Le Chong

Profile:

Yeah,James,I looked there before I started this thread.I just now looked again.My eyes are sore from reading so much.Still cant find it.Thanks for being such a help,bro!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Le Chong

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Head to the "Crosspit" section of the forums for more detailed info on training for MMA. Also, rosstraining.com's forums have good advice.

What rules are you fighting for MMA? How often are you doing FGB? How long are the rounds, and how many are there?
Rules?No pulling head down to the knee in the clinch.No elbowing.Basic ammy rules.We're doing FGB every friday night.We also do other strength circuit during the week.

Ill check that "crosspit" here pretty soon.Thank you,bro>
Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Richard Pacifico

Profile:

one thing i would say is use unilateral to your advantages. As any combat sport we dont do stuff using both hands and feet at the same time. Do some 1H snatches, Cleans, Also explosive leg movement. Jump squats resisted shoots. just mix it all into a MMA round. i do this for conditioning purposes

5x5 minute rounds

1st minute resisted punching
2nd minute Clinch work(start with opponents double unders in or MT clinch and workout of it.
3rd minute shark tank(try to take down a fresh opponent and try not to get taken down, full sprawl or complete takedown means new opponent in)
4th minute get full mounted and work back to guard(this kills)
5th minute ground and pound ( remember strike to pass, pass to strike).
Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
James White

Profile:

3.4. Substitute for wall-ball throws?
The "standard" substitute for Wall Ball is either dumbbell or barbell thrusters. Since you can't (or shouldn't, anyway) actually throw the dumbells in the air, use about twice the specified ball weight (40 lbs or so instead of 20) and do them as explosively as possible . . . but it's still quite different.
Better to follow David Heyer's directions for a homemade medicine ball:

take an old, or cheap, basketball
cut a slit in it
stuff with sand
sew or glue the slit closed (optional), and then tape up with heavy tape (Americans call it duct tape)
This gives you a perfectly functional 18-22 pound ball (9 or 10 kg) for under $4.

3.6. What if I don't have a rowing machine?
Do Sumo Deadlift High Pulls (see exercise page for demo):
If you don't have a rower substitute sumo-dealift high pulls (sdhp) with 45 pounds for men and 30 pounds for women. Take the bar from mid shin to under your chin--"shin to chin."
2K row = 200 sdhp's, 1K row = 100 sdhp's, 500 meter row = 50 sdhp's
Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Le Chong

Profile:

Cool.Great advice,only thing sumo deadlift shin to chinners are already part of the regimen.