CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #21
Craig Lewis

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil

is 1000mg flaxseed oil capsule a good oil to take as a supplement of is it better to stick with an o3 capsule?

Sorry if this seems a stuipd question, but still at the early stages of nailing my diet properly
Old 05-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #22
Jeremiah Sites

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McGlame View Post
The big question is is there a cost effective way to get the large amounts of FO rx'ed by the calculator, any suggestions????
Cosco's Kirkland brand is cheap, 400 pills for $10. I take 40 a day which is about $30 bucks a month. I have been taking them consistently for about a month and feel great. I went off this weekend for two days when I ran out and my back was immediately aching, back on now and back feels good again.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #23
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Stu,
In Canada you should be able to find the brand Nutra Sea. They have both liquid and pills. GNC may even carry it.
Oh God, did you just say GNC? I think I might faint....lol. I will only go there if I absolutely HAVE to...I will look around at some local health food shops or something first.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
is 1000mg flaxseed oil capsule a good oil to take as a supplement of is it better to stick with an o3 capsule?

Sorry if this seems a stuipd question, but still at the early stages of nailing my diet properly
it's not a stupid question.

Personally, I think it's better than not taking any o3 supplementation at all, but that it pales in comparison to fish oil.

While both sources of o3s, flax is primarily ALA, vs fish which is mostly EPA/DHA (which are the "magic silver bullets.")

while our bodies CAN convert ALA into EPA and DHA, it's inefficient...and i think some of the good stuff gets lost in the process?

This is also why chickens fed flaxseed make good choices for omega3 enriched eggs. Chickens convert ALA into EPA/DHA more effectively than we do
Old 05-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #25
Craig Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
it's not a stupid question.

Personally, I think it's better than not taking any o3 supplementation at all, but that it pales in comparison to fish oil.

While both sources of o3s, flax is primarily ALA, vs fish which is mostly EPA/DHA (which are the "magic silver bullets.")

while our bodies CAN convert ALA into EPA and DHA, it's inefficient...and i think some of the good stuff gets lost in the process?

This is also why chickens fed flaxseed make good choices for omega3 enriched eggs. Chickens convert ALA into EPA/DHA more effectively than we do

Thanks for that, its cleared a few things up for me
Old 05-31-2010, 04:19 AM   #26
Fritz Chatelier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Urquiza View Post
Look into a brand that has higher EPA/DHA per pill, should make life a little easier
I have the GNC brand which is 180/120 {EPA/DHA} and the calculator recommends 33 daily pills. I would like to cut this number down some. What brands are you guys taking?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:38 AM   #27
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega is the most concentrated fish oil product I know of. It is a an excellent product. You might find cheaper, but it will be hard to find better or more concentrated.

WFS Link
http://www.omega-dha-epa.com/product...te_liquid.html
Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
Brian Strump

Profile:

Here's a great abstract article from a study on Omega 3 fish oil, amounts, and inflammation.

http://danmurphydc.com/wordpress/wp-...1.ko-OMEGA.pdf

Here's the website where we purchase supplements for patients or CrossFit members, it's wholesale prices, and very good products. I can only speak for the Omega 3 and CoQ10 products.

http://www.vitacost.com/index.aspx

Both WFS.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #29
Fritz Chatelier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J. Fleming View Post
Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega is the most concentrated fish oil product I know of. It is a an excellent product. You might find cheaper, but it will be hard to find better or more concentrated.

WFS Link
http://www.omega-dha-epa.com/product...te_liquid.html
Thanks Kevin for the response. I had did some reserch last night after I posted the question and find this brand Whole Health Extra Strength Omega-3 High EPA/DHA Fish Oil. The EPA/DHA is 1200/600. http://www.wholehealth.com/index.cfm...FQ4NDQodZGSHEA Is there anything about this product that I should be aware of? Im new to Fish oil supplementation and I would like to make the right choice from those that are currently taking Fish oil.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #30
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

You want to make the sure the product is molecularly distilled to ensure the absence of impurities, including PCBs and heavy metals.

Other than Nordic Naturals, I like Biotest's Flameout.

Last edited by Kevin J. Fleming : 06-01-2010 at 07:50 AM.