CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Husband suggested this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pankratz View Post
OMG!!! Totally awesome!
Did Cindy today, didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but it's a beginning. Only had a way to do the push ups and sit ups. Body started to 'shut down' after the 3rd rep of push-ups, but I'm going to do the work-out again tonight after the kiddos go to bed.
Glad you got a chance to try it! It feels great though, doesn't it? I would probably hold off on trying the workout again. If this is your first time, you may want to ease into it a bit. No sense in not being able to move tomorrow
Old 11-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
OMG!!! Totally awesome!
Did Cindy today, didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but it's a beginning. Only had a way to do the push ups and sit ups. Body started to 'shut down' after the 3rd rep of push-ups, but I'm going to do the work-out again tonight after the kiddos go to bed.
First, congratulations on your first CF workout!

this is where that "creative scaling" I was talking about comes in. CF has some HARD movements, and not everybody can do them right away. Hell, after 2 years I still run into the occasional WOD that has a movement I can't do (1-legged squats with a 55-lb dumbbell come to mind).

if you can get through a couple rounds of cindy doing full pushups, that's awesome, but if you quickly find your arms giving out on you after a rep or two, it's time to scale. there is no shame in doing pushups on your knees. Sometimes that's too much, and you can scale further. The easiest variation is probably wall-pushups, where you lean against a wall and do pushups against it. if that's too easy, try putting your hands on a countertop or kitchen table... if that's too easy, try a coffee table. over time you can work up to knee pushups, then to full pushups. your body will thank you and you'll ultimately make progress faster.

any movement can be scaled like this... pullups can be worked up to with negatives, jumping pullups, band-assisted pullups, ring rows, body rows (a search will get you a description of any of the above).

Over time you'll be able to improvise your own scaled versions of things.

Keep it up!
Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Frank pointed this thread out to me, so I'll chime in a little bit.

First, you already know that CP isn't going to keep you from getting healthy since you were fit as a teenager. The key to training with CP is recognizing your limitations and safely working around and through them.

BTW, what kind of CP do you have?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Troy, I've been living with my limitations and trying to be careful for many many years, so easing in isn't the issue, it's keeping up with it when the toddlers are in my face
Good, and good luck! You might be amazed just how many people post here who are either training someone brand new, or are brand new, to working out at all, and dive right into the main sight or something about as intense like it's no thing.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Alex, if you are trying to do this on your own, I would highly reccomend looking into the Martin's BrandXCF scaled workouts on their forum. They scale the daily WOD every day.

You say balance issues and that tells me you should work on something like Tai Chi,Yoga, or Chi Kung as well as CF because ballet is very boring as is the music. Ok, it's not that bad, but I think it may just be too boring for most of us.