CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Crossfit College Students

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude M Crowe View Post
Quick question if you don't mind, how is a high level of fitness paramount to Computer Science? Sounds like an interesting story.
Well, it's not. But I'm not interested in a career in the CS field, I am hoping to begin a career in military SOF.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

OIC. Thanks for clearing that up. Good luck with that.

I did Crossfit today, but I have to confess that I didn't study.
Bad Claude, Bad! I'll do better in the future. I'll have to, physics homework tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #13
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude M Crowe View Post
I'll have to, physics homework tomorrow.
You can always do physics homework 'tomorrow'!!

I graduated in Dec. 2007, so my college days are not far behind me at all. It is a tough balance, but like the others have said, it comes down to priorities and time management. There are plenty hours to do all we need, but the problems come when we waste way too much time on the internet or staying over at friends houses until 2 or 3 in the morning.

College is one of the most fun times, don't stress yourself too much.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate Rivera View Post
You can always do physics homework 'tomorrow'!!

I graduated in Dec. 2007, so my college days are not far behind me at all. It is a tough balance, but like the others have said, it comes down to priorities and time management. There are plenty hours to do all we need, but the problems come when we waste way too much time on the internet or staying over at friends houses until 2 or 3 in the morning.

College is one of the most fun times, don't stress yourself too much.
What stinks is that all my homework is online so I can't really work ahead. I do spend a lot of time online on the crossfit forum, too! Don't worry tho, I defintely spend more time doing than reading.

I have homework tonight so I will try to get the WOD done early.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

I didn't do my physics homework the day it was assigned like I should have. So I did my workout after work then I had to spend the rest of my time until bed doing freaking homework.

Procrastination sucks.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Brendan Walsh

Profile:

i'm doing engineering in UCC in Ireland, doing Gant Grime's hybrid program four days a week and playing hurling and gaelic football on other days. Was trying to do this all while drinking most nights of the week. Uni is the hardest place in the world to have a quiet night in but since christmas i've stopped drinking as i wasn't able to fit in study, crossfit, charity work , meeting friends all in the one day. It's totally paid off though as i've seen huge improvements in the gym. I've had PR's in my clean, deadlift, OHS ,BS and FS in the last week.

The only problem i really have is diet. I cook for 3 other house mates on one night and they cook for me the other 3. It gives me more time and i get a substantial dinner but it sometimes are far too heavy on the sauce. Out of curiosity is anyone zoning in college at the moment and how do they manage it in student accomodation?

Also anyone else have trouble finding crossfit buddies in their college?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #17
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Walsh View Post

The only problem i really have is diet. I cook for 3 other house mates on one night and they cook for me the other 3. It gives me more time and i get a substantial dinner but it sometimes are far too heavy on the sauce. Out of curiosity is anyone zoning in college at the moment and how do they manage it in student accomodation?

Also anyone else have trouble finding crossfit buddies in their college?
Well, I'm doing a semi-zone/paleo diet, but I don't live on a campus, so that makes it quite a bit easier for me. Crossfit is for a smaller group of people to begin with, but add the stress of college life to it and I'm sure that number shrinks even further.

My friend who I work out with is in a Mass Comm degree right now taking 17 hours and he still finds the time to workout with me. It just comes down to priorities.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Guys- this is a great thread, but if you think you're busy now, wait 5-10 years. The good habits you develop now will be way more useful AFTER college when you start to manage work, family, and life in general. I'm 37, work 12 hour days, have 3 kids in sports, try to CF, and everything else. Spend this time well, build good habits and be CF for Life!

Pizza, beer and wings on me takes about 2 years to Fran off my gut which I spent college developing!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
Guys- this is a great thread, but if you think you're busy now, wait 5-10 years. The good habits you develop now will be way more useful AFTER college when you start to manage work, family, and life in general. I'm 37, work 12 hour days, have 3 kids in sports, try to CF, and everything else. Spend this time well, build good habits and be CF for Life!

Pizza, beer and wings on me takes about 2 years to Fran off my gut which I spent college developing!
Thanks for the support! I don't have kids, but I am married and trying to balance work, school, paying a mortgage, and having time to spend with friends and family.

It would be all to easy to say that I don't have time to work out and go and hang out with my family, but I know that if I don't, my time with them will be shortened considerably by health problems I could have avoided. Quality years on my life are worth more than and extra 30 minutes to goof off.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #20
Aaron Trent

Profile:

I'm a senior econ major at USC and put in 10-17 hours of training a week depending on competition and exam schedules. My sport is bicycle racing, for reference. I also work part time at an internship. A moderately clean diet is just a part of it. But I pretty much have no life. It's ok, though, because I love racing and training and will pursue it after school.