CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-19-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Mark Williams

Profile:
UFC 97 Spoiler

What were everyone elses thought on last nights card?

I enjoyed some of the undercard, although I'm starting to feel like UFC is becoming more and more like Muay Thai with undersized gloves. Not sure if its just because I prefer the wrestling, gnp type stuff that we're not really seeing at the moment but, having said that, I enjoy good old fashioned stand up tearups too.

Gutted about Chuck. The intensity and hunger is unquestionable but it seems the mma fighters get to a certain age and their jaw just goes - not so long ago, Chuck was eating Wandys swings and now he's dropping whenever he gets caught flush. Same is happening to Wandy, come to mention it, and I'm pretty sure Randy took bigger shots in the past than the clip he took from Brock. Having said that, being clipped by a truck will still hurt!
Big Chuck fan but hope he hangs em up now.

The main event was the worst I have ever seen. Silva made noises about wanting to put on a show then proceeded to take more than a minute to throw a punch - not land a punch, just throw. In fact, Leites threw more flying knees and head kicks in round 1 than Silva and I think he stole round 2. I think its fair to say Leites was outclassed and the flops to the butt were a bit embarrassing but it makes sense not to have a kickboxing match with one of the best strikers in mma when you are a bjj stud. To my mind, Silva should never have been taken 5 rounds by this guy but he seems reluctant to pull the trigger - perhaps more interested in records than in fighting and risking getting caught? Any guy who steps into the ring/cage deserves unconditional respect but Silva lost a bit last night.

Hell, even Rogan who can normally be found residing up Silvas *** seemed gutted.

Thank god we have grudge matches and awesome looking fights next month
Old 04-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Frank Dennis

Profile:
Re: UFC 97 Spoiler

Pretty much ditto.

I understand the tactical approach both Silva and Leites were taking, and it's one of those things where the most intelligent approach for the fighter to take yields a boring fight.

However, I don't understand Silva's continual reluctance to close and risk going to the ground with Leites in the latter rounds, because every time they got into Leites' domain Silva handily escaped, I mean the man made it look dead easy.

Very disappointing fight; if you don't want to take any risks, you're in the wrong sport.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Jason Lin

Profile:

Silva looked bored. He looked bored against Cote and he looked bored last night.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Cantwell v. Cane was my favorite. I think Cantwell could have won if he'd kept a little more pressure on. I don't know why he backed Cane against the cage over and over only to retreat and give him room to maneuver. Cantwell is only going to get better.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
Cantwell v. Cane was my favorite. I think Cantwell could have won if he'd kept a little more pressure on. I don't know why he backed Cane against the cage over and over only to retreat and give him room to maneuver. Cantwell is only going to get better.
Cantwell vs. Cane and Stout vs. Wilman were my favorites of the night. Although, it was both amusing and annoying to watch Wilman have to keep brushing his hair out of his eyes. LOL Where was everything he brought at the end of round 3 the first two rounds?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
Very disappointing fight; if you don't want to take any risks, you're in the wrong sport.
That pretty much sums up my frustration any time I see a fight like Silva vs Leities. I hate lay and pray. I hate waltzing. I expect more of a display of skill than either of those strategies have to offer. To me, if you're not finishing the majority of your opponents or you're putting on a performance like we saw last night you deserve every criticism you get. Some of the best fights we've seen have gone to a decision and that's cool, but it's all in how you get there. Some people say that perspective belongs in the WWE but this sport is supposed to be the closest to physical combat of any sport. To me, that necessitates there being a strong desire to finish the opponent off at some point before time expires whenever possible. Excessive caution, not wanting to engage, or failing to attempt to finish more than a teeny bit because it opens you up to the opponents offense doesn't belong. Ireally think the UFC needs a yellow card system.

I was really surprised Silva came out like that after the fight with Cote. I was expecting him to come out looking to prove to the fans the Cote fight was an anomaly. Leities was clearly outclassed standing and really wanted to get it to the ground. At least when Silva closed in on the striking and Leities got in trouble he went for the ankle pick. I've always liked Silva but that fight with Cote was disrespectful to the fans, imo, and now after this fiasco I'm at the point now where I hope Silva loses badly his next fight.

Silva's P4P rankings should go down the tubes as well. You don't see Fedor come out and put on a pathetic display like that, and he's not cutting from 212 to fight in a division almost 30 lbs lighter.

I thought Cantwell vs Cane and Stout vs Wilman were both good fights. I've been a Chuck Liddell fan for a lng time but I was glad Shogun won. It's too bad the main event was the worst fight of the evening.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Gutted about Chuck. The intensity and hunger is unquestionable but it seems the mma fighters get to a certain age and their jaw just goes - not so long ago, Chuck was eating Wandys swings and now he's dropping whenever he gets caught flush. Same is happening to Wandy, come to mention it, and I'm pretty sure Randy took bigger shots in the past than the clip he took from Brock. Having said that, being clipped by a truck will still hurt!Big Chuck fan but hope he hangs em up now.
I'm not sure if the reason it seems easier to KO someone like Chuck is because of age. I think it's also because once you get KO'd it's easier to be KO'd after that, or at least that's the saying. Or maybe it's because there are more proficient strikers in the UFC now then there used to be. A lot of us have said for a long time a good striker will give Chuck a challenge. That was made apparent when he fought Rampage and Overeem in Pride. His style is awesome for fighting wrestlers or BJJ practioners because he has some of the best takedown defense in the business. But for much of his reign most of the best UFC LHW's were ground fighters. Since there has been an influx of guys that can throw leather Chuck has had more of a mixed record. The thing I don't get is that Chuck hardly seems to alter his strategy even though it's obvious people have figured out how to beat him. If he'd tweak things a little more I think he could get back to being a top 5 LHW. But ya, it wouldn't be a bad time to retire.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Mark Williams

Profile:

I don't think Silva does his PR any favours either - he starts showboating when there's nothing to showboat about, walks away when Rogan is asking post-fight questions (I know he has an interpreter but it just seemed rude!), and does a Frenchmans Shrug when asked why it wasn't a good fight.

Agree about Cantwell, seems to have everything, including time.

Plus, Kongo has the scariest physique in mma
Old 04-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I have to figure out if CF will give me a body like Kongo, he probably has *ahem* chemical help.

As for Silva. I don't think this will affect his P4P rankings. He's still one of the best if not the best in the world.
It's apparent he doesn't want to fight people that are below his level. He could've finished Leites at anytime during that fight. He wasn't afraid to hit the ground with him. I think he was just looking to humiliate and embarass Leites to kind of say "Hey, quit giving me this crap." I think the dude wants a challenge. But there's nobody at MW that can challenge him so I dunno what he's going to do.

It's pretty obvious he had about zero respect for Cote and Leites fighting abilities.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Jason Lin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Rapp View Post
Excessive caution, not wanting to engage, or failing to attempt to finish more than a teeny bit because it opens you up to the opponents offense doesn't belong. Ireally think the UFC needs a yellow card system.
Well, as long as you use the point system, you can't really penalize a guy for winning a round in whichever way he chooses. But I agree with you, it was a bad fight.

He did fire off some pretty funny shots though ... like the punches to the leg and then there was that one weird kick he did off his back leg, kind of like a soccer dribbling move ...

Last edited by Jason Lin : 04-19-2009 at 05:51 PM.