CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Re: crossfit and bulking

Train Right (get rid of training ADD)
Progressively Load + Build Strength over time
Eat, Eat, Eat
Sleep
Be in it for the Longterm (not a rapid-quick bulk in 30 days)

Read this article at Weston Price about the history of Nutrition and Bodybuilding (link sfw) and see what they ate....one of the best reads on the subject, ever.

If you think your BF is creeping up, you can always add some low intensity walking in the AM/PM, but getting lean first is a good start to putting on muscle and still being low BF% over time (has to do with improving muscle insulin sensitivity with training while having higher insulin resistance with fat cells).

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 12-01-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Steve Collegio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
70s Big (WFS) should be your go-to reference.
this!!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Laura Kurth

Profile:

That was a v interesting read, thanks Mike!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
That was a v interesting read, thanks Mike!
No problem, always fun to re-read all that.

I like this part especially (although probably some slight exageration...or not...who knows)

Quote:
Ron Kosloff who said he didn’t change a thing. "I knew what I saw," he told me. "My grandparents lived on a farm and ate whole milk, cream, eggs, butter, meat, potatoes and homemade bread. My grandfather often ate 6 eggs a day for years, many of them raw, along with lard sandwiches. He lived to 98 while my grandmother lived to 101. What astounded me most was their farmhand who went by the name of Indian Joe. When I first saw him he looked in his 40s and was incredibly cut and muscular. He looked like Conan. I was shocked when I found out he was well into his 70s. Indian Joe lived to 115 years of age and ate nothing but meat, glands and intestines!" Kosloff had consumed a minimum of 6 eggs daily for the previous 20 years with no ill effects. Ron also noted that bodybuilders like Gironda and Blair were warning him back in the late 60s of the real hazardous fats--hydrogenated oils!
Just goes to show...old school works...but also should use "old school" food quality as well (as today's can be a different story). It's not how much you eat afterall...it is how much your body actually digests and utilizes, which with more modern processed (heated and treated) foods deficient in natural enzymes/vitamins/minerals/EFAs can be a real issue.

To the original poster....think of it this way, if your weekly shopping cart is full of zone bars and lean cuisine, don't plan on putting on much muscle....instead it should be stacked with cartons of (pastured ideally) eggs, various meats (grass fed ideally for red meat, and fish high in Omega 3s like Sardines/Salmon/Herring), veggies/fruits, nuts, plenty of butter, (sweet) potatoes and gallons of whole (not skim or 2%) milk if you can tolerate it, and raw ideally.

I also like this part.....of course I am biased a tad
Quote:
Strongfort suggested eating only two meals a day, a strategy shared by Macfadden that would re-emerge in the 60s and 70s. Strongfort and Macfadden both advised against overconsumption of food. They claimed overconsumption created a negative stress on the body’s systems, sensible advice that bodybuilding publications would ignore in the coming years.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 12-01-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
John Jaeckel

Profile:
Re: Indian Joe

Most amazing thing I ever saw was a Native American (Dogrib) fishing guide up in the Northwest Territories cooking a lake trout head whole and cracking the skull open and eating the brains. He told me eating organs, especially brains, was the "Dogrib" way. Vestige of our hunter gatherer ancestors who ate organs, brains, etc to the benefit of their heakth. Promised myself then, next time I'm up there, I'm eating BRAAAAAAAIIIIINS!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #16
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bravman View Post
Or does anyone eat like a bodybuilder would... high carbs and protein and still able to pull off the crossfit workouts?
are you an endurance athlete? you are 1 inch shorter than me, and I am around 15% BF. You should do something like Perf Menu, Crossfit Football, Crossfit Strength Bias; something that focuses on lifting and heavy met cons. Do this for 6 months. During that time I wouldn't eat Paleo or Zone, who cares, just eat. Dairy, meat, bread.. burgers... mm.. burgers. Gain muscle, get fat, than trim back with one of the diets above. You will be faster, but you need to build yourself.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
Will Armstrong

Profile:

Hi-

I'm 5'11" 205 pounds, avatar is roughly current. I am presently in a "bulking" phase so I know what you are (or will be) going through.

I have a goal of consuming 8,000 calories a day. If this seems like a lot to you, my maintenance is 3,700 (roughly).

The sheer volume of food can be difficult. It's 9:30 AM here and I've already eaten 6 eggs, a slice of cake, a slice of pecan pie, and 4 cups of whole milk.

Yes, 8,000 calories. Try and actively "think fat". Move slowly and deliberately.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #18
Will Armstrong

Profile:

I should also note that in my avatar I'm probably anywhere from 10-15% bf. I never measure, so I'm just guessing.

If you think you are 4-6%, you should go to the gas station nearest you right now, buy 12 honey buns, and do nothing until they're gone. There's no excuse for being that lean.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
Steve Collegio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Armstrong View Post
I should also note that in my avatar I'm probably anywhere from 10-15% bf. I never measure, so I'm just guessing.

If you think you are 4-6%, you should go to the gas station nearest you right now, buy 12 honey buns, and do nothing until they're gone. There's no excuse for being that lean.
i'd go as far and say theres no REASON to be that lean, unless you compete in those shows where you standin your bikini bottoms and cover yourself in brown paint.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #20
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collegio View Post
i'd go as far and say theres no REASON to be that lean, unless you compete in those shows where you standin your bikini bottoms and cover yourself in brown paint.
Mud wresting?

Another good source for old school nutrition (as well as being one of most enjoyable and comprehensive books on weight training) is the Complete Keys to Progress by John McCallum.