CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Snatch Pull before Snatches?

Sn Balance, Sn pull. All valid given the need.

Need to warm up legs and CNS...Sn Balance or Sn Pull. Want to cue pulling positions, pulls or high pulls; especially if someone doesn't keep the bar close.

Want a lift that doesn't tax you like a full Sn, Sn Chinese High Pull works well as their is no recovery.

Now if we were going to take the pulls heavy for strength, I'd do them after the full lifts.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I would not do pulls on the way to a max snatch, except perhaps for beginners who get timid off the floor with heavy-feeling weights. But they probably should be working from the hang anyway. As soon as you get the slightest thought that you don't have to commit to getting under a 90+ percent lift, you are pretty much done for. When your back tires from too many heavy reps you end up doing a snatch pull or snatch deadlift anyway. These are also very tiring. Don't practice being tired before you are. I sometimes get a PVC out between sets and just practice fast high pulls before returning to the bar.

Aside: I've found depth jumps (24-30" boxes) in the warm-up quite effective for priming the CNS for max oly lifts.

Last edited by Mauricio Leal : 11-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Mauricio, I haven't tried the depth jumps but it sounds interesting. I used to use them for my and my gymnast's warmups. These and jumps across the floor. Sometimes I'm lazy and I would just do standing jumps instead for myself.

I will Chinese SnHP a weight before I lift it sometimes to get some confidence going into the lift. That way I won't all of a sudden find out that the weight is heavier than I thought.

I guess if I fail the rep, I'll be ready by the next one though. I might have to rethink this. Usually I only do combos as I'm warming up and start weeding out the 2nd or 3rd lift such as a pull or snatch from hang (besides snatch from the floor) as the weight goes up. Let's be honest, I rarely do doubles. I could probably do doubles and they might be good for me in the long run. OTOH, they are a ***** to do in the meanwhile.

I'm tentative about going too fast or powerful with just PVC or even just bar. I've pulled the crap out of either at times in my warmup and nearly broke my *** because of layback. Not fun.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
Chantel Zandi

Profile:
Smile Re: Snatch Pull before Snatches?

Personal experience: Whenever I do snatch pulls I can't help but pull a few snatches and they usually result in a PR. Probably just luck but I love doing snatch pulls then snatch work.... To each is their own I guess and I don't really have an answer other than go for it and see how you feel/what works for you....
Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
Brian Nguyen

Profile:

Thanks! I've heard of box jumps especially in the nfl training realm as a way to fire up your cns. As for my normal workouts I will begin replacing OHS with snatch balances instead