CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Aaron Abke

Profile:
Please critique my Squat Snatch form

Hey all, I posted a video the other day of my power snatch and took the advice I was given, mostly which was to start practicing a full squat snatch first. I've been doing that for a few days, and now I'm kind of at a wall. I'm doing some of the basic things right but I don't understand much about squat form and technique yet. Any advice and input on how to improve this is greatly appreciated!

I know I'm a little bit too much on my toes still and probably can open my hips more on the 2nd pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOKE-...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Adam Shreim

Profile:
Re: Please critique my Squat Snatch form

Need to practice getting your elbows high and outside on the last pull, this weight is too light to really emphasize that. Also, it was hard for me to pause it on this computer, but it looks like you are hitting closer to above mid-thigh, rather than your hip crease. Barbell Shrugged has some technique WODs by Mike Bledsoe that will help you out with both of these problems.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
Need to practice getting your elbows high and outside on the last pull, this weight is too light to really emphasize that. Also, it was hard for me to pause it on this computer, but it looks like you are hitting closer to above mid-thigh, rather than your hip crease. Barbell Shrugged has some technique WODs by Mike Bledsoe that will help you out with both of these problems.
Great advice. I'll check out the barbell shrugged technique WOD's.

It's hard to tell from the video, but my hands are as far out as they go on the bar. I have long arms for my body. The bar actually does hit me right below my hip crease, but its hard to tell from that video (I have the "bar-hickey's" to prove it lol). Is there anything I can do to get the bar to hit me a little higher up though? Maybe lean back more when I'm opening my hips?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Deb Weber

Profile:

Your bar swings away from you right off the floor. Makes everything harder. Should come in toward you as you pull knees back.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Weber View Post
Your bar swings away from you right off the floor. Makes everything harder. Should come in toward you as you pull knees back.
I get confused about whether I should concentrate on "pulling my knees back" which means my back does alot of the lifting, or lifting from the legs as I drive up and just leaning back more. I'm sure it's more of a middle ground between the two? I just can't figure out how to keep the bar path perfectly straight for some reason.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Deb Weber

Profile:

its not supposed to be straight. Pull your knees back and the bar too. Hips & shoulders rise at the same time, same back angle, dont lift your hips first, push feet thru floor.
Lincoln or one of the exp. coaches can prob help you better than I.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Weber View Post
its not supposed to be straight. Pull your knees back and the bar too. Hips & shoulders rise at the same time, same back angle, dont lift your hips first, push feet thru floor.
Lincoln or one of the exp. coaches can prob help you better than I.
Ahh...those tips right there will actually be extremely helpful for me. I never knew to move my shoulders and hips at the same speed, and to concentrate on pushing my feet through the floor. That should help my form out alot.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Here's a good frame-by-frame breakdown to see how close the bar really stays throughout the lift.

Also, I think you could set your shoulders back at the start more. That's something I am working on too.

Looks like your hand position is a better than your last video, at least it seems to be judging by the fact you were able to get a lot closer to triple extension at the top. Still have a touch more you could extend though.

http://kampsportsjov.files.wordpress...fts-snatch.jpg wfs
Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Here's a good frame-by-frame breakdown to see how close the bar really stays throughout the lift.

Also, I think you could set your shoulders back at the start more. That's something I am working on too.

Looks like your hand position is a better than your last video, at least it seems to be judging by the fact you were able to get a lot closer to triple extension at the top. Still have a touch more you could extend though.

http://kampsportsjov.files.wordpress...fts-snatch.jpg wfs
Oh wow, that's insane. It looks like the bar is actually touching his body almost the whole way up. That is definitely something i'll have to work on. Also, I haven't been doing hook grip most of the time. It feels very unusual at first so I need to get used to it. The still shots are extremely helpful tho, thanks for posting that.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Adam Shreim

Profile:

You are going to NEED that hook grip when it starts to get closer to an appropriate % of your Squat.

Start training it now. If you are doing it right, it is going to strain your thumb. You want to condition that early, so it doesn't slow your training in the future.