CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #271
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Excuse my ignorance, but who is OPT?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #272
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I'm no expert, but all these sprints with really heavy and explosive movements over and over -- often to failure or max unbroken -- has got to be pretty taxing, esp. on the connective tissues, even with all the rest due to switching people. I'd have to have pretty stellar warm-ups and cool downs to not get thrashed and possibly injured, but then again I'm no Annie T .
Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #273
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
James Fitzgerald. Pheonix's coach and athlete.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #274
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
I'm no expert, but all these sprints with really heavy and explosive movements over and over -- often to failure or max unbroken -- has got to be pretty taxing, esp. on the connective tissues, even with all the rest due to switching people. I'd have to have pretty stellar warm-ups and cool downs to not get thrashed and possibly injured, but then again I'm no Annie T .
which is exactly why i said that i think that we will see a LOT of injuries in this league. its just too heavy, too fast and too much.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #275
Adam Manery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
He won the 2007 CrossFit Games and is the owner of Optimum Performance Training (OPT) http://optexperience.com/ WFS

On another note, I am kind of surprised at how few people are in the stadium. I feel like there are just family and friends watching, and maybe a gym or two. I figured that most local gyms at least would buy a ticket and go watch.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #276
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Depends what tickets are going for and how well the PR machine is working.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 08-24-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #277
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Depends what tickets are going for and how well the PR machine is working?
I don't know how much tickets go for but as far as PR, I think they did quite a bit. The reality is that there are just not that that many people that will get into this sort of thing. Like I said, I am an avid croasfitter and I normally watch every single event, video of interview that I can ( I was glued to my screen the entire weekend of the games and didn't miss a single regional) and even I can barely sit through a match. I think that they have the same problems that the games have with the teams, its just not that interesting unless you are vested in it, it just doesn't have the same drama that the individual have for some reason.

On a side note, what happens if it doesn't pick up and the rest of the season looks like it ? I am sure that they are losing a lot of money at the moment with vanues being empty so I am not sure how much reserve they have and if they can go another season.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #278
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ohh, yep I didn't like the NPGL page.

Well they do have that tv contract. That's gotta be some nice cash.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #279
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

My friend just told me tickets were $25. Not too bad.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #280
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I was watching the first event replay last night and I hate to say it but I don't see this going anywhere as is. I realized basically you gotta care about the athletes and their stories, regardless of their amazing abilities. I can watch Annie T. move all day 1) because she's so good, but moreover b/c I have become invested in her story over the years. These teams are problematic b/c they don't really have a story, they're just an assembly of super athletes with no history or narrative other than that thing that they can't even talk about. Also these workouts, as structured as they are, are mostly still quite complicated (challenge flags, really? with judges, coaches and the dang CEO round-tabling it, really?), hard to follow, and no individual athlete that I care about really gets to shine.

I don't know the answer, I think they really painted themselves into a corner with the rigid Grid structure and the team format. The one thing they got going for them is that they're the first to market, and they can literally just change it completely without too much trouble and no one would be mad for very long. Most of us are just rooting for something to be successful enough that can make it possible for these athletes to make a living doing what they love. I would have been much more interested in a bigger organization that created a network of really well managed local individual competitions throughout the year, without the big name CF athletes, maybe with their own qualifier system as well to eventually compete against the pros (hmm sounds familiar tho). It's not that complicated, the model is built for them. You just do what all the local gyms are doing putting together their own throwdowns, but do it much better.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be actually "competitive." The market for rookie/novice CF competitions is barely tapped, and look at how successful all the marathon and triathlon orgs are in welcoming those types of non-competitive athletes. Sell gear, food trucks, beer, put it on a live stream, get some sponsors for the bigger ones, give the participants a novelty gift that says "you did it!". Win. Maybe that would have only drawn a niche market as well, but at least a pretty established one you can build on. Perhaps it's just the perils of trying to monetize something on such a short timeline. Oh well we're going to see the one at Cal on Thursday .