CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Aaron Abke

Profile:
Re: Please critique my Squat Snatch form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
You are going to NEED that hook grip when it starts to get closer to an appropriate % of your Squat.

Start training it now. If you are doing it right, it is going to strain your thumb. You want to condition that early, so it doesn't slow your training in the future.
Yea good call! I'm figuring it's going to take at least a year before my snatch #'s are anything close to my squat, so I'll definitely start training that now.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Oh, and BTW - calling a snatch a "squat snatch" is redundant. In weightlifting terms, a snatch is a lift from ground to overhead ending in a squatting position. Or at least that's what I've been led to believe. Just an FYI
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Oh, and BTW - calling a snatch a "squat snatch" is redundant. In weightlifting terms, a snatch is a lift from ground to overhead ending in a squatting position. Or at least that's what I've been led to believe. Just an FYI
ah ok. I wasn't sure how to differentiate because I know in Crossfit WOD's, like 13.1 for example, they'll just say "30 snatch of ______#". But the athletes don't actually do a full snatch, they do a muscle snatch (until they get to the 210 bar). So because of that I always figured that just saying "snatch" leaves it open to whichever kind of snatch you can or wish to do. Saying "full snatch" or "squat snatch" to me tells me exactly which type to do. But Crossfit is a different world than Olympic weightlifting and so I'm sure the way they use terminology is different too. I'll just start referring to it as a snatch from now on
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Patrick Costello

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Abke View Post
Saying "full snatch" or "squat snatch" to me tells me exactly which type to do. But Crossfit is a different world than Olympic weightlifting and so I'm sure the way they use terminology is different too. I'll just start referring to it as a snatch from now on
Unless there is another word in front of "snatch", it is understood to be the full lift, from the ground to overhead, caught in the bottom of a squat. Anything else is just a variation of the full lift: Hang snatch, power snatch, hang power snatch, etc.

Anyway, to your video.

It looks like you have a pretty good idea of what a snatch is supposed to look/feel like and your movement is well on its way. There are a few minor things, but as others have said, you're not actively pulling under.

You're not bending your arms at all (that i can see) when you're going under which is making you swing the bar around. I try not to say think shrug or elbows this and that, but more...do what you need to aggressively pull yourself under and get the weight behind you. If you're trying to pull under fast, all that stuff in between will happen naturally, but you're being a bit too gentle with it now

When the weight is light, most people tend to get sloppy about this because you don't have to try as hard to get under the weight, but try to make every rep be the same. Whether it's 50kg or 100kg, train yourself to pull hard and fast.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Hey guys, I've been working on my snatch for the last couple weeks and feel like I've made some improvement based on the advice that was given. Can you check out my progress and let me know what you think, the good and the bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqzZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Jeff Enge

Profile:

It's definitely improved! Getting a lot more of the full extension. I think you still have a few remnants of the power snatch in there though, you are still throwing the bar up and riding it down into the squat as opposed to pulling yourself under and catching, or at least that's how it looks to me. I know the weight is light enough to do that here, but you should be able to get to the point where a full snatch with a light weight looks the same as one with a maximal weight.

The other thing I noticed, and this may be a question of preference, is that you are setting up with your hips pretty high, more like how I'd think of a clean setup. If you pull your hips down a little more and get your upper body more vertical, it makes it easier to keep the weight close in to your body throughout the lift.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
It's definitely improved! Getting a lot more of the full extension. I think you still have a few remnants of the power snatch in there though, you are still throwing the bar up and riding it down into the squat as opposed to pulling yourself under and catching, or at least that's how it looks to me. I know the weight is light enough to do that here, but you should be able to get to the point where a full snatch with a light weight looks the same as one with a maximal weight.

The other thing I noticed, and this may be a question of preference, is that you are setting up with your hips pretty high, more like how I'd think of a clean setup. If you pull your hips down a little more and get your upper body more vertical, it makes it easier to keep the weight close in to your body throughout the lift.
Great! I appreciate the advice. I think you are right about the hips being too high still. You should have seen how high they were before I corrected it though, because this video was after my friend helped me in my setup to get my butt down more. So I'll keep working on that. Also, I actually noticed that I'm not aggressively pulling myself under the bar right as I uploaded the video to Youtube. It is hard to practice that with such light weight, but I can't squat snatch more than 125# right now without losing my balance at the bottom, so I'm just trying to get a ton of reps in with this weight until my muscles get used to balancing in that rock bottom position. I can still work on pulling myself under more aggressively though, so thank you for confirming that point.

Snatching is definitely the most difficult Crossfit movement for me, but the good thing is it's a ton of fun to practice!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #18
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I think both of the things I mentioned should help you be able to balance better at the bottom.

What would tend to throw you off balance would be the bar moving in front or behind your body at the bottom. The closer the bar is to you body during the lift, the easier it's going to be to catch it straight overhead without giving it any forward or backward momentum. As for the riding down, if you're anything like me the hardest part of doing overhead squats is keeping the bar stable on the way down!

I agree that the snatch is the most technically difficult CF movement, it's so nuanced and because it happens so fast in one motion it's hard to diagnose yourself! I've got my own entirely different things I have to work on, my most recent video is actually a couple threads below this one!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
John Donovan

Profile:

There was definitely some good improvement from the first video but it still looks like the bar is coming away from you after it comes off your hips due to not bending your elbows. I had this same problem. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Burgener warm up but check that out and that should help you with drills to bend the elbows and keep the bar as close as possible to you.
32/5'10"/233. 500m row-1:39/1000m row-3:53/2k row- 8:12/DL-495, FS-325, Back squat- 440, Press-205, Snatch-96kg, C&J-121Kg, 5k run- 27:30
Old 04-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I agree with the poster above; your arms are staying straight and you are just circling it from your hips to overhead. It is probably because the weight is so light, but you really need to work on pulling your elbows high and outside to get the mechanics of the turn-over down and pulling yourself down under the bar. Some Snatch High Pulls would really help you out with this.

Even with Power Snatching, the mechanics are the same with the arms.