CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #31
Mark Williams

Profile:
Re: One man and his ACL

Diet
chicken, bbq dip (not much I promise!) tuna eggs bacon steak

Workout
Treadmill work 1.5 incline
5 mins walk - 90 sec jog - lvl 10 with 2 mins walk - lvl 4 for 20 mins

37.5kg (82.5lbs)Sumo deadlift high pull x 21
50kg (110lbs) Ohead barbell press x 12
5 rounds

TIME: 16.00 (5.49 PR)

10 x swiss ball squats
5 x swiss ball 1 leg holds - not quite 90 degrees

Notes
Diet is veering off zone onto anabolic style now, although I haven't been counting cals so not sure how well I'm doing it. Going to see how weight is this week because also dropped the cycling to spare my relatively good knee and the pain seems to be subsiding. I know the running is harder on the knees than cycling but I need to run to continue progressing with my rehab so the cycling will have to be on a "by feel" basis.

WOD was one I did a couple of years ago when I was 192lbs and had my original acl and was a lot fitter so to smoke my previous PR was nice. I had to focus on bending my knees for the SDHP because my body knows the left side isn't very strong so naturally tries to stop me squatting too much. Shoulder presses were solid and relatively easy, which is the exact opposite to how I found it back when I first did this one.

Swiss ball work is going to be a staple at the end now.

Tomorrow will be a core and cardio day, nothing intense, just the treadmill, core work, more single leg work and sauna.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #32
Mark Williams

Profile:

wow - I had 4 days off in a row My parents came to stay which was cool but meant 4 days off training and 3 off the diet - although diet could have been worse...

Back on it today, will get more accurate with blocks etc soon but for now, 5 feeds featuring eggs, steak, chicken and fish, with guest appearances by brocolli, oranges and - for one night only - egg noodles will do for the next day or so.

Working on a template based on Gants hybrid thread which I'll post when its done for my records with a commitment to follow it for 6 weeks before tweaking, if necessary.

Workout
5 mins walk - 90 sec jog - lvl 10 with 2 mins walk - lvl 4 for 20 mins

5 x 10 each side 3kg medicine ball lying side twists
5 x 10 swiss ball squats to 90 degrees

DEADWEIGHT
90kg BENCH PRESS X 5
90kg DEADLIFT X 5
PULL-UPS X 5
5 ROUNDS
Time - 5.30

Notes
Running was strange. After a 4 day lay off my wind was definitely better and my HR recovered down to 120 between each run interval - HR 1 min after last run was 146 and this is a noticeable improvement on last weeks. I'll start noting my HR at the end of the session and use this as my score. It'll go up as the weeks go by as my intervals increase and rest decreases but it'll be interesting. Having said my wind was up, my calves felt it and really hurt for the last 10 mins.
Core work was good. Squats hurt like **** and therefore will become a daily exercise, maybe alternating them with belgian split squats.
WOD was cool, bench and deadlift easy and unbroken, pullups were broken for the 3rd 4th and 5th round but all good reps and dead hang.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #33
Mark Williams

Profile:

Had 2 choc bars at work today - need to get my **** together to make sure I don't slip back into old ways.

Workout
5 mins walk - 90 sec jog - lvl 10 with 2 mins walk - lvl 4 for 20 mins, finished on 146bpm

TGU breakdown drills, 5 reps sit-up portion, 5 reps step through and twist portion with 10kg - 3 x each side

5x10 swiss ball 90 degree squats

'Everest'
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
60kg sdhp
dips + 30kg
get as far as you can in 10 mins
10/9/8/7 completed + 6 sdhp

Notes
HR same as yesterdays. Run felt really good.
TGUs' were good, currently working on sections of the mvmt before attacking it properly.
Squats very nearly brought tears to my eyes, the first 2 sets hurt like nothing else then it calms down. Its scar tissue and I need to rip it down so just got to man up and keep going.
Trying to keep 2 WODS of every 3 at heavy and under 10 mins so when it became apparent I wasn't going to complete in that time I just went balls out. Will come back to this and I will conquer it. Slightly melodramatic, but called it Everest.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #34
Mark Williams

Profile:

Will do my food shopping tomorrow evening because its a rest day and take the time to plan my feeds for the next few days - a lack of planning combined with a break in routine from my parents coming last weekend is costing me!

