CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Brian Nguyen

Profile:
Progression with Oly Lifts

I was wondering what progression I should be doing with olympic lifts? Every week I have 1 day of Snatches, Snatch Pull, and OHS and the other day of Clean & Jerks, Clean Pull, and Front Squats. Should I do a linear progression? or what would be recommended for progress. Side note: it is hard to follow Catalyst because of the volume- I have 1/2 days of practice and 1 game day per week so I only have 3 days to be in the weight room. Plus, I am also doing one day of 5/3/1 per week. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Progression with Oly Lifts

I think you might want to be more discerning in what you are choosing to work on at any given time.

If you are doing a true 5/3/1 then just do that for strength. If you want to do O-lifting do skill work for the O-lifts until you are ready to focus on them.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Brian Nguyen

Profile:

so should i cycle on and off between the two? say like 3 months with 5/3/1 and 3 months of oly?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Yes, that is exactly what I did and it seemed to work out very well. 6 weeks of Smolov squat cycle, bench press, and DL followed by 3 weeks of OLY work.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

What are you lift numbers now and do they have good form?

I've known a few people that tack on the 531 as strength to their Olympic Lifting.

So they do their Olympic Lift/s, then they do their 531 as strength accessory work. But that would depend if you are doing simple 531 or 531 MainLift plus all the accessory exercises.

If you were doing a basic 531, I think you could pair a press (bench/overhead) and leg (squat/dead) as strength work to your lifting.

So

Sn, Sn Pull then do BS/OHP. CJ, Cln Pull then DL/BP.

And maybe the 3rd day just Sn, CJ, no pulls and do a bunch of accessory ****. Curls ya know. Rows. Conditioning. Leglifts, pullups, and dips. L work. Reverse Hyper or Good Mornings, Romanian DL, etc.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Brian Nguyen

Profile:

My lifts are:
Squat: 335
Bench Press: 305
Deadlift: 410
MPress: ~195

Snatch: 62x5
C&J: 72x5
FS: 102x5

(Weak Oly numbers-just started a few months ago)

So should I focus on Oly lifting for now?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Set's of 5? Let's start there.....

Focus on single reps at around 60%-85% of your 1rm until your form is on point.

The fs I would be fine with sets of 5 but make sure that you cycle through those as well so that you also hit sets of 3, 2, and 1 on the fs at different times of your training cycle. Treat it like any of the other lifts that you listed in the first group, it is not an "olympic specific" lift (if that makes any sense).

With your bs, and dl numbers, I would say that 80-90kg snatch, and a 125-140kg clean and jerk are not too far away once you get more exposure to the olympic lifts.

If you want to focus on oly lifts, then focus on oly lifts. There is a host of reasons out there to do so, but there is a host of reasons (chris mason will be happy to provide - ) to not focus on them. What are you goals, what do YOU want to do?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Brian Nguyen

Profile:

My goals revolve mostly around athletic training since I play a school sport-and thanks! I will start doing singles instead I trained C&J the other day at my x5 weight I wrote down and I definitely feel like I can easily do 92kg

Currently I hae a strained MCL so I can't do any oly lifts or dl or bs for that matter for about 3-4 weeks so for now I'm just focusing everything above my waist
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
so should i cycle on and off between the two? say like 3 months with 5/3/1 and 3 months of oly?
That would be one approach. It really depends on your main goal?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
My goals revolve mostly around athletic training since I play a school sport-and thanks! I will start doing singles instead I trained C&J the other day at my x5 weight I wrote down and I definitely feel like I can easily do 92kg

Currently I hae a strained MCL so I can't do any oly lifts or dl or bs for that matter for about 3-4 weeks so for now I'm just focusing everything above my waist
Just read this. If your goal is athletic performance and you are not an Olympic lifter then the O-lifts are not ideal for your goal.