CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Michael Pilhofer

Profile:
Re: Which Weightlifting Shoe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
+1 for the Nike Romaleos. I've had them for a couple of months and they're fantastic.
+1. One of my Trainers has a pair and LOVES them! I have the Adidas adiStar's from 2 years ago, which I LOVE, but you need some narrow feet for these to fit right. (which I do so they fit me like a glove)
www.CrossFitMSP.com
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
Larry Cook

Profile:

Larry,

You might also consider going to a USAW event (I see there is one in Northfield, MN on Oct. 9 - Twin City Open http://weightlifting.teamusa.org/events/3759 W/F/S).

Risto Sports shows up at a lot of the events on the East Coast. Risto now has the Burgener Shoe with some of the proceeds going to Steve's Club.

I would contact the organizer and see if any shoe reps are expected to be there - maybe then give them a call and see if they can bring a few sizes for you to try.

Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Dijulio View Post
WHich shoe would you recomend? The 2010 Rogue Fitness shoe or the Adidas Ironwork III shoe on Dynamic-Eleiko. THey are the same price.

Ross
I have the Pendlay Do Wins and love them. I haven't worn other lifting shoes to compare them to, though.

As for Chucks, I own 10 pairs. I love Chucks...for WODs. Not when I'm lifting outside of a WOD, though. The Do Wins make a huge difference. I'm no expert, but if someone told me they preferred to snatch or even front squat in Chucks over lifting shoes, I'd assume they don't have a clue.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
Ron Murray

Profile:

rather than type up a huge diatribe I will say only this, I had an extremely long drawn out and negative experience with Risto and I don't know that I will ever be able to recommend the company for a product or service in the future.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #15
Austin Engle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Cmon.

Chucks are not lifting shoes. Can you lift in them? Sure. Are they lifting shoes? No.

- Mark
Yes, it seems I missed the point of the thread. I figured; like most of us, the OP does CrossFit, so while Chucks are not a true lifting shoe, they are a fantastic shoe for CrossFit WOD's, in general terms. If the guy is looking for a show that is specific to lifting, then Yes, Chuck Taylors are not the way to go, because indeed they are not lifting shoes. On the other hand, I think they work very well for them based on my limited experience.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #16
Eric Schell

Profile:

I am also a fan of the Ristos. While sizing can be pretty stressful, I just stuck to the chart and it worked out perfectly for me. But if you get a chance to try them on at an event, take advantage.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I have Ristos. I bought them because they have a high heel. They're custom made so I could pick my colors. They fit my wide foot. They look cool but require a longer wait and are a little pricey.
I bought my wife Pendlays. They are Pretty Nifty Lookin. They have a lower heel and aren't so wide. She has better flexibility than I do and didn't need the high heel. They are reasonably priced.
I bought my mom VS Dynamos. Quite inexpensive, high heel to help with her flexibility, fits her wide foot.
My workout partner has Adidas Ironwork 2. Nice lookin. A little pricey. Lower heel I think but I can't find any specs on it. Not real wide from the looks of them.

All are good shoes. I'd pick based on your need for heel height, foot width, and cost.

I think the wider ones are the Dynamos and Ristos. And I think the higher heel are the Dynamos and Ristos. I can't tell what the heel height is on the adidas. I haven't used do-wins but they look most similar to the Dynamos as far as style.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 09-02-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
Eddie Brown

Profile:

If you have decided a weightlifting specific shoe is what you want, there are a few good ones out there. You obviously don't have to have lifting specific shoes to lift, but they are available. You can play golf without golf spikes, you can play softball without cleats, you can lift without lifting shoes. However sport specific shoes are available, and may offer some advantages should someone choose them. A new option now available is the Nike Romaleos weight lifting shoes. There is some new technology in this shoe that is worth pointing out. Most weightlifting shoes have wood shims in the heel. This is because a soft cushioined shoe is not ideal for weightlifting due to energy lost with compression. Nike has engineered a thermo plastic wedge in the heel instead of wood. There are a few reasons this is good. 1) wood comes from a tree, density varies throughout the tree, therefore your left could feel different than the right (while differences are only slight, there are athletes that can feel it)

2) the wood shims in most weightlifting shoes are flat. Putting a round surface (your heel) on a flat surface is not ideal for your lifting platform. Nike's wedge is molded to cup the heel and provides more stability.

Rogue has these available and they are available from Nike Weightlifting at www.Athleteps.com

I get that many athletes don't use lifting specific shoes. This comment is not intended to be critical of anyone's choice in footwear. This is just some info that many might not have seen yet.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
Julie Schlotthauer

Profile:

Careful about getting shoes from Risto Sports. I purchased a pair and wore them three times. On the third wear, the strap that holds the shoe laces down tore out of the shoe. Risto sports will not refund the shoes as they have been worn and would only repair them. The repair is sloppy - not what I would expect for a handmade shoe over $100. With a faulty product, I'm uncertain that I really wanted them repaired anyway but that was the only option. It's been a painful process.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Schlotthauer View Post
Careful about getting shoes from Risto Sports. I purchased a pair and wore them three times. On the third wear, the strap that holds the shoe laces down tore out of the shoe. Risto sports will not refund the shoes as they have been worn and would only repair them. The repair is sloppy - not what I would expect for a handmade shoe over $100. With a faulty product, I'm uncertain that I really wanted them repaired anyway but that was the only option. It's been a painful process.

hate to rehash my comments since I don't want to look petty or like I'm simply debasing a company based on my isolated experience, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Murray View Post
rather than type up a huge diatribe I will say only this, I had an extremely long drawn out and negative experience with Risto and I don't know that I will ever be able to recommend the company for a product or service in the future.