CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
Pete Nadeau

Profile:
Re: Total Knee Repalcement

My Doctor is very pleased with my rehab progress. He will allow me to return to work without restrictions 25 June. Physical therapy on my own with monthly appointments to check on my progress
Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
Greg Griffith

Profile:

Hope you all are still recovering well. It has been interesting to read about cross fitter's TKR recoveries and all the progress. If anyone has updates, keep posting.

I've had a small set back myself. I did the Warrior Dash in Edgewood NM a couple of weeks ago after many months of not having any significant problems with my new knee. For some reason after the dash, it really swelled up.

But the next week I went on a 400 plus bike ride with some friends in the Texas Panhandle. And that was really a good thing. Swelling and pain went away very quickly and I felt very strong on the bike. Back to normal. At least my normal.

Keep up the good work everyone.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
Greg Griffith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Nadeau View Post
My Doctor is very pleased with my rehab progress. He will allow me to return to work without restrictions 25 June. Physical therapy on my own with monthly appointments to check on my progress
I didn't see your report until after I posted.

But good for you. Your progress seems to be really good. I'm sure it will just get better.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #24
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Had a scare on Monday; I tripped on a curb and landed in an extended lunge position, TKA leg in front Jammed my new knee pretty good hurt like a #$%^&&. I went to my Ortho today, several X-rays and knee examination, very little swelling, no bruising, ROM good and the good news, no fractures or displacement of implant.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
Henry Amen

Profile:

Had PKR in April 2011. Got into CF while in PT. Been doing most all WODs since cleared by Dr. and PTist. Some modifications: step-up instead of jumping Box-Js (20-24inches), row instead of running, etc…

At my 1yr follow-up w/ the Dr., I told him I was playing doubles tennis and doing CF and that some of the lateral movements (side shuffles) were hard and I was modifying these as necessary. He (of-course) gave me lecture about running, jogging, and impact exercises; they are not recommended (see attachment in one of the previous posts by Pete Nadeau list of recommended sports and exercises).

The details he gave are very interesting: as the poly insert wears I would not feel any pain till after the metal on the implant was rubbing together. He also said the glue that is used has good compression strength but poor shear strength; which can lead to the implant loosening. Both of these would necessitate a revision or TKR.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #26
Skip Chase

Profile:

Released from PT week 6. My PT has been one of our CF clients for about 4 years. He said, "You are doing great and you know more of what to do with your body than we do."

Week 6 and 7- CF warm-up and a lot of rowing.

Week 8-one week rest and vacation in Scottsdale, AZ. The dry heat offered miraculous changes to the way my body felt.

In week 9- last night I did 3 rounds CF warm-up.
Back squat- 3 sets of 10 @ 95#
Deadlift-12, 9, 6 @ 155. Then did one rep at 225.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Over 2 months almost 3 months since TKA 2 APR 12
ROM: extension: equal to other leg, flexion: 136 degrees, just about equal as the other leg.
Pain: 0 occasionally aches, stiff in the AM and late PM.
No pain, no snap, crackle or pop and hasn’t given out
My daily exercise routine:
Physical therapy 30-45 minutes, CFW X 2, modified WOD done with deliberate and controlled form. Every third day strength training at the post gym: leg press, leg extensions and leg curls. Started working on supported pistols or one legged squats to parallel this week. I got several sets of 5; it’s been forever since I’ve done a one legged squat or pistol with that leg. Stairs I get to do at work, up no problem, down seems like I have a coordination issues, but I’m working on it
Good job Skip
Todays WOD
21-15-9 reps for time of:
135 pound Deadlift
20kilo Thrusters
8:17
Done with deliberate and controlled form. Have to work out smart
Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #28
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

TKA 2 APR 12
Completed supervised Physical therapy, my therapist and Ortho say that I have exceeded all the standard Ortho/Physical therapy goals for a TKA.
I am doing the WOD modified as necessary with deliberate and controlled form. Also I'm doing the needed PT training/exercises until my knee gets as good as it can. After 5 knee surgery’s I know the ones to do, the strength, and coordination ones.
My therapist knows Crossfit and said avoid all impact activities, and take a slow and steady approach with your big lifts, be smart about how much weight you lift, we want your knee to last at least 20 years.

Goals for 2 APR 2013 1 year anniversary
Clean & Shoulder press: my body weight
Squat: my body weight 21 reps
Deadlift: 1.5 x body weight
Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
Herb Moran

Profile:

Wow...It does seem that there are enough Crossfit TKAs to do a study. I'm now almost 4 months post surgery and really pleased. I resumed Crossfit in earnest about 6-7 weeks post surgery. I still row instead of run but note much improved depth in squats and almost no pain. I'm very appreciate of the input and remain concerned about the life-expectancy of the pad. My ortho essentially advised no weight bearing beyond a 50 degree bend. I've been ignoring that but have tried to keep the weight below 200 lb I'd be interested to learn what if any modifications other TKA recipients are making. Thanks Herb
Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #30
Karen Hayes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Moran View Post
Wow...It does seem that there are enough Crossfit TKAs to do a study. I'm now almost 4 months post surgery and really pleased. I resumed Crossfit in earnest about 6-7 weeks post surgery. I still row instead of run but note much improved depth in squats and almost no pain. I'm very appreciate of the input and remain concerned about the life-expectancy of the pad. My ortho essentially advised no weight bearing beyond a 50 degree bend. I've been ignoring that but have tried to keep the weight below 200 lb I'd be interested to learn what if any modifications other TKA recipients are making. Thanks Herb
Hi Herb-
My experience is very similar to yours. My surgery was February 8th and I started back about 6 weeks after surgery. I have been squatting and being smart but I definitely notice improved depth lately. I too row most of the time but do run once in a while and I don't notice any extra swelling and/or pain when running. I basically ,at this point, am doing everything I did pre surgery minus box jumps. I am too afraid of slipping and hitting my knee. To be honest I don't think i will ever do anything but step ups.
Good luck to everybody!
Karen