CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Chris Dufour

Profile:
which rack?

I'm wondering which rack to go with, the valor bd-6 (http://www.amazon.com/Valor-Fitness-...3611843&sr=1-1) or the body solid GPR370 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846) side notes, i don't think the body solid's safety rack is adjustable which the valor is, but the valor's safeties are much narrower. Also I've heard that racking the bar on the bunch of little hooks like the body solid has is a chore, but I think it would be better because there tons of positions to put the bar, so you can find the place you feel most comfortable.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Seth Spritz

Profile:
Re: which rack?

I wouldn’t count on those tiny safety catches on the Valor squat rack to help if you lose control of the bar. The spotter bars on the Body Solid squat rack are pretty skimpy too. Picture yourself backing out of the Body Solid squat rack (not facing the wrong way like the model in the picture) and where the bar will be on your back relative to those spotter bars. It may pay to keep looking, try Craigslist, etc. Also, you’ll get a lot more for just a few extra dollars with a full rack such as this one http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....nd-Attachments (WFS).

If you do decide to go for the Body Solid squat rack, I recommend Christian’s Fitness Factory http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....lti-Press-Rack (WFS). Their nominal price is higher but they have free shipping and a free $35 gift card with this rack. They are straightforward, honest, have good service and can answer your questions about these racks.

I could also recommend various racks sold by Rogue Fitness, Elite FTS, Again Faster, Ironmind and Sorinex. However, I’m not sure they have a squat rack with safety bars in this price range.

Some might recommend a squat rack without the safety stand (Rogue’s SPX System sells for $450 w/free shipping) and learning how to properly dump the weight but my personal preference is to have good safety bars.

Last edited by Seth Spritz : 01-16-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Rogue Fitness has the York Squat/Press stands on sale, too. They're a bulletproof stand, provided you have the room (a large footprint).
Old 01-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Larry Cook

Profile:

FWIW, I used to have the Promaxima rack that Seth mentions. It is a good piece of equipment for the price. I have also bought stuff from Christian - always had good luck.

Have fun shopping!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Tom Reyes

Profile:

When I said that they had them on sale, I meant it is significantly lower in price now, not that they simply sold them. When I re-read the post, it seemed a bit vague.