CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #31
Skip Chase

Profile:
Re: Total Knee Repalcement

I am experiencing a minor setback-I've developed arthrofibrosis in the joint cavity. (the same happened with my left knee in 2008) It is mostly between the tibial plateau and the knee cap. I see the doc on the 11th.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #32
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I survived my first week back at work, modified WODís and physical therapy. No pain didnít need medication, I iced after, work, WOD and therapy, knee felt good. I work at a County Jail, so Iím on my feet most of the 8 hour shift. I estimated 2400 stair steps up and down give or take a 200 or so. I walked 4000 meters plus or minus and responded to two emergency situations with in the unit. My strength is good and only going to get stronger, and yes I am being careful not to overdo it.
My feet sure are tired
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #33
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I survived my second week back at work, with modified WODís. No pain, a little achy if I sat down to long, didnít need any meds, I iced after, work, and WODís, and overall knee feels good.
I bought a weight sled and started forward and backward pulling to replace running involved WOD's. Its appears to be a knee friendly exercise and a real leg burner
Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Just over 3 months since TKA
Been back at work 4 weeks already, and Iíve been doing modified main site WODís 3 on 1 off.
I have minor aches from time to time (usually early evening). Which I Ice for 10-15 minutes for pain relief
Most days my knee feels great and other days especially great.
My progress on strength and coordination is good
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #35
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

TKA Update
4 months and 1 day since my TKA, my progress is good; I feel like a new man, my whole attitude has changed for the better.
Iím training smart; not really pushing the limits of my new knee during WODís. Iíve been doing modified main site WODís 3 on 1 off, with an occasional rest on day 2. I use weighted sled drags power walking forward and backward, in place of running, they feel good and are building strength. I still work at a County Jail, and Iím on my feet most of the 8 hour shift. I still have minor aches from time to time, sometimes after work or the WOD, Iíll ice for 10-15 minutes and Iím good
Todayís WOD
Modified In Accordance With Rule 6
For time:
65 pound Thruster, 30 reps
15 Rope Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 20 reps
10 Rope Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 10 reps
5 Rope Pull-ups
8:28
M/54/6í/205
Rule 6: Youíre in charge of your life, use common sense
Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #36
Pete Nadeau

Profile:
Re: Total Knee Replacement

How are all you Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA) people doing?
My progress is good.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #37
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Hi Pete,

I just had a bilateral total knee replacement on August 2nd. I have one more week of at home PT then I go to outpatient PT. I came home on August 6th, on the 7th my ROM was 95 both legs and on the 13th 111 on left leg and 106 on the right leg. Today, I was able to use the CPM at 120. I'm hoping that by the end of next week, I am at 125 ROM. So for me so far so good. I've been involved with crossfit for a little over 3 years now. My primary goals for the first 8 weeks is to get to 145 for ROM and reduce the swelling as much as possible. Then, I'll start working more on strength and endurance, maybe as early as 5 weeks out when I'll start outpatient PT. Does this sound about right? When did you reduce or stop your pain meds?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #38
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Hi Laura
I've been doing Crossfit since 2007 Yes Sounds about right, my knee replacement was on 2 April 2012 outpatient PT started the following week. By 10 May 2012 my ROM was 0-145; I could squat down to 90 degrees. I reduce my pain meds at 5 - 6 weeks and stopped pain meds by the 8th week, except when I returned to work on 25 June 12. I would take one after work, PT and WOD during the first week. Now 4 months post op my knee feels especially great. Work hard but smart at PT, its great to be with out the constant pain of osteoarthritis

Pete
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #39
Greg Griffith

Profile:

Unfortunately, I'm a having a bit of set back. I have had swelling and pain since early May. I have been back to the doctor and all is well mechanically with my knee. Also I have been back to physical therapy and I have greatly modified my cross fit workouts. At this point, I just don't know what the problem is. So far, neither does my doc.

Glad to hear that most of you are continuing to improve. I hope that Skip is better by now.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #40
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Thank you Pete and Greg. Greg, I'm sorry to hear about your swelling and pain. I can only think that ice is your friend. I don't really like it. But, since I can't really go anywhere, might as well ice. It helps manage the swelling. Keep us posted.