CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Florence Fullerton

Profile:
Just starting

Hi folks,

I wasn't going to post but I figured it might be worth it so that I hold myself accountable for my goals.

I'm 30, under 5 ft, 103 lbs (BF 16% last time I checked a year ago)... and have 3 precious little girls age 4 and twins 2.5. I was getting bored of working out at the gym and needed something different. Just started crossfit 2 weeks ago, going through the basics for now. I really love it... I'm SOO hooked!!!

My goal is to gain muscle, particularly upper body as that is my weakest point and always has been. I had not been able to do pullups since I was... well, 19! I think then my max was 4 anyway, but just today I did 2 deadhangs! I was so pleased!! I had been doing negatives regularly for the last 3 weeks.... although, I'm stil waiting to be able to do chin-ups. For some reason, pull-ups are easier for me to do than chin-ups although it seems for most people it's the other way around!

Deadlift - 85 lbs, although it felt fairly easy so maybe need to up weight a bit but might try that in a couple weeks once I get a bit more comfortable. Aiming to hit bodyweight by 3 months time.

Clean - 45 lbs (just the weight of the bar), I know when I've done it perfect because it feels almost too easy... but that's not happening all the time so am waiting until I get it close to 100% before adding more weight. Aiming to hit 60 lbs in 3 months.

Push-ups: 40 max
Pull-ups: 0... to 2 max in 2 weeks! YESS!! Aiming to be able to do 15-20 by this time next year

overall: hoping to increase strength in swimming, and running speed

I know there was more I wanted to post but forgot. I still have more technique I'll be learning in the coming weeks.

It's weird, it's only been two weeks but I'm surprised that I can do any of those things!! I'm hoping I can reach some of my goals in the next 3 months but not sure if they are realisitic. My husband (bless him) thinks I'll meet them knowing how determined I can be (a.k.a stubborn!).

I love Crossfit. It's exactly what I needed! I can't believe I almost didn't try it because I was intimidated by olympic lifting! Now I look forward to the day I can clean & jerk close to my bodyweight.

Flo
Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
James White

Profile:
Re: Just starting

A woman that wants to get stronger? I like it. We need more people like you. Kudos for setting specific, measurable goals. Based on your post you could provide advice to many of those seeking it in the "starting" forum.

Anyway, glad to have you. Keep posting, and start a log if you haven't already!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Adding 15lbs to your clean and 18lbs to your deadlift in three months is selling yourself short. Make sure your technique is solid, then hit some heavy lifting on a regular basis. On a good program you could easily add 50lbs to your clean and 100lbs to your deadlift over that period.

The good news is you're in the small minority of women who can do deadhang pullups without having trained much--that means you've got some basic strength and athletic ability to work with.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Martha Lamb

Profile:

I agree with Eric. You should make those goals plus some in short time. Be sure you're eating enough protein and getting enough sleep. Welcome!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
A woman that wants to get stronger? I like it. We need more people like you. Kudos for setting specific, measurable goals. Based on your post you could provide advice to many of those seeking it in the "starting" forum.

Anyway, glad to have you. Keep posting, and start a log if you haven't already!

Amen! Keep it up!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
Teresa McDermott

Profile:

Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a great start. There's lots of great advice on this forum. I'm sure you'll get that bodyweight deadlift in no time.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Florence Fullerton

Profile:

Thanks for the encouragement!

I guess I might be selling myself short in terms of the amount of weight I'm hoping to be able to pull in 3 months but I figured while going through the basics it will take me some time to work out a reasonable schedule of strength training so that takes away 2 months! I have a schedule right now but will be tweaking it along the way. I only crossfit 2x a week with the gym, and I'm starting to do 2 times a week on top of that at home based on the WODS (I have to modify based on what I have).

Strength hasn't been my forte really so I figured my muscles really have to learn it!