Workout
5 mins walk - 90 sec jog - lvl 11 with 2 mins walk - lvl 4 for 20 mins, finished on 151bpm

5x10 90 degree swiss ball squats

5/2/2 knees to elbows

Row 500m
50 push ups
Row 500m
40 push ups
Row 500m
30 push ups
Row 500m
20 push ups
Row 500m
10 push ups

time - 14.26 PR (-1.14)

Notes
Pace has felt very easy on the treadmill last couple days so upped it to lvl 11 which I noticed. Will keep at 11 this week and next, when I change the ratio of work to walk again, and look to up it to lvl 12 in the following week. Or not.
Swiss ball squats hurt again - the first set is brutal.
KTE - What gets me about these is how quickly you go from it being easy to impossible... intended on a modest 3x5, got an even more modest 5/2/2. Could have done more but only with kipping and thats not really the point.
Very pleased to have beaten last months effort, especially as I've been feeling down on myself for diet this past week. Must row more.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #35
Mark Williams

Profile:

todays workout was done in a slightly hung over state. Coors, Guiness, Cider and Malibu don't mix. Who knew

Workout
5 mins walk - 90 sec jog - lvl 11 with 2 mins walk - lvl 4 for 20 mins, finished on 159bpm

5 x 10 each side 4kg medicine ball lying side twists

play-about with some power cleans and front squats
some 50kg and 60kg triples on power clean, and a tentative stab at front squats with 40kg.

AMRAP in 10 mins
70kg deadlift x 15
Dips x 15

5 rounds, 12 x deadlift

Notes
run was ok but head was hurting. Neither knee hurt at the beginning like they sometimes do.
twists were good, upped the weight to 4kg and will keep there for a while as form was good but another kg and it would've gone.
As always, knee hurt like hell first 2 sets but think it was a bit better than usual. Can't be sure but felt slightly stronger. Could this be progress?
Had a bit of a play before starting the workout, just messing about with the power cleans and front squats, but was very surprised that, despite swiss ball squats hurting like hell, the front squats didn't. Admittedly very little weight used but there's no weight on the swiss ball squat. 60kg power cleans were easy but still not got the snap back in the initial pull. Might start doing some every couple of days to relearn the movement. Need to gradually work on catching a bit lower but still wary of the knee.
Workout itself was pretty hard work. Long term goal of completing 10 rounds.

I'm going to do some reading on the nutrition board and other sites about IF protocols. I read an article in a mag recently about possible hormonal effects of this way of eating so worth a look.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #36
Mark Williams

Profile:

Still reading up on IF - man there's a lot of info out there - but today did a fast from 10pm last night til 2pm today. Working today off the Leangains 16hr fast and 8 hour feed, with a small/moderate pre-workout feed, big *** meal an hour after training, and a small, slow-release protein slanted meal before starting the fast again. This is only because I'm still sifting through the pros and cons of various protocols and so far this one makes most sense and convenient. More reading up tonight methinks.

I did a IF thing a couple of years ago but a version which, I understand, is called IFOC (IF On Crap) and while my energy was great I did not really lose much weight after the first couple of weeks so hoping this with good food choices will work better.

What Went In
1,844kcals
89.6 fat
92.9g carbs
161.4g protein

What came out
5 mins walk - 90 sec jog - lvl 11 with 2 mins walk - lvl 4 for 20 mins, finished on 149bpm

TGU breakdown drills, 5 reps sit-up portion, 5 reps step through and twist portion with 10kg - 3 x each side

