CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Ana Paladino

Profile:
Re: Fatigue - Not Enough Calories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Just understand being vegetarian and high level training is almost impossible to pull off.
Yes, I do understand this. Thus my dilemma now that I have added Crossfit to my life. I am currently not willing to add meat, but like I said, fish is a possibility. For now, I'm trying to focus on how I can get the best quality protein and caloric intake given my restrictions and training level.

Regarding over training, what do you suggest? I would hate to cut back. Is it only due to my intake that you would suspect that I'm over training?

Thank you for the insight
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Just be smart about what kinds of fish you're eating and where they're sourced from....you wouldn't want to eat a lot of swordfish or some types of tuna that are known for having lots of mercury. Generally, the higher something is on the food chain, the more likely it is to have accumulated mercury in its system. Mixing things up with other types of fish or with stuff like shrimp would also be a good idea.

Salmon (wild-caught and farmed) tend to be pretty low on the mercury scale--check out the first few links here (WFS) for more information.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Paladino View Post
Yes, I do understand this. Thus my dilemma now that I have added Crossfit to my life. I am currently not willing to add meat, but like I said, fish is a possibility. For now, I'm trying to focus on how I can get the best quality protein and caloric intake given my restrictions and training level.

Regarding over training, what do you suggest? I would hate to cut back. Is it only due to my intake that you would suspect that I'm over training?

You're doing CF 5x per week and running on the weekends. When are you resting? Rest days are when your body rebuilds itself so you can come back stronger and faster. If you never rest you never recover, and if you never recover you never improve.....or you just feel run-down all the time, especially if you're undereating. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Ana Paladino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You're doing CF 5x per week and running on the weekends. When are you resting? Rest days are when your body rebuilds itself so you can come back stronger and faster. If you never rest you never recover, and if you never recover you never improve.....or you just feel run-down all the time, especially if you're undereating. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
Nope, not familiar at all!

In all seriousness though, that's why I am here. Let me clarify - I only run three miles on Saturday and I will either run another three on Sunday or rest depending on how I feel. I don't want to overdo it, but I also want to make sure I am staying active during the weekend. If I designate Sundays as my rest day, is that enough? Or maybe active recovery on weekends with walking, yoga, etc., just so I don't go stir crazy!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Fischer View Post
Have you considered the possibility of an iron deficiency? If you are a student, your university may offer free/low cost nutrition analysis/counseling; if so, take advantage of it.
Great point!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:

If you can't bring yourself to eat some meat then protein powders, which you already use, are a great idea. I would up your supplemental protein intake by 40-60g per day.

Beyond that, eat something with some calories. Tofu is crap. Meat substitutes of any kind are crap.

Do yourself a favor and get a calorie counting app and see what you are consuming daily to include calorie containing beverages. I think it is going to be very low.

The person that mentioned overtraining is probably correct, but I think it is as much diet as training driven.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Chris Mason

Profile:

By the way, you say you are concerned about fat. What are your current stats (height, weight, age)?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Nope, not familiar at all!

In all seriousness though, that's why I am here. Let me clarify - I only run three miles on Saturday and I will either run another three on Sunday or rest depending on how I feel. I don't want to overdo it, but I also want to make sure I am staying active during the weekend. If I designate Sundays as my rest day, is that enough? Or maybe active recovery on weekends with walking, yoga, etc., just so I don't go stir crazy!
One rest day could be enough, or it might not be. There are a million other factors at play....here's a few off the top of my head:

-Are your 3 mile runs being done at recovery pace or are you running them at 5K race pace?
-How much sleep are you getting? Is it deep and uninterrupted or are you having kids wake you up all night?
-What's your daily life like? Stressful and physically demanding job or are you a student or deskbound?
-What does your gym's programming look like on those 5 days per week? Is it a bunch of 30+ minute "any ***hole metcons" or is it a smart balance of strength, conditioning, and skillwork?
-Are you making consistent progress on your strength numbers and your body composition?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Ana Paladino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
If you can't bring yourself to eat some meat then protein powders, which you already use, are a great idea. I would up your supplemental protein intake by 40-60g per day.

Beyond that, eat something with some calories. Tofu is crap. Meat substitutes of any kind are crap.

Do yourself a favor and get a calorie counting app and see what you are consuming daily to include calorie containing beverages. I think it is going to be very low.

The person that mentioned overtraining is probably correct, but I think it is as much diet as training driven.
That was going to be my next question. Although meat is the natural and better option, in my case, you suggest adding more whey powder as a smart option? Also, I've been considering adding more eggs to my diet. What's your take on the whole cholesterol/yolk discussion?

I agree with you on meat substitutes. I do my best to not eat processed foods and meat substitutes are the only problem lately because I need to find other protein sources to replace them. That's why I've been highly considering fish, but don't want to add it to my diet if it can't act as a main source of protein.

I don't drink anything besides water and a cup of black coffee a day. I will definitely track my calories and post the results. For now, what do you suggest for healthy ways to up my calories (other than the protein sources that we've discussed)?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I graduated in December and can't take advantage of a cheap nutrition counselor so I'm starting with you guys
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
That was going to be my next question. Although meat is the natural and better option, in my case, you suggest adding more whey powder as a smart option? Also, I've been considering adding more eggs to my diet. What's your take on the whole cholesterol/yolk discussion? Eat the whole egg, unless you have cholesterol problem or are prone to high cholesterol. The yolk is where a majority of the nutrients are. Whey is fine for convenience purposes (such as postworkout when you can't stomach a meal) but real food is almost always better.

I agree with you on meat substitutes. I do my best to not eat processed foods and meat substitutes are the only problem lately because I need to find other protein sources to replace them. That's why I've been highly considering fish, but don't want to add it to my diet if it can't act as a main source of protein. Yes, fish is fine if you're not willing to eat meat or chicken. Fish plus more eggs plus more whey powder should get you where you need to be in terms of protein intake.

I don't drink anything besides water and a cup of black coffee a day. I will definitely track my calories and post the results. For now, what do you suggest for healthy ways to up my calories (other than the protein sources that we've discussed)? Olive oil, coconut milk, coconut oil, dense carbs like oats/rice/sweet potatoes.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I graduated in December and can't take advantage of a cheap nutrition counselor so I'm starting with you guys
Answers in bold.