CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #81
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Howland View Post
Unrelated to the current discussion, but the one thing I thought was really cool in the video is the weightlifting facility Miko sometimes trains at. He mentioned it is supported by either the city or a non-profit society, and is actually free to train at for the public. Imagine how awesome it would be to train there, with former elite national level weightlifters practicing, for FREE. I would be willing to pay lots of money for that opportunity.
Yeah, it was cool to see all the different athletes there. You had the older weightlifter lifting just an absurd amount of weight on his deadilft and front squat.

Then you also had the skinny little teenagers doing bicep curls to "get shredded!!!".

It was just kind of cool to see how many different people showed up there. And all stopped and watched Mikko, which was awesome.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #82
Larry Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Gant View Post
Ok, I will. I am determined to find a pro athlete who can do as you say, as I believe there are many out there who could.

It might take me a couple of years, but I will find one!

I am enjoying this debate!

I am a little torn myself!
Mikko is this man! He played 4 years of soccer in England's Premier League (I'm no soccer expert, but I think this is pretty high level ). Yes, hes been a firefighter for I guess 6 years now, but he is/was a pro athlete. I think he picked up CrossFit in 2007, or so. Saved you a little work there, Leigh!

This is a fun thread ... Mikko is a great champ (they've all been great, IMO).
Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #83
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
He played 4 years of soccer in England's Premier League (I'm no soccer expert, but I think this is pretty high level)
Seriously? If that's true that's about as impressive as Welbourn. I'm surprised that hasn't been going around the campfire more.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #84
Larry Cook

Profile:

He states this himself in the documentary ... I don't have the exact minute mark for you, but its right around where he is doing some track work in the rain ... just after the hurdle hops, if I remember correctly.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #85
Dave Hardy

Profile:

I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of him playing in the Prem. The only reference I can find to his football career mentions his playing for a Finnish club, but not much else.

http://www.nordicfootball.info/finla.../musan-salama/ (wfs)
Old 01-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #86
Larry Cook

Profile:

Ya ... I just went back and checked the Sisu video ... at about 22:15 in he states he played 4 years in the FINNISH Premier League (at least that what it sounds like to me). I did think he said "English" the first time I watched it ... my bad.

Anyway, I don't know how high a level of soccer this is (FPL) - but I still think it would qualify him as a pro athlete.

(I should know better than to comment on soccer ... I'm sorry "football" )
Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #87
Nathaniel Case

Profile:

Roger Bannister ran a sub 4 mile may 1954. Half hour workouts, 3 or four days a week while attending school full time. Oh, and no man is "untouchable"
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #88
Leigh Gant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
Mikko is this man! He played 4 years of soccer in England's Premier League (I'm no soccer expert, but I think this is pretty high level ). Yes, hes been a firefighter for I guess 6 years now, but he is/was a pro athlete. I think he picked up CrossFit in 2007, or so. Saved you a little work there, Leigh!

This is a fun thread ... Mikko is a great champ (they've all been great, IMO).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Case View Post
Roger Bannister ran a sub 4 mile may 1954. Half hour workouts, 3 or four days a week while attending school full time. Oh, and no man is "untouchable"
Thats right, no man is untouchable.

I started actually CrossFit'ing in November (although have been using bits of it for years), so CrossFit Games 2011 here I come
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #89
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Most European countries have a lot more public support for sports (and the arts) than the US does. Then again, most Europeans also pay much higher taxes. I doubt we'd be able to get the TV-watching masses to tax themselves so we can throw heavy weights around.

Katherine
I hear ya, same deal here. In the video he says the club is supported by the society, I think that means the weightlifting society is a non-profit so it would run it's own fundraisers etc. (could be wrong here). Anyway, I think the bigger problem in North America is the general view of fitness and the model of the industry (trends, LSD running, body pump classes etc -- quick fixes). In Europe, weightlifting is at least somewhat know.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #90
Paul Casimir

Profile:

That documentary has a lot of hidden gems in it. The most underrated gem to me is Mikko getting 8 hours of sleep per night. That is about 1.5 hours more per night than the average person I work with in the office, including me. I'm guessing that is more than the average CrossFitter gets.