10-8-6-4-2
90kg Bench press
60kg Power Clean
time - 8.45

Bear complex practice
between 5 and 8 singles at 40kg

Notes
The run felt really good. HR was down a bit at the end so maybe getting fitter. Just felt good, not sure what else to say.
TGU drills, again felt good, really slowed the mvmts down and made sure I was activating my core.
squats are getting better. Still sore for first set or two but definitely not the tear inducing pain I've been feeling. Knee cap seems to be tracking better too so could this be more progress?
This WOD sucked big hairy balls. Or rather, I did. Metaphorically speaking. There is no way this should have taken more than 5 mins but my faith in my knee wouldn't let me snap. I kept resetting after each rep and thinking the mvmt through. This in itself is fine because I do need to relearn the mvmt and build up again, so the lesson here is don't use power cleans in a timed metcon yet.
After the disappointment of a **** WOD performance, I tried 40kg bear complexes and was amazed I could do it. Its a slightly camp weight but I didn't even know if I could do the squat portions. As it happened, I did full ROM, teabagging the floor, with no complaints from either knee. RESULT. I only did singles so I wouldn't fatigue and could develop the mvmt but will start to build these in more, albeit with light weight.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #37
Mark Williams

Profile:

Good day today - pushed my knee and it held, learnt 2 new exercises and got my arse kicked by a WOD.

Todays template/WOD etc all lifted from Patrick Haskells 3-2-1 (This is gonna suck) GO! blog, link http://haskellthisisgonnasuck.blogspot.com/ (as he says himself its wfs except for the odd f_bomb). I was basically using the search function looking for WODs with the bear complex featured and came across his log and then the link to his blog. Awesome read and some serious work going on there, I recommend you look at it.

What went in
1,880kcals
103.1g fat
71.4g carbs
162.3g protein

What came out
5 mins walk - 90 sec jog - lvl 11 with 2 mins walk - lvl 4 for 20 mins, finished on 154bpm

skill work
some bear complex reps with bar and then 40kg to get warmed up
Clean squats - 40kg, 7x2

strength
Bench press - 60kgx5/80kgx5/95kgx5/100kgx5/105kgx5

metcon
3 rds
500m row
50 squats
25 dumbbell swings - 25kg

time - 24.22

core
get-up sit-ups - 2x5 each side with 6kg
hanging L-raises - 2x5

Notes
-energy levels constant all day and felt strong in the gym.
-very happy with clean squat work. My thinking is that while I am still unable to try big weights in the oly lifts, it would be a great opportunity to focus on relearning it with better form than I used to as the usual ego obstacle is temporarily down. All my cleans were always really power cleans and I never pulled myself under the bar so the intention today was to gradually catch it lower and lower and then, when I'd hit the lowest point for the day I'd do some doubles to burn it into my muscles. Very pleased that almost immediately I was catching them almost in the full front squat position. Held it there and lowered it a couple of inches to the bottom then stood, focus being on not favouring my right leg. Only issue is lack of wrist flexibility so when I get back to real weights it won't be racked correctly but going in that was the least of my worries so very positive.
-did bench because I took my motorbike to the gym and forgot to take dipping belt as its always in the back of my car. No spotter so not a true 5rm and did few BW benches yesterday so it'll do.
-WOD rocked. **** time, took nearly twice as long as Patrick, but knee again held out for full rom squats, rows were all around 1.55 which will do for now. In retrospect, having never done swings before should probably gone lighter but what a friggin movement!
-get-up sit-ups were my second new mvmt of the day. Really liked how these felt. Slightly weedy weight but legs were kept together and form was good. Keep wt for now as had to split last set of right side down 2/3.

Rest day tomorrow, and I'm taking it. Only change to diet will be shaving a couple hundred cals off in the form of carbs.

Will post template tomorrow, both for diet and training... after some more reading this evening, I daresay Mr Haskell will have a strong influence.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #38
Mark Williams

Profile:

Weighed in on Monday at 192.5lbs, so another 1.5lbs down despite a fairly shoddy ten days of diet. I can almost taste 190...

