CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #51
John C Blattner

Profile:
Re: Total Knee Repalcement

Recently got the word that a TKA is only a matter of time so I'm aiming for sooner rather than later, now interviewing a couple doctors who've been recommended, hoping to get the procedure done yet this fall.

This thread has been very encouraging as I am still relatively young for TKA by traditional standards (I turn 60 next week), have been Crossfitting for one year and very much want to be able to resume & upgrade my training after surgery. Right now I am unable to run, row, or squat so I pretty much do my own personal G-WOD (Gimp WOD) several times a wekk (in addition to pre-op PT).

A couple questions for the group:

1. What were your general time lines for (a) getting out of the hopital, (b) driving, (c) going back to work (I'm an attorney so my work is very sedentary), (d) resuming CF at the "G-WOD" level, (e) doing respectable air squats? I'm just trying to establish some realistic expectations/goals for the short term.

2. How do you rate the prospects of someday being able to run, do box jumps, and do O-lifting with more than token load?

3. Are there choices to be made as to what "hardware" is installed? If so, any advice on what prosthetics are best suited to CF? Where do you go to learn more about them?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #52
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgoens have put together a list of recommended activities, activities we don't know about and activities that you probably should not do. Here is a statement from a recent survey of joint replacement doctors.

"With recent improvements in implant fixation and wear reduction, 95 percent of orthopaedic surgeons who responded to a survey say they place no limitations on swimming, golf, walking on even surfaces, bicycling on level surfaces, or climbing stairs when recommending activities for patients with a well-functioning total hip replacement (THR) or total knee replacement (TKR). Higher-impact activities are more commonly discouraged, and there is a trend towards more activity restrictions following successful TKR."

The issue is the life of the polyethylene implant or liner. The more stress on it the quicker it can wear down, necessitating a revision.
TKA 2 April 12: In 2 ˝ days I was home
I drove to my first therapy session the following week.
Follow your Physical Therapist instructions at therapy, do you therapy homework, range of motion is the hardest and painful
I returned to work 25 June 12 work at a County Jail, so I’m on my feet walking most of the 8 hour shift.
Crossfit WOD’s: No running, or jumping, I'm fine with that ran and jumped enough in the Army. He advises body weight or light weight for workouts. Some WOD’s I modify and some I don’t. Lots of information on the internet, but most say the same thing
Read Sean’s post he is an Ortho Doc
Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #53
Greg Griffith

Profile:

Hi John,

Welcome to the message board.

I had TKR March 2011, about 18 months ago. I am now 60 years old and I have been crossfitting for a little over 2 years now.

My time in the hospital was about the same as Pete's and I think I was driving in a week, maybe two.

As far as wods are concerned, I found that my knee let me know what I could do, at least at the beginning. And I was back in the box at about 1 month after the surgery. My knee got better and better and my confidence grew correspondingly. I thought it would only get better. At the 14 month mark or so, I may have overdone some things like deadlifts and squats. So since early May I have been struggling to get back to "normal". I now have swelling and more pain than before. My doctor is not yet sure what we're going to do next. I expect to know more in a few days.

I didn't run much for a couple of years before the TKR and never after. Or jumping. I have never heard an orthopedist give the OK for those activities. But I have read that some TKR patients are able to do marathons? I did a little bit of snowboarding, with no problems.

As for brands? I'm not sure about that, although I've tried to read about them on the internet. They all say they are the best? Mine is from Zimmer. My guess is that it is like the difference between a Ford and a Chevrolet. I've had both and could never tell that much difference. Other folks here may have more information.

On a positive note, I did some weightlifting in today's WOD and I cleaned and half-assed jerked 145 lbs. My jerk is looking more like a jerky push press these days.

But that is sort of heavy for me and I didn't hurt either knee.

