CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
Scot Heyes

Profile:
Intermittent Fasting and the Zone

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading up on Mark Sissons site Marks Daily Apple, here he discusses the benefits of Intermittent Fasting. How does this work for those that Zone.

I can see how it works if you are on Paleo, also has anybody had any experiences with Intermittent Fasting positive or negative? Any comments would be welcomed.

Scot
Old 12-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Intermittent Fasting and the Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Heyes View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading up on Mark Sissons site Marks Daily Apple, here he discusses the benefits of Intermittent Fasting. How does this work for those that Zone.

I can see how it works if you are on Paleo, also has anybody had any experiences with Intermittent Fasting positive or negative? Any comments would be welcomed.

Scot

eat your prescribed blocks within the 6-8 hour "eating window."
Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

They are not mutually compatible. The Zone as written by Sears emphasizes meal timing and small regular meals. This, he feels, regulates insulin levels. He also advises against very large meals and the greater protein and carb count will spike insulin. Again this is as the book is written. See page 22 onwards of A Week in the Zone.

Of course if you just want to eat zone proportion (am isocalorific diet) and do IF then then I don't see any issue excepting counting blocks for your one or two feeds of the day may be a royal pain.

I have no idea how this will affect you from a performance perspective but hopefully others will chime in.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

The real benefit of IF is to really get away from some prescribed set eating plan (aka Zone like)....but it will depend on what your activity level it, your goals and recovery needs to determine the best course of action with IF. Keep in mind that Zone by default is a calorie deficit diet too so if you do IF too much while in too much calorie deficit, it may all come crashing down around you.

Of course being a tad biased on IF....you can read more with the ebooks on this site to get more info about how the basics of IF works. (link sfw)

In the end, IF is a tool you make work for you.....as like any tool, use it the right way and you can get great results, but use it the wrong way....and you may just be heading down a road to burnout (as most who eat too little will find out). Most importantly....remember the "I" in IF....aka "Intermittent".

There are many options to being lean and happy....just find what works and you enjoy.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 12-04-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
CJ Ryan Harris

Profile:

If you are eating 16 blocks a day.

Day1 32 blocks
Day2 0 blocks

Repeat at required, although not really zone anymore. Some people can go that long without food it works for some not for others.

But trying

Day 1 16 blocks
Day 2 0 blocks

Not a very good idea.

Or you can try to eat your 16 blocks in a short time window say 10am-4pm then fast the rest of the time.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Ryan Harris View Post

Day1 32 blocks
Day2 0 blocks
FYI, unless you plan on doing 36+ hour fasting....Day 2 is NEVER 0. Most IF plans are anywhere from 16-24 hours, but even 24 hours has you eating at least once on that IF day (as fasting 6pm Mon to 6pm Tues is 24 hours......but fasting 6pm Mon to 6am Wed is 36 hours). I would not recommend skipping a whole day for anyone starting (or even doing regularly for the most part) IF.

IF in its "simplest definition" is intermittent condensed eating windows while eating normal sized meals. Of course there is much more fine tuning one can do from there as lifestyle, activity, goals, food choices and many other factors come into play. More fasting is not always better, as the body just needs intermittent/actute stressors to respond to in a positive way....not ongoing or chronic (as it will start going in the opposite direction).
Old 12-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I've been doing just one day a week from 6pm to 6pm on monday or tuesday plus 16 blocks paleo zone the rest of the week and I like it!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
CJ Ryan Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
FYI, unless you plan on doing 36+ hour fasting....Day 2 is NEVER 0. Most IF plans are anywhere from 16-24 hours, but even 24 hours has you eating at least once on that IF day (as fasting 6pm Mon to 6pm Tues is 24 hours......but fasting 6pm Mon to 6am Wed is 36 hours). I would not recommend skipping a whole day for anyone starting (or even doing regularly for the most part) IF.

IF in its "simplest definition" is intermittent condensed eating windows while eating normal sized meals. Of course there is much more fine tuning one can do from there as lifestyle, activity, goals, food choices and many other factors come into play. More fasting is not always better, as the body just needs intermittent/actute stressors to respond to in a positive way....not ongoing or chronic (as it will start going in the opposite direction).
When I said that I meant 24 hours not 36. So it would be one day to the next. Just didn't break it down.

Thanks for the clarification though, I can see how most people would read that wrong.