CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Andrew Wiemken

Profile:
Re: Significance of 21-15-9

The way I interpret it, 21-15-9 is kind of what you would expect with multiple sets to near-failure and fairly equal rest times. Like if you went and did rep-out sets of dips right now, rested a minute, went back, and repeated this until failure, your rep ratios for the first three sets would probably be similar to 21-15-9. So it's just a logical number of reps per set to establish, in order to then impose the 'for time' parameter.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
John C Blattner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
or 90 feet... but who is counting.
Oh yeah...it's the mound that's 60-feet-six-inches from home. My bad.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiemken View Post
The way I interpret it, 21-15-9 is kind of what you would expect with multiple sets to near-failure and fairly equal rest times. Like if you went and did rep-out sets of dips right now, rested a minute, went back, and repeated this until failure, your rep ratios for the first three sets would probably be similar to 21-15-9. So it's just a logical number of reps per set to establish, in order to then impose the 'for time' parameter.
Not that I really care that much, but it would be interesting to see how 21-15-9 is more logical than, say, 20-15-10. If someone were to ask me which is more logical, I would say the latter.

- Mark
Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Not that I really care that much, but it would be interesting to see how 21-15-9 is more logical than, say, 20-15-10. If someone were to ask me which is more logical, I would say the latter.

- Mark
agreed. It is an odd rep scheme. I do however thing that extra rep in the beginning is going to make it much easier to get through the 9 at the end instead of starting at 20 and ending with 10.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Aaron Brewer

Profile:

similar to above post...it allows you to split each movement into 3 even sets is what I gathered.

Aaron Brewer, MS, CSCS, PES, CF-L1, USAW-L1
Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Jim Denofa

Profile:

21,15,9 is scientifically proven to increase work capacity across broad time and modal domains in a much more efficient manner than any other rep scheme. Years of research went into developing this elite numeric sequence. After the countless successful cases of increased power output and better quality of life from 21,15,9, HQ decided to amplify the efficacy of Main site programming by introducing the ever dreaded 9,7,5 rep masterpiece, and blow peoples minds with 42,30,18 (doubly effective).

I can't wait to see what they will dream up in 2014!!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Clint Harris

Profile:

Jim, my mind is always blown when they come up with creative rep schemes like 100-100-100-100. How'd they come up with that ? Must have researched that **** for years.
Maybe in 2014 we'll see 21-15-9-51-12

Last edited by Clint Harris : 12-19-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
I can't wait to see what they will dream up in 2014!!!!
Rumor has it that Jenny is taking over as Director of Programming for HQ next year.

First rep scheme to be introduced : 8-6-7-5-30-9

- Mark
Old 12-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Rumor has it that Jenny is taking over as Director of Programming for HQ next year.

First rep scheme to be introduced : 8-6-7-5-30-9

- Mark
LOL. Too funny.
3 rounds for time:
8 dead lifts
6 cleans
7 chest to bar
5 power snatches
30 burpees
9 hspu's

Last edited by Eric R Cohen : 12-20-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
Dakota Base

Profile:

Wherever it came from, it hits a pretty good mark for maximal effort of the same movement. As mentioned in the article (actually, as referenced in the article back to this forum), there's a certain point where you'll start to "feel it", and then there's a 'decay rate' for subsequent sets, especially if you are bouncing your heartrate off of a selected Z3 "floor" by limiting your rest duration.

Even at my best condition, with a weight I am comfortable handling, around 21 reps from fresh is where I'll start to feel it start to become a load. To allow maximal effort, the idea would be to cut off when the going gets tough, regroup, and rally back on the next set. In that set, it's usually around 15ish, and then 9ish.

Go do thrusters with an empty bar sometime. You'll notice that the "this sucks" light turns on after 15-25 reps, and you'll feel your perceived effort demand increase a bit. Then on the second set, you'll feel it around 10-20, then 8-15 on the 3rd. The 4th rep is an enigma, either you have gas left and can repeat the 8-15 again, or you're laying on the floor.

So that's my "A guess". My "B guess" is that if you look at certain training programs, strength training might be 3x8, 3x10, 5x5, 5/5/3/3/3, 5/3/1 etc. Usually somewhere in the 10-30 rep ball park, whereas body building or circuit programs used to push higher rep counts with lower weights, up into the 50+ rep ballpark. Not a big stretch to think that someone split the difference, then used a decay ratio to factor it across sets, thinking it would be sufficient to build strength, while developing tone and endurance at the same time. Master of all, master of none scenario.

Beyond that, I'd say it became common because Crossfit is Crossfit, and we must all drink the koolaid.

Fun trick to play on yourself though: one day, just mix it up and do 26/19/12 instead, or throw in a 21/15/9/6.