CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Evelyn Lopez

Profile:
Last chance before Gastric Bypass

Hey everyone! I am new to the boards and VERY new to CrossFit. I have only been to 4 training sessions.

I am/was in the process of getting Gastric Bypass and was about 2 months from the actual surgery. I was debating the pros about the surgery with a friend, who also happens to be a CrossFit coach. She asked me to train with her and give the surgery a little more thought.

I have to tell you all, I am loving it so far . Of course during the workout I am hurting and hating it lol.

I was not always a PT dud. I was in the Army Reserves from 2000-2006. I was a parachute rigger, so I had to be Airborne. I had a 290 on the PT test, with sit-ups being the only thing I couldn't max. However, once i left training and got back to college and back to my regular routine, the weight started piling on. Then in 2006, my daughter was born and in 2008 my son was born. I gained 60+ lbs with each of them. I have guardianship of my nephew who was born in 2009. I always tell people that even though I did not give birth to him, I gained 40lbs with him. My husband was deployed when my nephew was born and I have had him since he was 3 days old. To get through the deployment, easy, processed and fast food was what we ate the majority of the time.

I have had several friends to have the Gastric Bypass with fabulous results. It seemed like the best option for me. I am just tired of being fat and tired. I have sleep apnea, which makes my energy levels non-existent most days. I babysit full time and sometimes have 6-8 kids in my care at a time.

My goals with CrossFit are: lose weight (I would like to lose 70-75lbs), be able to score a 290+ on a PT test for a 22 yr old female (how old I was when I was in my best shape), get rid of the sleep apnea and high blood cholesterol. I would also like to improve my eating habits and the eating habits of my family. I suffer from severe social anxiety and depression that requires meds, but I have actually been off of all meds since starting CrossFit only a week ago. I think the pride I have in actually making it to the workouts and completing them is helping me immensely in this area.

I also hope to get my husband to start coming to do CrossFit with me. He is super skinny and in good general health. I just think it would be fun for us to workout together . Plus he is still active duty Army and needs to improve his PT score by about 10 points. He passes the test, but barely.

Right now I am training in my friends garage, but she will be moving in about 3 months. I would like to gain enough confidence to go to the CrossFit box in town after she leaves.

I would love to hear from people like me that were considered morbidly obese and that have had great results with CrossFit.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Last chance before Gastric Bypass

Gastric bypass doesn't fix the underlying problem that got you where you are. Get serious about your nutrition and exercise, make the life changes in a sustainable way (this means NOT heavily restrictive dieting) that you will be able to live with for the rest of your life. Keep in mind that it pretty much never gets easier, you just get better

Definitely check out Stephanie's blog. She was much like you, went through fad dieting and gastric bypass, only to regain almost all the weight she had lost. She started crossfitting and eating clean and has dropped over 100lbs, and is now a crossfit trainer & life coach.
http://www.radicalhateloss.com/p/about-stephanie.html (wfs)
Old 02-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Evelyn Lopez

Profile:

Thanks Rebecca! My coach is helping me with the diet as well. I need lots of help in that area. Thanks for posting the link about Stephanie as well, very inspiring .
Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

My friend's mom had a gastic bypass done. Let's say she was 250ish and that might have been conservative. She's wasn't a very tall person and she probably weighs half that now. She wasn't really into exercise before and at most I think she may use a treadmill these days.

Before she could even go under the knife, I think they made her lose 30-50lbs. This is pretty common I think with Lapband or gastic bypass surgery so the patient is at a lesser risk of dying on the table.

My thought on it was if she could have lost that much without, why not keep on going. To note, she has is pretty small now and has kept to her diet change.

From reading, if they do not keep up with that lifestyle change, they can regain all that weight.

Lifestyle change FTW.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Elizabeth Ruiz

Profile:

I currently have a client that started training with me in April of last year. Her story is so much like yours. She was 270lbs on the day of our first workout. Within 8 months she was down 86 pounds. She is currently going through some extreme medical issues due to her Endometriosis so we have decided to spend a few months just maintaining until everything is figured out. She still works out with me 4 times a week and runs on the side. She ran a 10k in December and is currently training for her first half marathon. Even without focusing on weight loss she has managed to drop another 10lbs, which is fantastic.

Making a lifestyle change is most important. It wasn't crossfit or myself that made her lose weight. Just keep doing what you're doing. Have goals that aren't weight related. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Personal opinion, the majority of your body composition changes, which includes weight lose, comes mainly from your diet.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

hey welcome and good luck with your journey.
stick with your exercise and sensible eating plan ( AKA lifestyle change) and you will get results.

A gastric bypass IMHO should be an absolute last ditch resort... after everything else has been given a good run. One of the benefits of CF is the community approach.. if the members of your box are a close group and supportive you get tremendous emotional support from them. The box i belong to is wonderful but a long way from the USA but there are many.. take a deep breath and go along and check out the ones that are closest to you before your friend leaves.. maybe check them out together and do a few WODS. Then you will not feel lost when she leaves.

Take each day at a time and look at the achievemenst you have made already.. the biggest being that you are being proactive about your health.

well done

cheers

Helen
Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
Evelyn Lopez

Profile:

Thanks so much for all the kind and encouraging words . Workout #5 is tonight and I am excited .
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Dave Hancock

Profile:

My thoughts on bypass surgery : Carney Wilson had the surgery in 1999 with good results. In 2006 she was on Celebrity Fit Club.

If you don't change your lifestyle its not going to work. But if you change your lifestyle, you won't need the surgery.

Keep working and be patient. Keep making goals and acknowledging the little changes as they come.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Scott Walters

Profile:

Good luck. I am going through a similar (all be it lesser) thing. The thing I always think of is that I got me here, my poor choices, so now I get my do over by making better choices every day. In my opinion, only making those choices will give me the happy, lean and healthy life I want