Best of luck to you in TKR and of course, crossfit.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #54
Sean Rockett

Profile:

We have seen an explosion of TKA implants over the past few years. Patients are getting them at a younger age and are no longer tolerating advice to stop activities, take NSAIDs and use a cane if it hurts. TKAs when they first were being implanted were for patients who could no longer stand or walk. As things have progressed, people are getting them, feeling great and now wondering what they can do.
In a Canadian study and review of the literature this was found-
Younger age (variably defined) and male sex increased the risk of revision 3-fold to 5-fold for hip and knee arthroplasty.

Bottom line is pain has to be really bad to get one, function has to be severely limited to need one, and afterwards your pain and function should be better, but don't expect to be at the same place you were at age 30. Will do post on arthritis on 321GoMD.com in future
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #55
John C Blattner

Profile:

Thanks to all for your responses. A couple other questions:

1. How did you resolve the issue of the 10-15-year lifespan of the prosthetic? Sounds like some or all of you are at least as young as I am (60). I don't fancy having to worry about going through all this again when I'm 70 or 75. Is it just a matter of the pain being so bad now that it's worth the future risk?

2. I'm pretty much resigned to no running, no jumping, and no (or at least only seriously reduced) O-lifting after the surgery. How have you all fared with air squats and movements that incorporate squatting, like wallballs and ball-slams?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #56
Greg Griffith

Profile:

Not sure how to answer your first question. I'm only 18 months into my new knee and I'm having problems with it. Something is wrong but we haven't quite figured it out yet. I'd rather not have to this again at age 75 either, but I might be looking at that prospect way earlier.

I don't run or jump but air squats, wall balls or slam balls haven't been a problem. O lifting for me has had to be scaled back significantly. Heavier lifting may have been part of the reason that I'm having a problem.

GG

QUOTE=John C Blattner;1098739]Thanks to all for your responses. A couple other questions:

1. How did you resolve the issue of the 10-15-year lifespan of the prosthetic? Sounds like some or all of you are at least as young as I am (60). I don't fancy having to worry about going through all this again when I'm 70 or 75. Is it just a matter of the pain being so bad now that it's worth the future risk?

2. I'm pretty much resigned to no running, no jumping, and no (or at least only seriously reduced) O-lifting after the surgery. How have you all fared with air squats and movements that incorporate squatting, like wallballs and ball-slams?[/quote]
Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #57
John C Blattner

Profile:

Just scheduled TKR for December 4, 2012. Great relief after having agonized about it for so long.

I'll be getting a "Conformis" implant. They take a CT scan of the knee and then build a customized implant that is installed with the help of laser-guided technology. The idea is that it requires a smaller incision, less bone loss, and less trauma to the muscles. (My PT told me of having observed a couple TKR procedures and described them literally taking pre-made prosthetics off the shelf, figuring out which was the best size and fit, and then needing to remove bone in order to match to the prosthesis.) There is some prospect of easing the rehab somewhat, though the surgeon made clear it's still a "challenging" scenario.

According to the surgeon, the newest off-the-shelf prosthetics are rated by FDA as good for 30 years, and he thinks the Conformis should be about the same though the FDA hasn't officially said so yet. In any event, it sounds like I should be able to take this one to the grave with me.

Thanks to all for your input, it helped with the decision-making process. I'm going to the box this afternoon to celebrate!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #58
John C Blattner

Profile:

Got the CT scan this morning. Much shorter and less dramatic than an MRI. Now I wait for six weeks while Conformis builds my new knee.

My plan in the meantime is to do a slate of exercises prescribed by my physical therapist for building up the quads and other muscles that support the knee joint - the same exercises I will be doing in rehab after the surgery - plus whatever Crossfit Gimp-WODs I can manage, focusing on core, upper body, and the aforementioned quads etc.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #59
William M Davison

Profile:

John
Just sent you a PM. Having the same on Nov 20th. The wait is driving me crazy...
Old 10-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #60
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

6 months and 24 days since TKA, and doing well
How are the rest of you doing?
Pete