CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-06-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
Craig Lewis

Profile:
Help with my diet & weight

Hi all, im after a bit of advice on my diet if possible. Im looking to increase my body weight to 168lb-170lb. Im finding it very hard to put any sort of weight on.

Im currently 5"7 and weigh 154lb & do crossfit 4 times a week.
Im sticking to paleo as much as I can apart from the protien shakes as I find my workouts have improved

Typical days food intake:

Breakfast:
4 whole scrambled eggs, 2 tablespoons olive oil, spinich, 2 mackrel fillets. Handfull of Walnuts

Mid morning:
Optiumum nutrition protien shake 1 scoop, 1 pear, handfull macadamia nuts

Lunch:
2 Turkey steaks, roast parsnips, roast peppers, avacado, 2 tablespoons oilive oil. Handfull of unsalted pistachos

Mid afternoon:
Optiumum nutrition protien shake 1 scoop, 1 bananna, handfull od almond nuts

Post workout:
Small sweet potato, Optiumum nutrition protien shake 1 scoop

Dinner
Large fillet steak, sprouts, mushrooms, onions, 2 tablespoons oilive oil. Handful of pistachos

Is there anything obvious i need to do to my diet which im missing?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
James Forshaw

Profile:
Re: Help with my diet & weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
Im finding it very hard to put any sort of weight on.
Answered your own question there, haven't you. Eat more - simple as that.

If you want to put on the weight quickly, most folks here would advocate a gallon of whole milk a day plus consistently eating like your life depends on it. And switch to heavy lifting such as starting strength, it will put mass on you a lot quicker than Crossfit.

Depends on the specificity of your goals really.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
Frank Passalacqua

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
Answered your own question there, haven't you. Eat more - simple as that.

If you want to put on the weight quickly, most folks here would advocate a gallon of whole milk a day plus consistently eating like your life depends on it. And switch to heavy lifting such as starting strength, it will put mass on you a lot quicker than Crossfit.

Depends on the specificity of your goals really.
I agree, with doing some SS or something that's going to build some muscle mass. You don't want to gain junk weight. If you can incorporate some solid heavy lifting into your routine you should see some improvements. Don't go with any of those mass gainers or anything though bc its all crap. Protein shakes are fine though...just my .02. Lift heavy, get big.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
Craig Lewis

Profile:

I tried the milk thing, & its not for me. Felt sluggish & bloated & could tell i was putting weight on around my waist which i dont want.

If i do the SS training as well as crossfit 4 times a week, couldnt that result in overtraining??
Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I tried the milk thing, & its not for me. Felt sluggish & bloated & could tell i was putting weight on around my waist which i dont want.

If i do the SS training as well as crossfit 4 times a week, couldnt that result in overtraining??
If you want to gain 15lbs fairly quickly you can't expect it to be all lean mass. Rapid weight gain while maintaining abzzz isn't possible for most people unless they're on some stuff that's not legal. But it's not too difficult to lean out after you gain a bunch of weight--that'll go much faster than trying to put on pure muscle mass.

SS is a 3 day a week lifting program with no conditioning work. If you combine it with CF you'll get overtrained in a hurry and will stop seeing strength gains pretty quickly because SS depends on lots of rest in order to adapt to the stresses of each workout. Don't combine SS and CF, but you could look at one of the hybrid type programs--CFWF, CFSB, CFFB, MEBB, etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Craig Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you want to gain 15lbs fairly quickly you can't expect it to be all lean mass. Rapid weight gain while maintaining abzzz isn't possible for most people unless they're on some stuff that's not legal. But it's not too difficult to lean out after you gain a bunch of weight--that'll go much faster than trying to put on pure muscle mass.

SS is a 3 day a week lifting program with no conditioning work. If you combine it with CF you'll get overtrained in a hurry and will stop seeing strength gains pretty quickly because SS depends on lots of rest in order to adapt to the stresses of each workout. Don't combine SS and CF, but you could look at one of the hybrid type programs--CFWF, CFSB, CFFB, MEBB, etc.
It doesnt need to be put on quickly, i dont mind a small increase slowly. Im just not seeing any weight gains really. Im usually eatting around 3100-3300cal a day

Thanks for the advice on the SS training
Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
It doesnt need to be put on quickly, i dont mind a small increase slowly. Im just not seeing any weight gains really. Im usually eatting around 3100-3300cal a day

Eat more, train hard and you'll grow. You just need to be patient.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrit...ng_muscle_mass (wfs)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:

Eat more. It will be mentally challenging.

Bite the bullet for 1 month and do some kind of strength work (one of those hybrid programs, or better yet just SS with no conditioning) with dairy- GOMAD or half GOMAD with whole milk. Do that for 30 days and then tell me you didn't gain any weight.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #9
Craig Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Kirkland View Post
Eat more. It will be mentally challenging.

Bite the bullet for 1 month and do some kind of strength work (one of those hybrid programs, or better yet just SS with no conditioning) with dairy- GOMAD or half GOMAD with whole milk. Do that for 30 days and then tell me you didn't gain any weight.
I tried half GOMAD but it was not for me. I didnt feel right during the day or when I was training so I stopped it.

Im trying to stick to the Paleo as best I can but was wondering is it worth adding oats into my diet to get the calories up
Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

There are better calorie sources than oats--I don't know of any reasons to look to oats as a good way to put on muscle. If you're trying to gain lean mass, protein and fat will be more beneficial than carbs, not to mention all the reasons that grains in general aren't the best choice for overall health. Coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, almond butter, more meat, more eggs, etc. will all help you gain weight.