CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:46 AM   #11
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I fulfill all the level II stuff, except the things that requires rings and ropes, the 20 pull ups and the 45 thrusters at 1/2 bw (this one is a real mean one!!! and I'm very far away from it.)

I'm very close to some of the level III goals:

Level III 400 meter run: 1:19
My current record: 1:22

Level III clean: 1 x bw
My current: 1 x 90%bw

Level III 500 meter row: 1:32
My current: 1:34

Level III L-sit: 1 minute
My current: 50 sec.

Level III militarypress: 1 x 3/4 bw
My current: 1 x approx 67% bw

Some of the level III stuff I'm very far away from, for instance:

Handstand push ups: 10
My PR: 0 and not close to 1

Pull ups: 40
My PR: 16

And I think I'm going to have a reeeaaal hard time reaching the 10 min. kb snatch test: 200 reps with 24 kg!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:03 AM   #12
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I'm doing pretty good at some of the Level III standards, the hangups are skills that I have basically NEVER worked on, namely kettlebells, which I have touched briefly, once. Also, the 6k row is a pain...I'm about 2:30 off of the level III goal of 21:40, which is just a matter of practice...I hope. I have yet to try 40 ring push-ups, though I would guess they will kill me. 500m row time is 1:37, so I have a few seconds to shave there, and I have yet to put myself through a mile with a sandbag of ANY weight! I'm looking forward to accomplishing more of these over time. My basic training plan is to keep on like I have, though occasionally incorporating some specific skills work for each lagging standard (i.e., more rowing, thrown in on rest days or earlier on a workout day). As for Level IV, I can imagine accomplishing some of that eventually, and perhaps when I can workout full-time I can see it being possible. I'm looking forward to giving it my best shot, though!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 AM   #13
Jerry Hill

Profile:
A great list!

Have done but never in the same month:

Elite
2x bodyweight squat
1.5x bodyweight bench
20 ft. rope climb; 2 trips; no feet
15 repetitions overhead squat at 1x bodyweight
2.5x bodyweight deadlift
1x bodyweight military press

Advanced
400 METER RUN 1:19 minutes
HANDSTAND PUSH UP 10 handstand push ups
CLEAN 1 x bodyweight clean
HANGING STRAIGHT LEG RAISE x 20
SANDBAG CARRY 1 mile sandbag carry with 1/2 x bodyweight
800 METER RUN 2:50 minutes
VERTICAL JUMP 25 inches
DIP with 3/4 x bodyweight
PULL UPS 40 pull ups
MUSCLE UP - 10
SNATCH 1 x bodyweight snatch
CHELSEA
1 MILE RUN 6 minutes

Old 08-31-2006, 08:09 AM   #14
Steven Low

Profile:
From 1 year of serious gymnastics conditioning, I can do most of the stuff in the advanced category (that I've actually tried) like pistols, hanging leg raises, vertical, dips (strength and endurance), HSPUs, etc. Never tried maxing pushups on rings or pullups though since that wasn't really needed for anything.

Only ones elite I have are 15 muscle ups, rope climb 2x, 10 full range HSPUs, and the 30 inch vertical... Most of the rest I haven't done much at all to get a grasp on my abilities on them such as bench (only done once in my life), squats (never done), KBs (done once), rowing (did once), etc. That sandbag carry looks pretty deadly, and I don't have my front lever down yet. :-(

Jesse: I'm pretty much in the same boat as you in that we haven't had direct work with some of the stuff except you've done more of the specific skills and such like oly lifting and rowing.

(Message edited by braindx on August 31, 2006)
Old 09-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #15
Kent Lamm

Profile:
It seems to me like the 400m run times are too slow for all the levels. I would think the elite time would be sub-60 seconds. I ran a 62 second 400 but I'm MILES away from everything else in the elite level so I'm wondering if other people agree or if it's just me.:g:
Old 09-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I guess that's the basic point...if you brought up the rest of your skills, would you still be able to run a 60sec 400? If so, wouldn't you be a beast? People that can run faster or lift more or row better are a dime a dozen, but somebody who can reach a relatively high level in all of it simultaneously is the ideal.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #17
Kevin Scott

Profile:
Quick question on the standards. Are the handstand pushups free standing or with a wall for balance? Are L sits on parallettes or the ground? I just want to make sure that when I say I can do a standard on the list that I'm doing it correct lol.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:08 AM   #18
William Winger

Profile:
I believe handstands are meant to be free standing, that's why the minute stand comes before the pushup.

And I think Lsits are meant to be on paralettes.

However, others may chime in, and they aren't my set of standards...
Old 09-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #19
William Winger

Profile:
Hey guys, just found this tool on CrossFit Toronto's website:

http://skillstest.crossfitto.com/

It seems like they should split up the double requirements in order to make it more accurate.
For example, I know I can do a dip with 3/4 bodyweight, but I don't have rings, so I've never tried 30 on rings, if those were two separate entries and scored separately one would get a more accurate picture of my (or one's) fitness.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:15 AM   #20
Maximus Lewin

Profile:
Hi Jim,

I have been messing with CrossFit for a few years: I have really been hitting it hard for about 5 months, and am attending a cert soon.

Male, 39 yo, 187 lbs 19% bodyfat

I can do all of the level Is & IIs, except I can only do 17 pull-ups (up from 3 five months ago). I have not done a muscle-up either, but I am pretty sure I could do one given the right set-up.

From the IIIs I can do:
1.5 bodyweight squat
1.25 bodyweight bench press
Rope climb no feet
30 dips
1 minute l-ish sit
500 meter row in 1:31
10 non full-rom hspus

I can probably do a six-minute mile too, I did 1.5 miles at 5:45 pace last year, but I have not tested it. I could probably get a double bodyweight deadlift too. I'm very close on a few of the others.

Of the IVs I can do zero, but I am starting to imagine being able to do a few of them.

Let's meet back here in a year and see where we are.