CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #21
Richard Boureston

Profile:

I think working through soreness generally is asking for an injury. I have rarely been sore over the past 3 months doing crossfit and yet have been improving steadily and can now for the most part do the WODs as rx'd with a semi-respectable time.

But I have been training for most of my life, off and on (actually more off than on), and while there is a lot of poo-pooing the discipline of endurance sports around here they certainly teach you how to know what your body is saying to you.

Bottom line, listen to your body, and probably most importantly your mind. If you have been amp'd about doing the workouts and then suddenly start thinking, "alright but I don't think I'll push it as hard today" or "boy I just don't feel motivated to workout" then that is really your body telling you to rest. Listen to it.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:09 AM   #22
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
Obviously you are not going to get the same kind of results as normal if you work a muscle group that is sore. I suppose the key is to focus on an exercise that works the less sore groups...if all else fails do an alternate WOD to avoid overwork. I don't think you will benefit as much by working a tired group, it will just make the recovery period even longer.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #23
Erica Bergstrom

Profile:
I do what I've read are called recovery workouts.

Basically, getting out and moving those sore muscles is good, but in a low intensity way for at least 20 minutes. Go for an easy walk with the dog, kids, or a friend. Do something fun and easy that gets your heart beating. I find I loosen up and feel better if I keep moving and don't just sit.

Of course, there are those days where my quads are so sore and swollen I can hardly get down the stairs - Then I just take the day off from anything physical if I can.

(Message edited by erica_bergstrom on October 12, 2006)
Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #24
Colin McNulty

Profile:
I'm probably the least qualified person here to comment, but I do have very recent experience: I started CrossFit 2 weeks ago, and am still just trying to manage to do the CF Warm Up!

On day 2 I was as sore as h3ll after just 1 work out. It lasted for 3 days before I felt able to do "day 2", I continued to be sore for the rest of week 1. Then a crossfit friend suggested cold baths to get read of DOMS (Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness), and I can tell you it works completely. I'm already doing 50% more of the warm up than I was on day 1, and I've had no soreness for a week now.

I'm still not used to getting into a cold bath yet, so start off by getting into a shallow luke warm one, and then fill the rest with cold water as I continue to sponge myself down. This leads to a moderately cold bath, but without the shock of getting in! It seems to work.