As for food, I never heard of Paleo until I read more into Crossfit but I don't follow a Paleo diet. I generally eat quite healthy and according to need, and my diet is probably 80-85% following the guidelines already... just what I normally eat anyway so I don't see a need to change. Protein is definitely what i'm monitoring though but so far I think I am okay. I guess if I find myself losing weight then maybe I should add more protein. Does that make sense? Or am I missing a point?

Also, as for kipping pullups... I don't have a pullup bar at home. I'm using this rock climbing trainer where you can put your fingertips in to do pullups and wrap your palms only to do chinups... that's all I got. I think it's supposed to be harder but I managed to train with that anyway. I'd like to do kipping pullups, but how do people have it set up in their homes to do that? you can't use a regular pullup bar, that woudl be scary..... How high does it have to be? I'm under 5ft so... would 7ft high be enough?

Thanks!
Flo
Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I'm 5'6" and my pullup bar is just around 7' tall. I can just about kip with it, sometimes I need to bend my legs just a little, so 7' should be great for you.

There are a lot of ways to get Pullup Bars in the home. There are a lot of "door gyms" around, but those can be tought to fully kip on.

My pullup bar is a bar that is in my powerrack.

A lot of people install pullup bars like ones sold at Rogue Fitness or Again Faster--they sell ones that can be fastened to rafters/joists and also sell swinging ones that can be strapped to beams/trees/posts.

Sounds like you have good pulling strenght if you can do a lot of pullups with just your fingertips.

In regards to Paleo, the more I eat Paleo the better I feel and the less I crave the processed foods of the past.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence Fullerton View Post
Thanks for the encouragement!

I guess I might be selling myself short in terms of the amount of weight I'm hoping to be able to pull in 3 months but I figured while going through the basics it will take me some time to work out a reasonable schedule of strength training so that takes away 2 months! I have a schedule right now but will be tweaking it along the way. I only crossfit 2x a week with the gym, and I'm starting to do 2 times a week on top of that at home based on the WODS (I have to modify based on what I have).

Strength hasn't been my forte really so I figured my muscles really have to learn it!

As for food, I never heard of Paleo until I read more into Crossfit but I don't follow a Paleo diet. I generally eat quite healthy and according to need, and my diet is probably 80-85% following the guidelines already... just what I normally eat anyway so I don't see a need to change. Protein is definitely what i'm monitoring though but so far I think I am okay. I guess if I find myself losing weight then maybe I should add more protein. Does that make sense? Or am I missing a point?

Also, as for kipping pullups... I don't have a pullup bar at home. I'm using this rock climbing trainer where you can put your fingertips in to do pullups and wrap your palms only to do chinups... that's all I got. I think it's supposed to be harder but I managed to train with that anyway. I'd like to do kipping pullups, but how do people have it set up in their homes to do that? you can't use a regular pullup bar, that woudl be scary..... How high does it have to be? I'm under 5ft so... would 7ft high be enough?

Thanks!
Flo
If it takes you two months to learn the basics, you need to find a coach to help you through it. At a minimum, buy and read "Starting Strength," and get the DVD too. I don't think the SS program is what you want based on your goals, but the book/DVD will teach you how to do the lifts properly in a pretty short amount of time. You're not going to get hurt working your way up to bodyweight squat and deadlift unless you're doing things very very wrong.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
Florence Fullerton

Profile:

Eric, in response to your last post... I do have a trainer for the crossfit classes I take twice a week so there is someone to coach me to ensure proper technique.

I did try looking for that SS book everyone is talking about but unfortunately, it doesn't' seem to be sold here in Canada anymore. Hopefully I'll find one on ebay in good condition or something. My husband is more knowledgeable on proper form than I am and when he gets back from deployment I'll be asking him for some help. I am not a stranger to weight training in the gym though... I have the technique... just never knew how to schedule myself but I think I may have a decent plan for now.

Just need to test it out and see if it's flexible enough to manage around family time with the kids.

I am finding that after 3 weeks I am a bit stronger than I was originally...so that's good news to me!

Flo