CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #41
Mark Williams

Profile:
Re: One man and his ACL

What Went In
1,712kcals
82.7g fat
80.6g carbs
156.3g protein

What Came Out
Treadmill work
5 mins lvl 4
90 seconds lvl 11
90 seconds lvl 4
3 mins lvl 11
3 mins lvl 4
90 seconds lvl 11
90 seconds lvl 4
3 mins lvl 11
3 mins lvl 4
HR straight after run - 185
1 min walk - 161
2 min walk - 131
3 min walk - 125

Skills
Bear Complex, 40kg 3x3

Heavy
Deadlift
1x5 - 60kg
1x5 - 80kg
1x5 - 95kg
1x5 - 105kg
1x5 - 115kg PR

Met-Con
15-12-9
Power Clean 60kg
Shoulder Press 60kg

Notes
-Let myself down with bar of chocolate today.
-knee was looser than yesterday but took a while to loosen totally in the run.
-3x4 for bear next
-deadlift progressing, up to 95/105/117.5kg next week
-met-con was weird. 60kg was so easy for me before my injury and now I have to pull to get it up. Still... I'll be stronger at them tomorrow than I am today.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #42
Mark Williams

Profile:

Weight 192.5lbs so no change from Monday. A little disappointing but decided on taking day off from the fast/diet anyway. Its good for the soul.

What Went In
Any bad carbs that stayed still long enough.

Workout
Treadmill work
5 mins lvl 4
90 seconds lvl 11
90 seconds lvl 4
3 mins lvl 11
3 mins lvl 4
90 seconds lvl 11
90 seconds lvl 4
3 mins lvl 11
3 mins lvl 4

Skill
Bear Complex, 40kg 3x3

Met Con
15-12-9
50kg front squats
Dips
30kg dbell swings
time - 15.50

Notes
-Not sure if a weight loss stall this early on means I should reconsider IF yet but I'll give it some thought.
-treadmill was mentally tough today but physically easy enough.
-terrible time on the metcon, but needed to take my time on the front squats so i could focus on form so had to wait until I had some semblance of strength left between triples. Dips were stupid easy, should have added some weight. if knees don't play up after front squats today may add them in to help strengthen.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #43
Mark Williams

Profile:

Felt groggy today after carb overload yesterday. Its funny how you have little or no cravings then have a blow out day and suddenly the next day you want sugar on everything! Plus, needed something to take away the foul taste in my mouth having stayed up til six to watch the Anderson Silva farce.

Looking through log, not entirely sure why I steered away from the zone, admittedly it was a ball-ache measuring everything but I got pretty good at guestimating most of it. I'll go back to it, half ration of carbs blocks, replaced with fat blocks and take it from there. This week will be a bit loose because payday is Friday and I'm not spending a bean between now and then.

Workout
Power clean
1x5 - 50kg
1x5 - 60kg
1x5 - 65kg
1x5 - 67.5kg
1x5 - 70kg

Rehab
-right foot behind resting on bench then hop off left 6-8inches to the right and back again, 5x5
-right foot behind resting on bench then hop off left 6-8inches to the left and back again, 5x5
-5x20m runs on track, trying to increase power down each time
-5x5 hop up onto step and back down
-3x20m runs on track, trying to increase power down each time

met-con
10 rounds
10 pull-ups
20 push-ups

core
getup-situps, 3x5 each side, 9kg

Notes
Change of tact. My immediate concern is taking my knee rehab to the next level, ie; functional movement. I didn't think I could run until I did the treadmill work. While that has been useful, there's no real progression in terms of rehabbing the knee - developing running wind, yes, but no actual rehab progression. For me, the next stage is to get some snap back so will take the time normally spent on the treadmill to work some agility and try to get to sprints. To compensate for lack of cardio, will begin prioritising WODs with run/row elements more.
-was a little disappointed with the power cleans until I saw my previous 3RM was only about 77.5kg... just didn't have the snap I wanted though.
-side hops and hop-ups were good, little sore on the tendon but nothing to write home about... runs were weird. I've actuall forgotten how to run properly. Looked stupid, I daresay, felt very flat-footed but felt it was improving very slightly by the last run. Speed was shockingly slow.
-pleased with the WOD, first time I have done a serious number of pull-ups without assistance and, when you consider my last Angie involved the same total number of pull-ups, with lvl 4 assistance and still took 12-13 mins just to do them, I can be pleased with this. Also, first set of ten unbroken, and all press-ups unbroken.
-keeping gusu wait the same for a bit.

