CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-03-2007, 02:37 AM   #1
Ross Naughton

Profile:
Hi CrossFit,

I've got tendonitis in my right elbow and right knee, owing to some overzealous lifting (HSPUs beyond failure; deadlifting more than I should have) and climbing. I'm wondering what I might do to promote recovery while remaining active -- I'm not sure what will strengthen and soothe these joints. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks!

---Ross Naughton
Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Jason Steele

Profile:
Ross, if you look through the old posts on this thread there are a lot of good tips about both injuries. I have tendonitis in my right elbow too. I had been using rings for primary pullups and switched to a bar and poof, it started to get better.

I assume you are icing, which helps a lot.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Joint Mobility exercises by Pavel Tsastouline (sp may be off on his last name). The tendonitis in my knees was so bad I almost couldn't walk without crutches, started the JM's and now am doing fine.

Ditto the "check the board."
Old 03-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Bill Kang

Profile:
I started having pain on the interior portion of my right elbow especially during pullups. Any similar experiences?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Don King

Profile:
Bill,

All I have to say is STOP doing pullups. When I started CF about 9 months ago, I went straight into doing large quantities of pullups after not doing any pullups in the previous 4 years. I started to feel the same pain you described on the inside of my elbows. I made the decision to work through the pain...big mistake.

What you are starting to feel is called golfers elbow or Medial Epicondylitis. The ONLY thing that will heal your tendon(s) is to stop doing the exercise that caused the injury. I have done maybe twenty pullups total in the last nine months trying to heal my elbows. Not only have I had to modify my CF workouts around not doing pullups, but once the injury occured, many other elbow intensive exercises like deadlifts and snatches seemed to prolong the injury.

Stop doing pullups until your elbow feels better so you don't make the same mistake I did.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I've been doing a lot of pullups to build up to one-arm comedowns (to build up to one-arm chins). It has been said that elbow tendonitis is a normal part of this and the best Rx is rest. The other best thing to do in the future is rest AS SOON AS you feel this issue flaring up at all. Aggravating the issue further will exponentially increase the healing time.

I do that part--I also find that the tendonitis disappears with one single cold laser treatment from the BioFlex laser. I've done this twice now, so I feel pretty confident in my recommendation. If you are interested in seeing if there is anyone in your area who has one, go to www.meditech-bioflex.com (w/f safe).

Oh yeah, no nightshades.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Bill,

skip pull-ups, deads, and any kind of biceps work.

For me, lots (2xper day 3sets of 10) of eccentric rehabilitation exercises including wrist flexion and wrist pronation.

I'm also not a fan of ibuprofen and other NSAIDs because I think that some of the inflammatory response is needed for healing.

Ice and heat in alternating patterns is also good.

Seriously, you should rest and do at least 3-4 weeks of the exercises described above. To elaborate what I mean by eccentric only: muscles are always strong when they are lengthening (the negative portion of their movement) by training the eccentric (negative) portion of wrist pronation and wrist flexion you allow the tendon at the medial epicondyl the stimulus it needs to re-organize itself and deposit collagen. Please let me know if you have any questions. I also posted another description a few months back on the board. you could search for my name in Injuries/medical.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"-itis" is inflammation pure and simple...so give it time off...and treat the real source inside the body...aka take your omega 3s and cut out sugar.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
Bill Kang

Profile:
Thanks for the advice. I have been stubborn about injuries in the past and it usually proloned the injury. It's really a drag. I started Crossfit at the turn of the year and really enjoy it.