CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #11
Ben Chapman

Profile:
Re: What did you Used to Hate When Out of Shape?

Getting winded doing an Air Force PT session. I was detrained to the point where these actually taxed me badly. I hated that.

I also just hated looking in the mirror, or trying to find clothes.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #12
Aaron Trent

Profile:

There has only been one time in my life that I was out of shape. I remember sophomore year of college and running up a long set of stairs at school that gained some 40 vertical feet. One day I couldn't run up the whole way. Things changed that day.

I also used to be a lot weaker, I hated picking up heavy things.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
Dylan Miley

Profile:

I honestly was never "out of shape". I was a healthy kid, always played sports and placed first on most of the events on "field day", then started training and eating right at 13.

I feel left out
Old 12-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Miley View Post
I honestly was never "out of shape". I was a healthy kid, always played sports and placed first on most of the events on "field day", then started training and eating right at 13.

I feel left out
You outsider you! (((Hugs))) You were the one who won all the ribbons on field day...ah-ha!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Traster View Post
OK, today I was working in my garden and I suddenly remembered that I used to leave the hose (on one of those cranky rolly things) out for my husband to re-roll (like three hoses together) because it was "just too hard" for me to roll it back up. Today, I laughed after putting the hose away. What a great feeling. Ah...it's the little things.
Speaking of hoses . .

I used to work for Hertz equipment (while going to school) and in addition to cleaning mud encrusted dozers, we'd have to clean 50 foot lengths of 4" firehose after it had been used to pump muck out of some swamp or swimming pool. We had to unroll the hoses on the ground, wash them, then squat on our haunches in order to re-roll them, walking like a duck as we rolled them up. Each hose weighed 30 lbs or so. Great forearm workout.

So yeah, I really hated hoses too.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

When I was in my teens I would only want to play basketball if it was a 3on3 or something like that, using juse one side of the court. On a 5on5, after two times of "running" from one side to another, I would be wasted, done, dead.

I hated looking myself in the mirror. I hated buying pants, since I could never find the ones I liked in my size. Not every model was available in 42". It is so much easier at 34".

I hated not being able to do a pull-up, and not being able to jog, even slowly, for more than maybe 5 minutes.

I hated how the few times that blood was needed (for tests or whatever), it was so unbelievably hard to find my veins, sometimes needing 3 or 4 piercings before the nurse said "lets try your other arm"... crap! I love how some veins are constantly visible in my arms now

I was once drinking with some friends, and saw one who, while sitting on those plastic chairs, was able to raise one leg and place it over the arm-rest part of it. I thought to myself, "my goodness! he fits in there like that! and my wide butt almost holds onto the chair if I stand-up without pushing it down!"... I could do that now, although I don't find it to be a comfortable possition.

I used to envy each and everyone who was not fat.

The fattest I got was to 260 at one point. I hated it. I am (excuse me if I sound cocky) very smart, have always known that.. they'd give tests to us at school sometimes, and the school psychologist would call me and tell me I score the highest (out of 130 other kids). I never even needed to study much to pass my classes, I became an Industrial Engineering studying less than everyone I knew, by a lot. Maybe a few minutes before exams I'd look at stuff or ask someone who had been studying for days to explain a bit.. and I'd take the exams, sometimes having to somehow "learn" during the exam. Ok I'm sounding very arrogant now... maybe I got lucky, both my parents are very smart, they graduated from chemical engineering in the 60's in a very tough university, so who knows. Point is, although I've always felt smarter than most people around me (eveyrone, to be honest, but I dont wanna say it out loud), I grew up always thinking to myself how I would gladly trade several IQ points for a decent body. My goodness... I wish I could go back and don't be one of the overweigt kids in highschool. I mean, I am now 25, married to a beautiful (and 103 pound, lol) wife, with a beautiful son, and have been under 180 pounds since mid 2006, thanks to proper eating and exercise, not thanks to technology or medical intervention... but I sometimes remember how much I envied my skinny friends. I'm think this kindof frustrated me, and if I ever see a son of mine getting fat at a young age, I'll do the impossible to change that. It's another thing when you're an adult, but growing up, it is quite possible the worst thing to be. Kills your confidence with the opposite sex too.

I typed too much. Sorry.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #17
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Oh, I could go on and on about how much I hated being the fat kid. I remember seeing my first stretch marks when I was 12. I was always last picked in PE. I always got the lowest scores on every fitness test. I struggled with the fitness evaluation in college (I went to a service academy).

Life is harder when you're out of shape and have the wrong body composition.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #18
Michael Ricketts

Profile:

I realized it was time for a change not after I failed the Navy PRT, no that I blamed (at the time) on others or "unfair measurements" but one day I realized it hurt to tie my boots because my damn gut was in the way. That was 75lbs ago and I dont miss it a bit! (Plus my carrer is no longer in jeopardy.)
Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 AM   #19
Chris Allison

Profile:

I hate being fat. I'm still decently strong and I can go run 2.5 miles but I hate being fat. I hate looking in the mirror and seeing what I look like. I also hate not being able to wear some of my favorite t shirts because now they are too tight. It's time to change.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
James Compora

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allison View Post
I hate being fat. I'm still decently strong and I can go run 2.5 miles but I hate being fat. I hate looking in the mirror and seeing what I look like. I also hate not being able to wear some of my favorite t shirts because now they are too tight. It's time to change.
i feel ya...same boat