CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Craig Lewis

Profile:
To much protien??

Is it possible to eat to much protien? Still a bit new to paleo so looking for all the help advice i can get im afraid

Ive been keeping track of my food since ive started paleo, im eating around 250g of protien a day from real food. Would it be a problem if i upped this to 350g?

Still
Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Meredith Launius

Profile:
Re: To much protien??

Yes too much protien is bad for you, too much of anything is bad for you. Base yr daily intake on yr lean body mass and yr activity level. 0.7 grams per lb of LBM for peaople with light activity level and 1.0/1.5 g per lb of LBM for elite athletes. Find yr medium and devide the number over yr meals.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
Craig Lewis

Profile:

How much is too much though?
I weigh roughly 155lb, should i be looking at consuming 300g of protien from lean meat, eggs & fish if i want to add muscle to my frame?

Just to add, im currently doing 4 crossfit sessions a week
Old 05-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
Harley Jennings

Profile:

What are your goals killer? Looking to promote lean muscle gain? 2g per lb will not hurt you at all. You'll find it hard to over eat on protein when you are getting it from whole food sources such as meat and eggs.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 05-20-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Craig Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
What are your goals killer? Looking to promote lean muscle gain? 2g per lb will not hurt you at all. You'll find it hard to over eat on protein when you are getting it from whole food sources such as meat and eggs.
Yeah, thats exactly what im looking to do. Should have explained a bit better in the original post.

How much fat would I need to consume to support lean muscle growth from eating 300g of protien. Would 300g of the right fats be OK to consume?Bearing in mind that that im eating paleo as best I can.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Harley Jennings

Profile:

I am the wrong guy to answer the grams of fat question man, I never worried about it. I always felt that if I was getting my protien from whole animal sources there would be enough fat to support what I wanted to do. Along with plenty of olive oil and nut butters.

I'll punt that one.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

From what I've read in here and my own personal experience, most people doing Paleo eat from 50 to 70% of their calories from fat. So if you're logging your food and you see you are already enough protein to sustain your needs, but you feel you need more calories, what you need to up is the FAT. Some people gulp down olive oil shots or eat coconut oil with a spoon. Me included.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Aaron Owens

Profile:

From what Ive read, excessive protein will be discharged from your body for the most part, too much may be converted to fat, but for the most part it will leave the body unused. The amounts mentioned above by Meredith would be right, but too much is a waste. As far as fat, your body needs it to support soft tissue repair and development (brain, ligaments, tendons, joints and so on) If your body receives enough fat from the right sources, it wont hold onto it for fat stores. Still I feel you need to be careful not to over do it. 40-50% fat per day is more than enough to sustain your body (my personal view). You have to view food as three different things, with three different tasks.

1) Protein: Builds and repairs your muscles
2) Fat: Builds and repairs soft tissue
3) Carbohydrates: Gives your body the fuel to do work

Everything with its proper proportions makes the human machine work right.

Last edited by Aaron Owens : 05-20-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: second guessed myself before lol this is what I ment to say
Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
Craig Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Owens View Post
From what Ive read, excessive protein will be discharged from your body for the most part, too much may be converted to fat, but for the most part it will leave the body unused. The amounts mentioned above by Meredith would be right, but too much is a waste. As far as fat, your body needs it to support soft tissue repair and development (brain, ligaments, tendons, joints and so on) If your body receives enough fat from the right sources, it wont hold onto it for fat stores. Still I feel you need to be careful not to over do it. 40-50% fat per day is more than enough to sustain your body (my personal view). You have to view food as three different things, with three different tasks.

1) Protein: Builds and repairs your muscles
2) Fat: Builds and repairs soft tissue
3) Carbohydrates: Gives your body the fuel to do work

Everything with its proper proportions makes the human machine work right.
Thanks for the replies guys
Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Meredith Launius

Profile:

50% fat calories put fat on me, obscene amounts of fat run my hubby like a top.Go figure. I think once yr super lean the extra fat is necessary but I run just fine on much less. I WISH I could eat a sh*t ton of fat!!!