CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Ross Barrett

Profile:
Foam rolling

I'm after some advice guys, I've been foam rolling to help mobilise my legs and t spine but noticed when I roll all my back I I get alot of cracking. It feels alot looser after but every now and then I get real tight and sore so foam roll, it pops loudly and Fine again. Has anyone else experienced this and can you cause harm by rolling the whole of your back?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Andre J Gordon-Ruddell

Profile:
Re: Foam rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Barrett View Post
I'm after some advice guys, I've been foam rolling to help mobilise my legs and t spine but noticed when I roll all my back I I get alot of cracking. It feels alot looser after but every now and then I get real tight and sore so foam roll, it pops loudly and Fine again. Has anyone else experienced this and can you cause harm by rolling the whole of your back?
I love my foam roller, but I think the cracking is your body going back into place. I can crack mine by twisting, but if your concerned see someone about it. Try rolling everyday to prevent it getting tighter and sore.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Barrett View Post
I foam roll all of my back and get a couple good cracks every time I do it. I feel better after I do this, but I have no idea if it's safe or not. Check out www.mobilitywod.com (wfs), K-Star more than likely has something on it.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Tony Grubiak

Profile:

I don't think you want to roll your lower spine.the muscles around the lower spine are ok.foam rolling is just the begining to self massage.Like someone mentioned check out Kelly Starret @ mobiltywod.com..
Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Donald Lee

Profile:

Yeah, if you foam roll your lumbar region, you don't want it to be in extension. Foam roll your upper and lower back separately. It's easiest to foam roll your lower back one side at a time.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Clint Harris

Profile:

Yes. Feels great too.
I used to get stiff/sore back often, sometimes during wods, and I'd only foam roll when it was sore. Occasionally I'd get a pop (that may have been audible), but mostly not. I then started to do it a little more often, like twice a week, and I noticed a nice little pop which felt good more often So I kept at it.
<insert 2 months>
Now, I have the foam roller on the landing of my stairs and I foam roll about 2-3 times a day. Sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for a few rolls. Now my back sometimes does about a dozen tiny little quick-fire pops (like tiny bubbles) in a line inside my spine. It's not an audible thing, more of a feeling, and is usually only on first roll of day. I don't get the one big pop anymore. It feels great and I hardly ever get a sore/tired back during a wod now. (I actually stopped typing and went and did it now - no pops, but muscles feel invigorated).
I plan on adding my my thighs/IT band more often (and then other parts). When I do those it usually really hurts so hopefully I can work on it to a point where it no longer does.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Andre J Gordon-Ruddell

Profile:

Not longed finished my WOD, now at home and about to spend the next 10-15 rolling my entire body. Love it......