CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Low BF%, risky- Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Jacobson View Post
I really can't believe all the stuff I read saying that they are not healthy because their BF% is below 15%.
The training and restrictive dietary practices used by some women to achieve very low levels of body fat are considered harmful because they can lead to something known as the female athlete triad - eating disorders, menstrual disorders (amenorrhea), and osteoporosis. So, while the women you admire may appear to be healthy they may be setting themselves up for some serious long term health problems.

American College of Sports Medicine Position Stand: The Female Athlete Triad.

Australian Sports Commission: The Female Athlete Triad - Nutrition and Eating.

ABC of Sports and Exercise Medicine - The Female Athlete Triad.

The Female Athlete Triad: Components, Nutrition Issues, and Health Consequences.

www.femaleathletetriad.org

*All links wfs*
Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Martin View Post
I don't see many CF women under said 15%.
I'm leaning this way. You guys really think a lot of the CF women are less than 15%? Based on these sites:

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-p...nd-percentages (linked earlier also)
and
http://paindatabase.com/bodyfat/
(both maybe not WFS since people in their underwear)

I don't really think so. Look at this mainsite picture with several top women: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/...lle-11082.html (WFS probably. Women in workout cloths) I don't think any of those women look leaner than the 15% pictures, they just have more muscle.

Maybe Annie Sakamoto, but I can't think of other women from the CF games who looked really cut.

If you disagree put up some pictures of what you're talking about with the super low body fat. I'm just not seeing it.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
Chantel Zandi

Profile:

Interesting thread...

I recently had mine taken and I'm sitting at 12.4% ... I do come from a heavy athletic background in competitive cheerleading and train 5 days a week (once a day)....

I was curious about this... I started Crossfit about 7 months ago... I did not take measurements or body fat % then but I imagine every female is different but personally I feel great and my performance has gotten better.... I have started to hit a plateau and one of my coaches mentioned the fact that I'm getting pretty lean may be contributing to it.. loss of strength in particular... Can body fat % be too low? I hear it's very common among crossfit women with intermittent menstrual cycles given the type of training we do and low body %. Just speaking from personal experience I've only had mostly good things to say.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantel Zandi View Post
loss of strength in particular... Can body fat % be too low? I hear it's very common among crossfit women with intermittent menstrual cycles given the type of training we do and low body %. Just speaking from personal experience I've only had mostly good things to say.
Yes and your coach already identified one of the symptoms. Excessively low body fat is a symptom in itself of being under nourished.

If your goal is health and performance then you want just enough BF to:

1) Have regular menstrual cycles

2) Be able to build strength at least until an advanced level for your body weight

3) Not show symptoms of over training

4) Have good blood work

I don't want to put an exact number on it because it will differ from person to person.

Try eating a little more. See if you feel and perform better. If you got sub 13% then you should have the discipline to make adjustments up and down to find the best spot for you. Lower is not always better.

It happens to guys to. I went Paleo dropped to 178 at 5'11" with broad shoulders. This was too light. I couldn't get stronger. I had to change up my diet and focus on strength. Now I'm 190ish same body fat as 178, I eat a lot more calories then before and I'm much stronger.