Day off tomorrow and I need it. Physio appointment in the morning so will undoubtedly regret pummelling the tendon today because its deep massage tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #44
Mark Williams

Profile:

Took a week off, didn't eat zone but not total crap all the time either. No training since Sunday last week - my body was a little tired but main reason was physio session on Monday left me unable to walk properly til Thursday.

Back on 15 blocks - half carb block, about 1.5x fat blocks, but some of my protein choices are a little fatty - ie; lamb.

Workout
5 mins bike

met-con
30 dips
20 dbell swings, 25kg
10 chins
3 round
time - 13.45

rehab
2 foot hops, 5x5
1 foot hops, 5x5
1 foot hop left and backs 2x5
1 foot hop right and backs 2x5
1 foot hop to 90 degrees left and back 2x5
1 foot hop to 90 degrees right and back 2x5
lunges, focus on driving back up, 3x5

extra kcals
x-trainer, hill, 20 mins, lvl 12

Notes
-met-con was ok, but chins suffered with the week off. 1st round of dips were unbroken, so I can now do 30 in a row - could only do 7 when I started.
-rehab was a little sore at the time, hurting now.
-x-trainer was lame but its an extra couple hundred calories.

Hoping for a solid week, and will be happy with still being 192.5 or less come next Saturday as feeling sluggish after this week off.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #45
Mark Williams

Profile:

The problems I described in my last few posts - namely my knee flaring up and it becoming difficult to walk - ended in more surgery A second-look arthoscopy showed the new ligament was strong, but that a slight roughening of the cartilage was causing irritation and therefore the discomfort.

The surgery was a month ago and now I've got the green light for jogging and general training again so got back on the horse this evening. My intention was to repeat the first treadmill session I did a couple of months ago, follow it up with a deadlift based metcon and shake the rust off. I did do the treadmill session, and even at a better speed than before with my new, looser knee... however, I did what I thought would be a warm-up set of deadlifts and nearly threw up. Clearly, the rust wasn't just on the bodywork!

Workout
Treadmill work
5 mins - lvl 4;
60 seconds lvl 12, 90 seconds lvl 4 - repeat for 20mins

deadlift - 10x100kg

Notes
-running felt better, dull ache for first few run portions, but settled down nicely.
-met-con was a non-starter

Tomorrow, I'll probably drop the run in favour of a met-con and easyish cycle to save the impact on my freshly healed cartilage.

Dietwise - going 15 block zone, with 2/3 carbs and 2xfat blocks. Food choices are decidedly mediterranean - all carbs being either tomatoes, spinach, wholemeal pitta/ciabatta, or fruit, protein being mainly fish, and fats predominantly from olives, avocado and olive oil. My mate at work has been bringing in this sort of food over the past few weeks and really got me into it. I went up to 198lbs while waiting for surgery and recovery, but dropped to 196lbs in the last 2 weeks with no activity eating this sort of stuff. From today it was zone portioned though. Will see how it goes.

Enjoying the endorphin buzz now but a bit anxious as to how bad my first metcon is going to suck if I couldn't do more than one set of deadlifts after a run!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #46
Mark Williams

Profile:

Was sore after the run so took a couple of days... legs still a bit stiff but nothing like a WOD to loosen up1!

Did a repeat of the first crossfit workout I did post-surgery in February...

Workout, including WOD 090219
5 minutes bike - lvl 8

50 Dips
800m Row
50 Press-ups
800m Row
50 Press-ups (feet on swiss ball)
800m Row

Time: 19.03 -0.23 PR -6.14 from 1st attempt in Feb.
20 minutes X-Trainer - lvl 9 (60-80rpm)

single leg extensions - 3x10 @ 5kg

notes
-pleased with WOD, felt like **** but posted better time than before my enforced lay off.
-very embarrassed by the leg extensions... I thought I was being extremely cautious throwing a 15kg weight on. But I couldn't move it. Not an inch. Had to go all the way to 5kg to get good reps. Looooonng road.