14/9/09
What Went In
1,557kcals
74.6g fat
60.9g carbs
165.7g protein

What came out
Treadmill work
5 mins lvl 4
90 seconds lvl 11
90 seconds lvl 4
3 mins lvl 11
3 mins lvl 4
90 seconds lvl 11
90 seconds lvl 4
3 mins lvl 11
3 mins lvl 4
HR straight after run - 182
1 min walk - 161
2 min walk - 136
3 min walk - 127

Skill Work
bear complex, 3x2, 40kg
split jerk, lots of doubles, 20kg bar

Heavy Work
Deadlift - 1x5, 60kg
1x5, 80kg
1x5, 90kg
1x5, 100kg
1x5, 110kg PR by default cos can't remember my 5rm

Met con
AMRAP 10 mins
chins x 5
dips x 10
7 rds, chins, 3 dips

Core
5x3 hanging knees to elbows

Notes
-Not the 1800kcals I was aiming for but protein at about the lvl I'm after, fat and carbs shared the hit.
-bc's trying to use as a mobility exercise, form checker and get me ready for oly style skill work. Plus, good for my knee.
-enjoyed the jerk, unfortunately going to be a loooonng time before I can afford to get to an affiliate for a proper oly coaching session so having to go off the resources here and books.
-deadlift was fun. Its the only powerlift I care about right now, what with heavy squats being a bit beyond me at the moment and my primary goal being met-con work and fat loss so, for now, I'll only do a structured program for the deadlift.
-metcon was good hard work but gutted with the chins. Dips were all unbroken, explosive and deep. Chins unbroken for first 2 sets then doubles and singles all the way.
-knees to elbows was an improvement on last week. Try 5x4 next.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #39
Mark Williams

Profile:

Today

What Went In
1,793kcals
77.5g fat
79.2g carbs
195.3g protein

What Came Out
Treadmill work
5 mins lvl 4
90 seconds lvl 11
90 seconds lvl 4
3 mins lvl 11
3 mins lvl 4
90 seconds lvl 11
90 seconds lvl 4
3 mins lvl 12
3 mins lvl 4
HR straight after run - 187
1 min walk - 161
2 min walk - 136
3 min walk - 130

Skills
bear complex, 2x3, 40kg
clean squats, 1x3, 40kg, 2x3, 50kg

Met-Con
'Helen'
3 rds
400m run
21 x 25kg dbell swings
12 pull-ups
time - 18.04

Core
getup-situps, 3x5 each side with 8kg

Notes
-diet was ok. Felt a bit bloaty today before eating which was weird.
-treadmill was good hard work. I have Eminem and 'Lose Yourself' to thank for upping the level to 12 for the last 3 min run when I was already breathing out of my arse.
-continuing to stick bear complexes in, only 2x3 today because wanted to do clean squats.
-caught cleans nice and low, weight is pretty low but fighting urge to increase it because, while my knee is only whingeing by getting stiff in the nights, I don't want to push it and I really want to get the form dialled in for future WODs.
-First time at Helen and really enjoyed it but gutted when I saw other people posting their sub 10 min times, and even guys doing 13.00 and calling themselves 'pathetic'. Still, I ****ed myself up and so long as I keep doing that I'll get there.
-getup-situps are cool.

Had a weird mindset when I got in from work today. I know I've dropped 17.lbs since surgery, and stuck some visible muscle on all over, but I got down about how much further I have to go. What normally happens when I go there, is that I order a pizza, drink coke and hit a new diet the next day. This time, I bullied myself into going to the gym to fix it and then tried to inflict some real hurt on myself when I was there. I was training angry and that got me through a pretty demanding session. Hopefully, beating on myself at the gym is my new way of picking myself up.

Last edited by Mark Williams : 04-15-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: cocked up diet breakdown
Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #40
Mark Williams

Profile:

unscheduled day off today... knee a bit stiff from the last couple of days and just a general feeling of systemic fatigue. Nothing major but get the feeling taking today off in lieu of tomorrow will leave me raring to go. Heart is willing, body able but mind looking out for both.

What Went In
1,550kcals
75.8g fat
58.5g carbs
156.0g protein

What Came Out
AMRAP 5 Hours
Gears of War 2 on the trusty X-Box,
Catch up on some light reading

Got under 48 hours to go before I weight and see if the IF has had an effect... not sure if I should be expecting anything after 1 week but effort levels have been high so hoping for some reward.