CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Administrative Area > Technical Support
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technical Support Questions on using the board software, etc.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Jonah Searby

Profile:
Thumbs up Help with crossfit + powerlifting

Hi guys. Im new to crossfit but am addicted already. I do a fair bit of strength training, currently doing Wendlers 3-2-1. What i am after is some advice in how i may be able to refine my training to fit in WODs with the strength training. I am nearly 34, 6ft, 82kg (180lbs). My 1RM Deadlift 170kg - 374lbs Bench 100kg - 220lbs Squat 130kg - 286lbs Clean & Push 80kg - 176lbs. With the Wendler i train 4 times a week, weds off or light cardio. I do the compounds heavy then 2 accessory exercises 5x10. I normally do the WOD after this so im pretty worked out by then but still very capable of doing the WOD. Now im limited at my gym, barbell and pullup bar and thats pretty much it. I cant throw the barbell down so have to control it, i have to sqaut in smith machine (bad but no choice) I can front squat whatever i can clean as no squat rack!! So its a lot of bodyweight and running WODs for me.
So really im asking is there a better way for me to incorporate these together? For instance should i forget the accessory exercises, or should i forget Wendlers and lift heavy for 10 sets of 1-2-3-4 or 5 reps on compounds? Or maybe do 1 week Wendler 1 week crossfit with high rep compounds?? I cant change gyms as live in a small village in Spain, and in truth all the gyms out here are quite similar in not being equipped for heavy lifting, so i have to make do with what i have for now. My goals are to lose fat, try to get to around 10% bf, prob about 15-18% now, get stronger, would like to add 5+kg on BP and C&J, add 20+on DL and SQ. Keep getting better at WODs. Any advice would be so very much appreciated.
Thanks guys!!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Help with crossfit + powerlifting

You'll get more responses if you put a thread like this in the "Fitness" forum.

I'm guessing you mean 5/3/1 rather than 3-2-1....anyways, read the 2nd edition 5/3/1 e-book and it has several chapters about how to integrate the strength work in with conditioning work of different types. I'd highly recommend reading the e-book anyways so you fully understand the program you're doing and why it's laid out the way it is.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Jonah Searby

Profile:
Re: Help with crossfit + powerlifting

Thanks i will do that, sorry 5-3-1 is what i meant. I thought i was posting in that forum, i cant seem to workout how to post it in there??