CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #21
Casey Crookston

Profile:
Re: Always Tired, Often Dizzy

Mike, great write up. Thank you.

I read all of "Fat Loss 101" and found it very helpful. So many of my friends still think cardio is the best way to burn fat, and they give me the "your nuts" look when I tell them that short, intense workouts are better for fat loss. Everything in that article validates Crossfit + Zone. Thanks for linking to it... I'm now off to share it with all of my friends!

As a P.S. to why I started this thread, I noticed a few days ago on the bottle of my high blood pressure meds this little, tiny warning: "May cause dizziness." I worked with the doc to find some different meds, and the dizzy spells have pretty much gone away. I am still hoping to be able to go off them totally once I get down to my target weight, but for now they are a necessity.

As for always being tired... that seems to have improved somewhat as well. Maybe, as Alicia and a few others pointed out, it just took my body some time to get used to not eating all the grains, breads, sugar and processed foods... which I stopped eating pretty much cold-turkey about two months ago.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #22
Meghan Reid

Profile:

When my mom started eating Paleo/Primal, she noticed that within a couple of weeks she started getting bad dizzy spells. Her doctor said it was because her blood pressure had dropped drastically, so she no longer needed as much of her medication. 5 months later she is completely off her blood pressure meds. Soo...this is probably just validating something you or someone else has already said, but +1 to adjusting your medication. And good luck!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #23
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
When my mom started eating Paleo/Primal, she noticed that within a couple of weeks she started getting bad dizzy spells. Her doctor said it was because her blood pressure had dropped drastically, so she no longer needed as much of her medication. 5 months later she is completely off her blood pressure meds. Soo...this is probably just validating something you or someone else has already said, but +1 to adjusting your medication. And good luck!
Excellent point....as I had a similiar experience with a client....medications need to be weened off with a doctor's supervision....but tell the doctor that is what you want (as you have control over your health, not him/her).

Also above...don't discount the importance of "lifestyle cardio" if you want to call it that. As doing intense workouts can generate fat to be released into the bloodstream but you still have to burn it. Adding in additional lower intensity movement like walking is a great way to take advantage after a workout. As long as your blood sugar is stable, that is what matters. If you are still crashing you may need to tone down the duration/intensity of your workouts and do more lower intensity and then build up little by little. Many do excessive high intensity cardio that end up crashing blood sugar, increasing cortisol and usually has the person eating more than they should because of it all. Just understand how fat loss happens with exercise hormonal responses and all day calorie deficit, and then the results will follow. That and understand you need to go at whatever pace you can (as intensity is all relative), and you can slowly build up the intensity as you get healthier.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 12-11-2009 at 09:34 AM.