CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Buying Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pack View Post
If you are paying a premium I would just ensure that what you are buying is indeed locally grown. I knew a guy that ran a vegetable stand in front of a large garden. Many people stopped to get the fresh produce. Although some things came out of the garden, the vast majority of his produce came from wholesalers, just like the regional grocery chains.
Yeah I'm sure more sellers at farmer markets are guilty of this practice than we like to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
For non-zealots who live in temperate climates, it's really a tradeoff. Unless I'm willing to limit myself to potatoes and onions for 5 months out of the year, I'm going to be eating some non-local produce. (Although home preserving can stretch the seasons for those with gardens.) Unless I'm willing to drop avocado, mango, pineapple, and all forms of citrus, I'm going to be eating some non-local produce.

On the other hand, I don't need Chilean apples in July when I can have Washington cherries instead. Having a preference for local foods means looking at local substitutes, and planning the menu around local options as much as possible.

Katherine
Good points, Katherine. As an econ major in school, most things in life come with a trade-off!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Living where we do, it's probably easier than anywhere else to buy local, and there are few excuses not to. I totally agree local tastes better. Pick-your-own berries are superior to any berry in a supermarket. The best melons I've ever eaten were impulse buys at roadside farm stands.

However, buying local on a regular basis takes time ('Do I drive around before the swim meet? After the swim meet? What about soccer practice?'), gas, and dealing with the hassles of traffic. A lot of the time they all outweigh being a locavorian.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Daniel Dean

Profile:

I caught the end of an editorial this guy did on NPR a couple days ago. Some of his points are probably valid, but he lost all credibility to me when he said that growing tomatoes in Florida is better than a greenhouse somewhere else. The Florida tomato industry is F-ing horrible http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/bo...se-review.html WFS
Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Coincidentally, from today's paper:

http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...the-world.html (WFS)

I've lived here for close to 15 years and have only been there once. It's probably worth another trip.

Last edited by Glenn Pasewicz : 07-07-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I see big corps putting small bisnuess out. Wall mart under cuts eery one to the point that getting things local is tough.

Also on buying local you can talk to the people and find out how the food is treated. Local eggs like are more likely from free range chickens( like mine and my chickens) and are not force fed hormones(ect)..My vegs from my garden have never had pesticides or preservitaves.

CLEAN FOOD worth the extra cost.

For me there is more then extra cost involves. planting, tending watering, is all wrapped in the ''cost'' for clean food.

In saying that, I do buy from big chains for things i can't get. I just resighn myself to the ''lesser'' when and where I have to.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
most things in life come with a trade-off!
Everything, at some level, comes with a trade-off in my experience.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I'd also argue that eating local forces you to eat seasonal, and the seasonal cycle of food availability is good for you. It forces a natural variety to your diet, and it gives you something to look forward to.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Eating clean (paleoish), is expensive enough. The extra cost of buying local all the time would be impossible. I don't mind buying it once in a while at farmer's markets to support the local community, but it is not something I do on a regular basis. To me it is an economical thing. But I'd given a choice, I'd buy local as much as I could.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Eating clean (paleoish), is expensive enough. The extra cost of buying local all the time would be impossible. I don't mind buying it once in a while at farmer's markets to support the local community, but it is not something I do on a regular basis. To me it is an economical thing. But I'd given a choice, I'd buy local as much as I could.
This is what I intended to say in my original post but it didn't come out as good
Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #20
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
This is what I intended to say in my original post but it didn't come out as good
I knew that is what you were trying to say. LOL.