CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #11
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: vegetarian paleo?

You're trying to cut out eggs because you want to restrict your dairy intake?

P.S.
Vegetarian paleo is like fat free bacon.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #12
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Ciccarella View Post
I do also eat eggs, but I am trying to cut them out because I'm also loosely following the blood type diet and blood type O diets call for restricted dairy intake.
Unless your medical doctor told you to follow the blood type diet for specific reasons I would suggest looking at other diet plans (like you are) such as Paleo or Zone. In my opinion the blood type diet just smells of quarkery.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #13
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
I do also eat eggs, but I am trying to cut them out because I'm also loosely following the blood type diet and blood type O diets call for restricted dairy intake.
FYI, despite the typical grocery store location next to the milk and cheese, eggs are NOT dairy (dairy is milk and milk products).
Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
Tom Reyes

Profile:

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds....." You can have a "clean" diet without eating meat, but in my mind, it's not paleo. Take the time, make the effort, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
Charles Staley

Profile:

Just as I read your post, a TV commercial came on (I missed what they were selling) that showed a thin attractive woman saying "I like to eat healthy..." while she took a bite out of a celery stick.

Imagine seeing a commercial where that same woman says "I like to eat healthy..." while eating a piece of bacon. It'll never happen, at least in the US.

Quote:
thanks for the help! I guess my reasoning for not eating meat in the first place was because of a lack of education...in high school I was under the misconception that red meat was bad so I cut that out completely...then with my hectic schedule I avoided cooking nearly altogether. Now I pretty much eat raw every day, but I think I'll just have to find the time and cook up some chicken on the weekends and keep it in the fridge for a week. I do also eat eggs, but I am trying to cut them out because I'm also loosely following the blood type diet and blood type O diets call for restricted dairy intake.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

how is it to be fed the same ''one size fits all answers'' all the time?

Some posts here are pretty retarded.
You dont need meat to be performing good. Vegetarism is a pretty decent lifestyle if you take the time to look into ways of making it works. Veggie eating only crap food just like the typical processed food american diet is dumb. Basicly, what i am saying is you can use that concept and make it work for optimal results. I dont believe in one diet for everybody, its just dumb.

I personnaly wouldnt be vegetarian because i find it limits alot the food you can eat (especially food that is pretty good for you (fish, meat, etc)), but i dont doubt one second you can make it work.

I would suggest reading some of Mike Mahler articles on his website. He is a vegan and in better shape than most of us. It might give you a few ideas.

As for protein sources, i would be eating alot of eggs, nuts, and lastly beans.

But, really, if the reason you are not eating meat is because you dont have time to cook, then, let me tell you that no matter what diet you follow, you will always have to cook or prepare food.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Yes, it is true that it is possible to be a vegetarian and meet your nutritional needs. Many have been sucessful in doing so. however as the OP does not "have time" to cook her meat for protein, I'm sure she wouldn't take the time to research being a vegetarian "the right way"

I think it's true though that getting enough protein as a veggie would be easy. Eggs, dairy, soy, legumes, whole grains. As a paleo veggie however, harder because you are left with only eggs. As a paleo Vegan.. well that would be extremely difficult. Unless you are chugging hemp shakes round the clock (is hemp paleo?)

So while it is possible to do, I see no reason to unless one feels extremely strongly about it and refuse to ever eat another living creature etc.

Why make life so difficult? we know meat is not actually BAD for us, it tastes delicious, it's the easiest way to get protein, so why bother not eating it unless you care about animals or somethin' And somebody who eats fish couldn't really care about animals that much so....
Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Patrick Millette View Post
I would suggest reading some of Mike Mahler articles on his website. He is a vegan and in better shape than most of us.
I "think" (but am not 100% sure) Mike may have been a meat eater at some point, as most big people who are "current" vegetarians usually did (and may have built their mass while eating meat and now just sustain on vegetarian....but again, just a hunch and not gospel).

Vegetarianism is a personal choice one is free to make....but if it is solely based on a fear of sat fat and meat giving heart disease, then it is sadly misguided. In general most vegetarians do find improved health, mostly because their original eating patterns/choices were crap in the first place. However a vegetarian diet may give more health problems if is it low in essential fat soluble vitamins/minerals and higher in unstable processed fats/foods.

I'll take a diet of natural (as it is only as good as the source it comes from and how it is treated/processed) whole milk, butter and eggs any day over low fat tofu burgers.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 12-03-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I have a buddy that was muscular and not fat, had the strength of a guerilla, then he went vegitarian. He lost 30 lbs and I didn't recognize him. he looks sucked up and he's not as out going as he was before. I think you would have to do alot of research and be very educated about the proper way to vegitize yourself. Not something I would do. I like to hang out with the rest of the hunter/gatherers. I see veggie folks eating grains. I personally don't think they are good for anybody and they should be cut out befor meat.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
John C Corona

Profile:

...surely all vegetarians are sickly looking and become introverts. I think vegetarian men even loose their testicles around month 3 of not eating meat. Some actually think that too much muscle mass is unnatural and consuming massive amounts of (protein) calories to sustain that muscle is detrimental to the body. It's very likely this person who lost 30lbs actually increased his strength:bw ratio.

...it is very funny listenning to all you 'meat' heads. I can hear the cows and piggy's screaming for their life. Oh the humanity...