CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Rodney Mark

Profile:

I had not tried these in quite awhile and even then was doing them assisted. today tried again and knocked out four straight on my left leg and two+ on the right. All were butt to the floor too. The only thing I can think of that got me there is all the kicking I have been doing lately.
Now I just need to continue till I can get 10 straight on each leg.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Jason Ruggieri

Profile:
Nice work Rodney! I only stumbled upon crossfit about a month ago, and haven't consistently performed the WODs yet. I would like to, but I need to adjust my schedule.

Anyway, just this morning I decided to close the door of my office and try some pistols. I was surpised that I could do unassisted pistols with my right leg fairly well. I had to descend slowly to gain my balance but once locked in I was ok. So with trepidation I decided to switch to the left leg. I was SCHOCKED at what happened. On the decent I had the feeling of uneasyness and knew I didn't have the strength to control the move, I got low enough and then whammo... My butt hits the floor, and my hands go back to stop me.

What the ?!?!?

I was surprised that my left leg was so much weaker than my right.

I composed myself, did some more on my right leg to try and repeat the form and feel with the left. I had to REALLY concentrate to squat myself back up with me left leg, and I found that my bodyweight had shifted drastically onto my toes to do so.

I managed 3 on my left, but was able to do 8 on the right. THe disparity is eye-opening. I could have done more on the right if I really worked at it, but I was starting to feel strain in my left quad (the outstretched leg) oddly enough. Of course I didn't warmup or stretch at all, just spun the chair out of the way and tried them.

I know I'm going to be adding pistols to my daily "grease the groove" training along with pullups.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
For some reason, these were easier on a beam than the floor. Strange. I think it was the whole, don't fall off the beam from 3 and a half feet. Perhaps the beam helps stabilization.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Richard Boureston

Profile:

Blair,

Did you keep your outstretched foot as high on the beam as you do when you are on the floor?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Horizontal or bust, just slightly off the center of the beam. I remember in Kung Fu we used to do a pistol, but it was called something else with a flexed foot.

Actually my forward roll step outs on one leg are lower in regards to foot height in comparison to pistols.