CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Craig Lewis

Profile:
Bulgarain Tribulus

Anyone ever used this before?
If you have did you notice any difference in your training or body?

Would be interested to see if it does work or weather its just another gimmick??
Old 05-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Bulgarain Tribulus

useless.

Tribulus terrestris has no hormonal effects

The claims made by Tribulus terrestris supplements sellers are unfounded. Physiologists at the Universidade Federal do Parana in Brazil come to this conclusion in an animal study that will be published soon in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology. In experiments that they did, tribulus had no hormonal effects on rats.

In countries around the Mediterranean, herbal healers traditionally use extracts of the plant Tribulus terrestris as a remedy for infertility and impotence problems. Modern scientific studies have also confirmed the efficacy of tribulus for these complaints. In addition, however, the supplements industry started selling the same tribulus as a sports supplement, claiming that tribulus raises testosterone levels. One theory that supplements companies use to support their claims is that natural steroid compounds in tribulus are converted into DHEA or another testosterone prohormone.

The Brazilians decided to see whether this theory holds water. They gave the tribulus supplement Androsten, produced by the Brazilian supplements company Herbarium, to rats for a period of 28 days in doses of 11, 42 and 110 mg per kg bodyweight. The lowest dose is equivalent to the usual dose used by humans. Other groups of rats were given a daily 5 mg dose of DHEA per kg bodyweight, about ten times the amount that supplements companies advise humans to take, or 0.25 mg/kg testosterone propionate or 0.1 mg/kg ethinyl estradiol. The researchers administered all the hormones, dissolved in rapeseed oil, orally.

The tribulus extracts had no androgenic effect on castrated rats. The animals’ prostates did not grow as a result of being given tribulus. The testosterone propionate supplement, however, did have a growth-enhancing effect on the prostate.

When the researchers examined the faeces of the rats in the tribulus groups and compared them with those of the rats that had been given DHEA, they found that the faeces of the latter group contained more metabolites of male sex hormones. The faeces of the rats in the tribulus groups contained the same amounts of androgens as the faeces of the rats that had not had any supplements. So the theory that compounds in Tribulus terrestris are converted into DHEA or related steroid hormones does not hold water.

In female rats whose ovaries had been removed the tribulus extracts also had no hormonal effects, the Brazilians discovered when they compared cells from the uteruses of rats in the different groups.

A high dose of tribulus – but not the highest dose – did raise the testosterone level of the non-castrated rats, but the effect was not significant.

"Tribulus terrestris is not able to stimulate endocrine sensitive tissues such as the prostate, seminal vesicles, uterus and vagina in Wistar rats, indicating lack of androgenic and estrogenic activity in vivo", the researchers conclude. "We also showed an unchanged level of circulating androgens." The fertility of the rats was improved by the tribulus though.

It was already known that the manufacturers’ claims for tribulus supplements are not true. In 2008, doping hunters at the University of Lausanne in Switzerland reported that they had not been able to find any hormonal effects in tribulus users. Three years before, Bulgarian researchers had discovered that healthy men do not produce more testosterone as a result of taking Tribulus terrestris, [J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 Oct 3;101(1-3):319-23.] and five years before that, sports scientists at the University of Nebraska reported that power athletes had nothing to gain from taking tribulus. [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2000 Jun;10(2):208-15.]
Old 05-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
James Forshaw

Profile:

Great post, Frank. I've used Tribulus in the past with no effect, so thanks for putting any future urges I may have to bed.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Craig Lewis

Profile:

Thanks for that. Looks like its another gimmick then.

Has anyone used this and experianced any benifical effects though?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:
title states the answer

what part of non androgenic effect are you expecting to work?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...dd8e5557eca0d5 wfs

All results were within the normal range. The findings in the current study anticipate that Tribulus terrestris steroid saponins possess neither direct nor indirect androgen-increasing properties
Old 05-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Chris J Mason

Profile:

COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY!!!

If it worked I would sell it (assuming it was safe).
Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Venceslava Atilova

Profile:

Strangely enough I'm from Bugaria and never heard of that stuff.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Mark P Clark

Profile:

I began taking tribulus over a year ago. I was looking for a t-booster and had tried yohimbe, 6-oxo, and zma, in addition to tribulus. I didn't find yohimbe and zma to be helpful. However, 6-oxo and tribulus had similar effects on me. Tribulus is cheaper, so I've stuck with that.

The noticable effects of tribulus for me has been increased aggression and intensity. In the weight room, my desire and ability to lift heavier weights increased, and, in boxing and martial arts sparring, my reflexes were quicker. On the positive side, my physical performace has ampted. On the negative side, I stewed and held on to anger longer and drove more recklessly--at least the first several months. Now I take it around a 1/2 hour before I workout on the way to the gym after work, to avoid the irritability I felt towards people when I took it during the work day. These days, admittedly, I don't notice its effects as much. I keep making gains in my strength, but without the negative psychological symptoms--which actually makes it harder to detect. Nevertheless, I keep taking it.

I've read the articles mentioned saying that tribulus is ineffective, but from my experience, it was effective, so it might not work for everyone. And also, it isn't likely to be a placebo effect on me either, because it was with tribulus that I got results, not the other suppliments.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Mark, I think you are experiencing a placebo effect. With that said, if you think it works then keep at it.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Mark P Clark

Profile:

Chris, Craig Lewis wanted to know if anybody has used tribulus. I notice that I'm the only person who's responded that has mentioned PERSONAL experience--not sweeping opinions or references to scientific journals. Tribulus increases MY aggression and intensity when I take it, and has done so for almost 1 1/2 years. A placebo effect it certainly is not.