CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength or Starting Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
I think you are perhaps the most co-operative/willing to take advice poster I've seen.

Some good advice here. Get strong, period.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.
I agree with this. Hopefully you're true to your word. We all like to see progress. It's good to see people that are willing to take advice. You'll notice as you get through Starting Strength anyway that your appetite will naturally grow. But yes, eating is quite important.

Lift.Eat.Sleep.Repeat.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
It already happened, don't worry, Jeremy.

OP, you squat your bodyweight for 5 reps.

Do Starting Strength. And, by that I mean Do. Starting. Strength. Read the book. Also, buy the DVD.

Get rid of this notion that you are also going to do CFE.

In several months, you will be super happy and feel like a man, and then you can go run really fast if you want to.
I thought the new thing was what are your goals? 66% of the OPs goals aren't going to be met with Starting Strength.

OP how about CFFB until you hit your strength and speed goals and THEN some CFE to prep you for your marathon. Just to be contrary.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
I thought the new thing was what are your goals? 66% of the OPs goals aren't going to be met with Starting Strength.

OP how about CFFB until you hit your strength and speed goals and THEN some CFE to prep you for your marathon. Just to be contrary.
Here's how I came to my decision.

He said CF or SS. So, to make things easy, I decided to recommend one of those. Not CFFB. Not Justin's 70's Big program.

He is not strong. On any strength program, he should see gains quickly.

He is already a halfway decent runner, not the slowest person on earth.

He is not overweight. Rather, he is painfully slim.

Therefore, I chose what he is worst at, which is strength. By far.

He can spend some time getting strong and then switch to CF with CFE in plenty of time to train for a marathon in the fall. It's still January.

So, I did take his goals into account. I just didn't walk step-by-step through my reasoning.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post

This. You will meet more of your goals NOT doing SS. Keep some long distance running on the side or you are going to hurt yourself running a marathon.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
James White

Profile:

http://talktomejohnnie.com/diet/what...u-training-for (WFS with some cursing)

Also...this.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Tamara,

Makes sense, similar to why I didn't recommend SS and sprints

I guess, in the spirit of the other thread, I see CFFB as a type of CF. The OP could get stronger and faster. The conditioning he gains/maintains makes his CFE foray much easier.

James,

Thanks for that... I'm taking a real liking to that blog.

The thing is those goals, to me, aren't that out there. The first two could be any military/LEO goal. A fast run test time, and strong enough to actually complete the mission. Finishing a marathon for a cause or a challenge, who knows? Somewhat disparate goals, but not unmanageable.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mannion View Post
I hadn't intended to do GOMAD. Current diet looks like:

B-Fast: 3 x Eggs on toast

Snack: Banana and Protein Shake w/Creatine

Lunch: Fist worth of chicken, fill rest of plate with salad, half a bowl of fruit.

Snack: Apple and Protein Shake w/Glutamine

Dinner: Similar to lunch

Late night snack (if hungry): Either Protein shake or glass of milk with 2/3 x peanut butter on toast.

Would struggle to GOMAD where I am but could perhaps do it when I return home.
Really? I just ate more than that for my post-workout snack.

Well, not quite, but that's just not very much food, especially for someone your size trying to build muscle.

Katherine
Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #18
Chris Mannion

Profile:

Guys, once again, thanks for all of the great feedback.

I came here because I was struggling to actually progress. As a former fatty I was concerned about eating too much and thought I was on the right track, I'm now in the process of doubling my intake.

Robert hit the nail on the head with my goals. I want to move up to the next level in my annual military fitness test (gone from 'pass' to 'good' due to turning 26, I want to get sub 10mins to achieve a 'v.good'). My strength goals are because I am getting frustrated with a lack of progress in that department. The marathon is simply a challenge, though I will be looking at charities to raise money for (one potential is help for heroes (WFS) that I raised money for in one of my half marathons).

Will keep you posted!

Many thanks.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #19
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Guys, once again, thanks for all of the great feedback.

I came here because I was struggling to actually progress. As a former fatty I was concerned about eating too much and thought I was on the right track, I'm now in the process of doubling my intake.

Robert hit the nail on the head with my goals. I want to move up to the next level in my annual military fitness test (gone from 'pass' to 'good' due to turning 26, I want to get sub 10mins to achieve a 'v.good'). My strength goals are because I am getting frustrated with a lack of progress in that department. The marathon is simply a challenge, though I will be looking at charities to raise money for (one potential is help for heroes (WFS) that I raised money for in one of my half marathons).

Will keep you posted!

Many thanks.
As long as you're eating quality food, it's very hard to overeat. If you're training hard, it's not going to be easy to gain weight regardless of how often you eat to discomfort.

If you need to maintain some conditioning while getting stronger, which sounds like the case with your fitness test, CFFB would be a good program. If you just care about getting stronger faster, SS would work. Either way, pick a program and commit to it fully and you'll see results.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #20
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
I hadn't intended to do GOMAD. Current diet looks like:

B-Fast: 3 x Eggs on toast

Snack: Banana and Protein Shake w/Creatine

Lunch: Fist worth of chicken, fill rest of plate with salad, half a bowl of fruit.

Snack: Apple and Protein Shake w/Glutamine

Dinner: Similar to lunch

Late night snack (if hungry): Either Protein shake or glass of milk with 2/3 x peanut butter on toast.

Would struggle to GOMAD where I am but could perhaps do it when I return home.
you don't have to use GOMAD but you do need to eat more than that.

Instead of so many shakes, thing more along the lines of meat and veggies/olive oil. x5 times a day. If you're in a bad situation food wise do the best you can, focus on lots of meat, veggies and fruit to get the calories in.

Also, move the creatine and glutamine immediately post workout or just before bed on rest days.