Diet
very good except for a weak moment involving a chocolate bar. Other than that, was all tomatoes, olives, rabbit and stuff like that.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #47
Mark Williams

Profile:

Well, I woke up this mornin' (dadadadadum)
And what did I see (dadadadadum)
A young lady name of Eve (dadadadadum)
Who scared the **** outta me (dadadadadum)

So... I did some 500m row sprints instead.

500m rows - drag lvl 9
4 rounds, resting 2 mins between rounds
1 - 1.41.2 -0.3.8PR
2 - 1.48.6
3 - 1.49.0
4 - 1.50.0
total - 7.08.8 -0.15.2

followed by some embarrassing/soul destroying single-leg curls
3x10 @ 15kg

and 20 mins x-trainer, lvl 12 hill program

Notes
-Very surprised with the rowing, felt like hell but shaved a few seconds off my 500m PR and kept all at 1.50 or under.
-Ham curls were nearly as humbling as the extensions yesterday. Not a fan of isolation stuff but needs must.
-overall, diet was good today but need to start saying no to the chocolate machine.

Forgot to say, I weighed in at 195lbs on Sunday, hoping for 193 this weekend.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #48
Mark Williams

Profile:

Workout
Power Clean
40kg, 1x5
50kg, 1x5
65kg, 1x3
70kg, 1x3
75kg, 1x3

Deadlift
75kg, 1x5
85kg, 1x5
95kg, 1x5
105kg, 1x5
120kg, 1x5

Hammer Curl
14kg dbells, 3x12

1-Leg Quad extension
5kg, 3x12

Stepper
10mins,lvl 12

Notes
-Already feeling more snap in the power cleans than I could get prior to the second surgery.
-Deadlift felt solid, up to 125kg next time
-Quad extension felt better today, when I can do 3x20, up wt and drop reps
-Stepper will be replacing x-trainer, it's harder and is also helping with leg drive which will help with rehab.
-Did a very short jog on the indoor track and tried a sprint... wouldn't call it a sprint because I couldn't put much power down but this time it was because of the muscle being weak, not because of pain or lack of range of motion as was the case prior to second surgery. Felt optimistic afterwards
Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #49
Mark Williams

Profile:

Good news from the physio today - green light to do any movements I want, both in terms of weight training, sprints, agility etc. Graft is great, joint surface is fine, the only limiting factor now is muscle strength and coordination which should come back quickly.

She did recommend stepping up balance work and strength work this month before worrying too much about sprints, so that is roughly my plan - July is about getting ready for sprints, August and September will be about getting some speed back, with a view to beginning rugby practice in October. I can barely believe I'll be playing again

In celebration, dropped my rest day and did...

Workout
wobble-board work

Helen
3 rds for time
400m run
25kg dbell swings x 21
chins x 12
time - 18.17 (+0.13)

alternating leg press - 30kg, 3x12
alternating quad extension - 5kg, 3x12

Notes
-took 13 seconds longer than last Helen attempt, but I'll take it as this time I did the running on an indoor track rather than a treadmill which I found harder and takes me a step closer to running on a pitch again. Very hot in the gym but a bit disappointed to have to stop on the second and third runs. Hoping for quick improvements.
-hammer strength machines are good because you can use limbs independently and I definitely noticed the difference between my left and right legs. Felt good though and look forward to building up the weights and progressing to regular squatting (not enough strength at or below 90 degrees just now to make squatting worthwhile)

Diet was ok but my workmates sister is doing her best to sabotage me, sending him in with carrot cake for us to share. I'll train again tomorrow and Saturday, taking Sunday off - hopefully in celebration of a couple more pounds shedded.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #50
Mark Williams

Profile:

Workout
Wobble-board work

Dips
1x5 @ 10kg
1x5 @ 15kg
1x5 @ 25kg
1x5 @ 30kg
1x5 @ 40kg (PR)

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
60kg power clean
pull-ups
time: 18.03

Quad Extension
3x15 @ 5kg

Notes
- Dips were deep and strong... only increase by 2.5kg next time.
- met-con was taken from the crossfit football site and kicked my arse. Not a great time, maybe an extra minute could have been shaved off because the chinning bar was in demand, but it was a good workout.
- was going to do 3x10@7.5kg but still not got the strength to do it! Build to 3x20 and then have a go at increasing the weight. Hope it comes back quick!