CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #541
Paul Wiseman

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

rachel,
before you rush and have an operation do a bit of research i think that some surgeons prefer not to use donor materials because i understand the failure rate can be higher. i cant confirm this is correct but i seem to remember my current surgeon saying this.
i have had both a patella and hamstring grafts, the hamstring was miles faster to recover from that the patella.
i am 7 weeks post hamstring and not exactly running around but in no pain and able to walk up and down stairs ok . 5 months post patella i still had discomfort infact it is 9 months since i had my pattela graft that failed but the donor site is still very uncomfortable. my hamstring 7 weeks on is fine, more or less. good luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #542
Heather Armstrong

Profile:

You might find this interesting and informative:

http://www.gcortho.com/Patient_Educa...CL%202006.html

all WFS. This is part of the patient education series that my surgeon has on his practice's website.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #543
Eileen Gillespie

Profile:

Paul:

Haven't checked in here in a while and am VERY pleased to see you are doing so well.

You are ONE inspiring character.

Good luck with continued recovery.

~E
Old 04-11-2009, 02:15 AM   #544
Mark Williams

Profile:

I had mine done in December - patella graft - and have had a slow recovery - the graft itself is fine and MRI's taken at 6 week intervals show thickening and capillarisation etc, but my knee cap hasn't been tracking correctly. The donor site still hurts a bit and its stiff as hell if I sit too long, but I can usually walk this off. The tracking issue I'm hoping is just a case of scar tissue and atrophy of the surrounding muscles and I think its starting to improve.

There's a proceduce called contralateral donation whereby the graft is taken from the opposite leg to the damaged one... this way you can begin rehabbing the donor site aggressively almost immediately, without having to wait for the graft to bed in. This is what a lot of sportsmen/women are having done which allows for half the recovery time.

Good luck and keep swinging to all those who have had/are having this done - its a WOD for mental strength
Old 04-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #545
Jill Dugas

Profile:
Unhappy Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

I had ACL REcon with Allograph on Tuesday 4/7...My anxiety level is through the roof...How fragile are these? I've been using a CMP machine daily. After the nerveblock wore off I was expecting some real pain. The CPM machine can bend my knee without pain. HOw and when do you find out if your graph fails?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #546
Rebecca Boon

Profile:

Hey Jill ~
I did not have too much pain after my nerve block wore off either. My PT told me that the graft is very strong right now (just after surgery). It will be weakest around 3-4 months when it is really becoming incorporated as part of your knee. So don't worry about it but don't push it. Just take it easy. I think if your graft fails it will be really painful, because I had a friend whose graft failed 3 years out and he knew it because his knee gave him a lot of pain.

The real pain comes during physical therapy. Ow! Ow! Ow! When my PT bends my knee it is like having extreme constipation in the knee.. Also, I was initially able to bend my knee above 100 degrees the first week of PT. Then my swelling increased and set me back into the 80s. So.. if you're like me, you probably will have good days and bad days.. oh.. one more thing.. my first week after the operation I had this weird 'phantom leg' sensation where it'd feel as if my leg was leaning in one direction when it was really "upright" on my pillows..

Last edited by Rebecca Boon : 04-11-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #547
Paul Wiseman

Profile:

hi jill,
dont worry about failure of the graft, just do as the pt's tell you and i am sure it will be fine, the failure rate is a very small percentage and very often caused because of poor placement during the operation. returning to contact sports prior to the 9 month point is also a contributary factor.
take it from me you will know if you have a problem. my recent hamstring graft felt great almost straight away as yours does and still feels really good after 7 weeks. if you can get good flex and straightening after say 2 to 3 weeks dont worry at all. i am sure your pt will tell you the same.
keep up the exercises and dont overdo it!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #548
Jill Dugas

Profile:

Hey Paul and Rebecca,

Thanks for you words of wisdom.

My initial panic has now passed...but this is really hard. I mean going from active to couch potato tied to this CPM. I start PT Tuesday and hope this will make me feel better. I've had meniscus tears repaired before but this is a whole new world.

Thanks again for your encouraging words.

Jill
Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #549
Mike Dickson

Profile:

Hello - New Here,

Had ACL recon with Allograph and ACL augmentation on 3/25.
Skiing injury (hit a buried tree in deep pow) 2/4.
Found this site while looking to see how/what others are doing in recovery.
Started PT at 10 Days (2x week) and still on crutches and full leg brace, started driving last week. At 2 weeks post op, ROM -3 to 105. seem to be doing well with not much pain, but PT is usualy just an hour of light stretching and massage, guess I'll be hitting it hard later. I do miss running and a good workout but my surgeon wants me to stay off the leg, only partial weight, until over three weeks and rest and take it easy on everything else for at least a month. Seems like what I am hearing from others is all over the map on what they are doing the first 6 weeks, I guess this is due to age, and type of surgery, and previous health.
Nice to read others experience, while I am so done with the crutches and brace now that walking is just a couple of days away guess I do have some trepidations about something going wrong, My leg does feel strong just trying to feel out where the line is between building strength and injury is.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #550
Marsha Arias

Profile:

Hi all, has been a while since checked in. I had my surg 1/29 and am now 11 weeks post. Started PT day after surgery and boy did it pay off. I walk with almost no limp, am doing hour of treadmill (backwards and forward 20 mins each) and bike daily. Also do about 40 mins of various other things to work on my hammy. I still feel some stiffness when in same position for too long, can't wear heels or dance...lol. Have numbness on inside, bottom of leg but overall feel great!! I am not doing things that I am not instructed to do and am at the critical point. Looking back...was very painful (see past logs) but I continue to work hard to be "normal" or better then. Only words of wisdom I have is.....don't overdo it!!!! It takes time and lots of PT and determination. Looking forward to being able to go in pool and swim in about another month or so.