CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #41
Jimmy Settle

Profile:
Re: Total Knee Repalcement

Well I am 53 and have been doing crossfit for the last 2 1/2 years and on Sept 5th I will be getting my left knee replaced. I plan on doing everything that I possibly can do to get back ASAP. I have been on the fire dept for the last 34 years and plan on staying on at least another 5 to 6 years. My local doc told me to quit my job with a new knee then I asked a friend who had both knees replaced (and is very active) where to go and get it done. (I am going to his doc in Plano Tx.) The joint I am getting is the Vanguard Total knee from Biomet. My friend plays softball and basketball with 2 of these joints and he loves them. I hope that my experience will be this good as well. When I told the doc in Plano what my local doc had said he was very puzzled. He assured me there was no reason to quit my job. I will post my results and everyone out there with TKR's keep us all up to date on your progress as well. Good luck to all and stay active!!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #42
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

TKA 2 April 2012. I'm 54 and work at a County Jail, and Iím on my feet, up and down stairs most of the 8 hour shift. I still have minor aches from time to time, sometimes after work or the WOD, Iíll ice for 10-15 minutes and Iím good
Old 08-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #43
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Jimmy I've been doing Crossfit since 2007,TKA 4 months +25 days ago, my progress is good. Your progress will be good, DO physical therapy
Todays WOD with Substitutions/Modifications for me
100lb forward sled drag, 25m
20 Pull-ups
50 Step ups, 20Ē
25 Dips
20 Knees to elbows
30 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 Pood
30 Sit-ups
20 Kettlebell cleans, 20kilos
25 Good mornings, 45lbs
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
15 Rope Pull-ups
26:58
Sled Drags seem to be a knee friendly exercise to replace running for me
Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #44
Greg Griffith

Profile:

Update on my knee. For four days now I have had less pain since early May. I've been scaling workouts like crazy and trying to work on better ROM. But still cross fitting as well as my PT.

Today I was able to do OHS and BS @95lbs in a 20 min AMRAP. Although not a complete ROM, it was ok for me.

I am hoping I've turned a corner on this injury situation. (TKR 3/2011)

Also, a question for others with TKR. Do you like ice as much as I do? It really seems to help me with pain. But, I've been reading on this message board, that icing isn't a recommended part of the RICE protocol any longer. At least in some of the expert opinions. But I think they're talking more about acute injuries more than long term chronic injuries? Anybody else reading about that?

Greg Griffith
Old 09-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #45
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

TKA 2 Apr 12: 4 months and 29 days post op
Yes I read that, I've used ice for years, it works for me. After work or the WOD, Iíll ice for 10-15 minutes and Iím good
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #46
Jimmy Settle

Profile:

It has been 8 days since my TKR and I can already tell that the arthritis pain is gone! I know the road to complete recovery is not going to be an easy one but I am ready for the challenge. I have a great home health care rehab nurse and she pushes me to do my best everytime I see her. I am under 2 weeks house arrest (1 week down & 1 week to go) and I can't wait to get out of here!! Most of all I can't wait to get back to Crossfitting!! I will keep everyone up to date and all other TKR paitents out there keep doing the same. Good luck & stay active!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #47
Greg Griffith

Profile:

Hang in there. It does get better although it sounds like you are already well on the way to recovery.
I think I was back in the box after 1 month. But of course, like others, I was extremely careful not screw anything up. (I saved that for later.)
It is always interesting to hear of other Crossfitters TKR experiences and recoveries.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #48
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

6 month Ortho checkup today: Doctor said knee looks great, looks like you have been working hard, and strength is very good. So I asked what can I safely do, squats? Deadlifts? Shoulder press? Still no running, or jumping, I'm fine with that ran enough in the Army. He advises body weight squats or with light weight, same for deadlifts and shoulder presses
Iíve researched a lot and there seem to be many contradictions, on what someone with a TKA can do, whatís the real deal?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #49
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Nadeau View Post
6 month Ortho checkup today: Doctor said knee looks great, looks like you have been working hard, and strength is very good. So I asked what can I safely do, squats? Deadlifts? Shoulder press? Still no running, or jumping, I'm fine with that ran enough in the Army. He advises body weight squats or with light weight, same for deadlifts and shoulder presses
Iíve researched a lot and there seem to be many contradictions, on what someone with a TKA can do, whatís the real deal?
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgoens have put together a list of recommended activities, activities we don't know about and activities that you probably should not do. Here is a statement from a recent survey of joint replacement doctors.

"With recent improvements in implant fixation and wear reduction, 95 percent of orthopaedic surgeons who responded to a survey say they place no limitations on swimming, golf, walking on even surfaces, bicycling on level surfaces, or climbing stairs when recommending activities for patients with a well-functioning total hip replacement (THR) or total knee replacement (TKR). Higher-impact activities are more commonly discouraged, and there is a trend towards more activity restrictions following successful TKR."

The issue is the life of the polyethylene implant or liner. The more stress on it the quicker it can wear down, necessitating a revision.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #50
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Thanks Sean, all though itís discouraging I plan on following the advice of my Doctor, you and all that I have researched. I want to be able to play with my Granddaughter and Grandchildren

Pete